Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It's alive!

JetMech727

I did the initial fire and cam break-in on my car Sunday. Everything went smooth and problem free. The engine lit right off and was leak free. Once I gave the cam ample break-in time I rechecked timing and backed her out of the garage for a test drive. The plan initially was just to drive through the neighborhood and give her a little exercise. But she felt so good and the turn onto hwy 88 was right there. I couldn't resist just a quick bonzai. Pulled onto 88, lit em up and she went straight as an arrow. Made the 1/4 mile pass and ducked back into our neighborhood at the next entrance. Good thing I know most of the cops in my little town because I had no plates on the car, open headers and left a smoke trail to follow me by. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::roflmao:

I'm getting ready to warm her up here to do her first oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great, I like the open headers !!!

I dropped the windshield frame off Friday to have glass cut. Should have it back this coming week some time. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the rubber moulding between frame and cowl yet. Might just leave a tongue depresser sized gap instead? 2019-02-10 02.42.46.jpg

Last edited:
I dropped the windshield frame off Friday to have glass cut. Should have it back this coming week some time. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the rubber moulding between frame and cowl yet. Might just leave a tongue depresser sized gap instead? View attachment 16068

That's truly a very pretty car.

I like the cleaner look of not having the rubber cowl strip, but suspect that having it will give better support to the windshield across the full width and help to damp vibration.

Haven't decided if I'm going to use the rubber moulding between frame and cowl yet.
If you drive it much, eventually you will get caught in the rain and that rain will run down inside the dash. Of course the water is everywhere coming of the tires. Although I didn't have a seal on mine a couple of years ago and got caught in a down pour and had no problems.

The joy of driving it in the rain can be quickly diminished by the amount of work to dry it off and clean it up again! Been there/ done that.

I like the cleaner look of not having the rubber cowl strip

Agreed.

If you drive it much, eventually you will get caught in the rain and that rain will run down inside the dash. Of course the water is everywhere coming of the tires. Although I didn't have a seal on mine a couple of years ago and got caught in a down pour and had no problems.

Past experience tells me the water coming from between frame and cowl would be more annoying then the water coming from everywhere else.

The joy of driving it in the rain can be quickly diminished by the amount of work to dry it off and clean it up again! Been there/ done that.

So true. I may end up being one of those fair weather guys I use to talk about. As I get older some things have changed and I'm not the rebel I once was. :D

So true. I may end up being one of those fair weather guys I use to talk about. As I get older some things have changed and I'm not the rebel I once was. :D
But where are you going to hide, when you are 1/2 way on a 6 hour trip ??? LOL !!!

I'm talking about a long trip out of town, not watching the local weather channel from
your recliner and deciding on a 1 hour local cruise.

I. Found what work good if caught in rain ,a poncho ,it ls long covers your. Lap. Also has a hood. I have used mine a few times. It is a rain coat type poncho.

Yup, I spent hours cleaning and preparing my bike for the rolling thunder ride last year and it rained all the way there, part of the time there, and all the way home... I gave up on having a nice daily driver here in Ohio, it is a never ending task trying to keep anything clean.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back