Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Feel like a kid at christmas

Jim, what kind of tubing did you use. I wasn't quite sure how to setup some internal bearings. By the way yours looks great.

Eric

Since I'm a retired electrician, Eric, I used a scrap piece of 1 1/2" aluminum conduit which has an OD of about 1 7/8". I sanded and polished the conduit for a little "bling". You could, however, use some exhaust tubing or better yet, stainless exhaust tubing because it can be polished to look like chrome.

I used a standard 3/4" double "D" shaft. With that, all you have to do is get the ID of the tube that you are going to use and go to a bearing supply place with that dimension for the proper bearings. Or you could have a nylon bushing turned up on a lathe if you prefer.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I thinbk I will give it a try and see what happens. I have a lathe so I can turn a piece of nylon to fit.

Well I spent three hours today trying to figure out exactly were my steering column needs to be. I think I finally figured it out, I only drilled a small hole and stuck a welding rod through the hole. I like the way it looks, so I will now move forward and drill a hole. I also made my seat bottom.

Eric

Built the outer sleeve and the base plate for my steering column, and got it installed. Trying to get it in just the right spot became a challenge, I had tovget the right angle to meet up with the dash, clear the frame,engine, header and the engine mount. I see why guys use corvair steering boxes. I'm running a vega steering box. I have to go pick up bearings for the center shaft and I will have a functioning column.

Is antbody running a vega steering setup, I would really like to see pictures of all the steering linkage? I know that I'm going to have too install a support bearing in the shaft going to the steering box.

Eric

Some pictures of my front shock mounts, and my steering column and drop that I built this week.[/ATTACH]

Eric

I have made a bit of progress since the last time I posted any pictures.

For ExJunk (Jim) I went ahead and built my own steering column. Thanks for pushing me forward to build my own.

I went ahead and got a photobucket account, and posted all the pictures I have of my build so far

http://photobucket.com/eafree

Eric

Wheels and tires are on the christmas wish list. I really would like to be done by christmas, that would be the ideal wish.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I am not sure how I have missed this thread until now, but I have reviewed everything and I am very impressed with your progress and skills :). Keep up the great work..

eafree said:
Thanks Jim, I thinbk I will give it a try and see what happens. I have a lathe so I can turn a piece of nylon to fit.

Eric,

This is what I had done with mine last year prior to the disassembly for the metal body. What I actually did was turn a piece of aluminum to fit the id of the tube leaving a lip on the plug to match the od. Then I bored the id of the aluminum to recieve the nylon. When all was said and done, I polished the aluminum cap.

On another note to all, does anyone run turn signals? If so, have you adapted a standard automotive upper portion with the switching to the outer shaft of a standard T column?

On another note to all, does anyone run turn signals?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't turn signals required? I only ask, because I had a $115 ticket for not using my turn signals turning into my driveway in front of a cop and it still irretates me a year and a half later. :mad:

Thanks Steve for the comment on my build. I have played around with alot of different ideas on this car. I have to give credit to ExJunk for the steering column, I was going to by one from Speedway, but he talked me into building one, glad he did.

As far as turn signals, There is a thread on here about a steering column that someone fabbed with a turn signal switch. I don't remember who it was, I will try and find the post.

Jbisme, I think that I'm going to use a pushbutton turn signal set up, I've seen tis done and I think that it was pretty neat. It's not for everyone, you have to build what you want and the way that you want it. It doesn't matter what other people think as long as your happy with your design.

Eric

eafree said:
Thanks Steve for the comment on my build. I have played around with alot of different ideas on this car. I have to give credit to ExJunk for the steering column, I was going to by one from Speedway, but he talked me into building one, glad he did.

As far as turn signals, There is a thread on here about a steering column that someone fabbed with a turn signal switch. I don't remember who it was, I will try and find the post.

Jbisme, I think that I'm going to use a pushbutton turn signal set up, I've seen tis done and I think that it was pretty neat. It's not for everyone, you have to build what you want and the way that you want it. It doesn't matter what other people think as long as your happy with your design.

Eric,

I did take a look at the "scratch built steering column" thread, but when it came up, it had no sketches or info other than dialog between the menbers, etc. I will send youngster a pm asking for info.

Thanks,

For those wanting to have turn signals on the column, i have used the quaderant from the top of a Corvair jacket adapted to a length of exaust tubing. Dodge and Ford pickups from the '60's and early '70's will work too.

Ron

I am using the module from speedway for my turn signals. I have 2 momentary PB on a panel on the front of my seat . They have built in timers for turn or lane change and work GREAT.

Push button turn signals? Never seen them before, but it sounds like a good idea. If you come up with them, post the picture.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back