Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Frame thickness

Wouldn't it cause a binding with the suspension arc based off of the 4 bar setup? I like it because I am looking at getting rid of my top mounted watts link because it hits the body under severe bumps. Your setup is nice, clean and low.

Wouldn't it cause a binding with the suspension arc based off of the 4 bar setup? I like it because I am looking at getting rid of my top mounted watts link because it hits the body under severe bumps. Your setup is nice, clean and low.

There is absolutely no binding, the front mount of the wishbone is a slip joint. Check the attached picture.

IMG_0676_2.jpg

Jim

That is a pretty trick idea, how much side to side movement do you get with that setup?

Jim,
Actually, you are saying that the panhard bar set up is fighting the true natural path the rear end is/should follow?
Mark

Jim,
Actually, you are saying that the panhard bar set up is fighting the true natural path the rear end is/should follow?
Mark

This is true and to minimize that effect you must make the panard bar as long as possible.

Jim

That's correct. On full size cars I've seen them almost as wide as the inside of the frame. The frame bracket welded to the frame on one side, and the axle bracket welded to the farthest opposite point possible. I've seen some T cars with bars that are only maybe 18" long. That doesn't make for good working geometry.

you also want to keep your panhard bar as close to horizonal as possible to minimize the side shifting affect it has on the axle

My rear panhard bar is about 28" long. The arithmetic says that if the frame bumps up 2" in the air, my body will shift sideways 1/16 of an inch. That's not very much. Even with an 18" panhard bar the sideways movement is between 3/32 and 1/8 of an inch on a 2" bump.

I agree the amount of side movement is small on a t-bucket because of the short suspension travel. But if your panhard bar is on a downward angle it will pull when the axle travels down and push it away when the axle travels up. On my suspension having the panhard bar on as little as 5 deg. down angle increased side travel from 3/16" to 7/16"

Ex Junk's chassis is a work of art!

wish.jpg
RACE-MART has a setup for $138

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back