Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front spring perch

"The Bat" out of hell said:
If your dealing with one that has been done wrong angle,but don't wish to redo it [paint /frame design/what ever],you can make some wedges to put between spring and perch to fix the angle/// it is also needed to move axle so it is lined up for free shackel movement.;)

I believe that this is what The Bat out of hell is referring to. When I originally got my bucket (already built, but nothing right), the car drove like a granny in a parking lot :hiding:. I couldnt keep it in a straight line and these great guys of the forum diagnosed my photos and agreed that the car had no caster at all. Since everything was already welded, painted, etc, and since I couldn't get the angle needed without twisting everything, here was my soultion. I machined two simple wedges (top & bottom of spring) to obtain the required degree of angle and Viola, this fixed everything related to the front end and handling.

IMG_1205_1Large.jpg

Very clean and simple fix to a running car. Thanks for posting it.

Ron

Anytime my friend...:welxome:

sorry i should have read the previous posts

So i think by adding the wedges you just corrected the dif in castor between the axel and the spring. right.

rooster57 said:
Ok help me out here. how can a wedge in the spring put caster in the front axel??? If the spring mounts to the shackel and then to the batwings they pivot in the castor angle. But the clevises set the castor IE run the top one in and bottom one out on both sides and castor is neg. I understand that the spring needs to be in the same plane but not 100 percent nessessery. Where did i go wrong.
Roost, You never did go wrong.. the only real reason for wanting the spring to ride level is so that it will not want the other leaves to try and slide off the main leaf, and it has nothing to do with caster, rearward angle of the axle boss controls that.. I used to build the caster into my axles, then the axle did not have to lean back so far.. for a more straight up and down look... Drive safe :welxome:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back