Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

EX JUNK's Seat Construction

I took my foam covered panels along with the sketch to the upholster and he did his "magic" on them. I might mention that I made the backing for the foam out of plywood in order for the upholster to be able to glue and staple the material. That is the ONLY wood that I used in the building of my car.

Jim

ex junk , how did you do the upper part of the inside of body, i see in previous pic,looks like a wood border ,a few inches down along the sides,what did you use
to fill in between..?
Thanks

ex junk , how did you do the upper part of the inside of body, i see in previous pic,looks like a wood border ,a few inches down along the sides,what did you use
to fill in between..?
Thanks

Take a good look at the eighth picture in the article. In there you'll see three holes that allow access to the mounting bolts to the back of the body. The mount itself is two pieces of angle bolted together to form a "Z" with one leg attached to the seat back and the other leg attached to the back of the body. I might also mention that since we made our own body the back of it is about a quarter of an inch thick and plenty strong to hold the seat back.

We made the boarder around the top inside edge of the body by filling the sides with a two part expanding foam. We then ground and sanded the foam to the desired shape. After that, we covered the finished foam with fiberglass. The result is a VERY strong body and like I mentioned before, there was NO wood used in the construction of this body.

Jim

what density did you use, ?[/QUOTE

We used an AB urethane foam. If you can't readily find it, I suggest that you try boat repair shops.

Jim

Jim,howmuch of a step between the border of the top rail and the mounting surface of the interior panels did you make for the panels to sit flush?

Bill

ps.Its been quite awhile since my last post,"life gets in the way LoL". Ill be posting some pics this weekend,lots of progress

Jim,howmuch of a step between the border of the top rail and the mounting surface of the interior panels did you make for the panels to sit flush?

Bill

ps.Its been quite awhile since my last post,"life gets in the way LoL". Ill be posting some pics this weekend,lots of progress

The step measures about 3/8".

Jim

Junk: Could that foam be used to fill in a door area when I cut out the door? Would it be strong enough?

Junk: Could that foam be used to fill in a door area when I cut out the door? Would it be strong enough?

Yes, but you'd still have to glass over it. What you are actually creating with this foam and fiberglass covering is much like a boat and they are quite strong. On my car you can rap your knuckles on my body sides and hear a very loud thud which indicate to me that the sides are very strong. IMHO

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back