Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

JAG ring and pinion.

Or changed from 2.88 gears and can remember what had to be done.
What ring and pinion to buy.

Chris, my understanding is the ring and pinion are standard Dana 44 parts. You are going to have to completely blow the rear end apart to get to the ring gear. You'll need to remove the brake calipers, the half-shafts, the brake rotors, the stub axles, the diff cover, the carrier bearing caps and the carrier to be able to remove and replace the ring gear. Pinion is pretty standard r&r.

Chris, my understanding is the ring and pinion are standard Dana 44 parts. You are going to have to completely blow the rear end apart to get to the ring gear. You'll need to remove the brake calipers, the half-shafts, the brake rotors, the stub axles, the diff cover, the carrier bearing caps and the carrier to be able to remove and replace the ring gear. Pinion is pretty standard r&r.

I found a local place that will do the rebuild for $175. But I need to supply the parts.
I just want to make sure that if I buy 3.54 gears their isn't anything special I need to worry about.
Like needing a THICK ring gear. The carrier is salisbury. I'm going to keep that.

If you use the Jaguar ring and pinion for the salisbury LSD, it's a straight swap. Try to do this but new parts will be scarce as rocking horse sh1t, I bet.
Keeping the Jaguar Salisbury LSD is also a good idea because the Jag stub axles are 19 spline, and its not such a bad LSD. The Jag pinion splines are also unique, so keep to a Jag gear set and no worries. Tell your builder not to rely on backlash, that he needs to check the tooth contact pattern as a final assurance.

You can also use the Dana 44 ring and pinion to 3.77, the bolts that mount the ring to the carrier need a sleeve kit because there is 1/16" difference, and some carriers need a spacer ring between the ring and carrier, I think thats what you mean by a "thick ring gear". The Dana pinion mounts a GM spline yoke, can't use the Jag one.

Auburn, for one US manufacturer, make a 19 spline LSD that mounts Dana 44 gears as standard, but the pinion takes a GM spline yoke.

If you use the Jaguar ring and pinion for the salisbury LSD, it's a straight swap. Try to do this but new parts will be scarce as rocking horse sh1t, I bet.
Keeping the Jaguar Salisbury LSD is also a good idea because the Jag stub axles are 19 spline, and its not such a bad LSD. The Jag pinion splines are also unique, so keep to a Jag gear set and no worries. Tell your builder not to rely on backlash, that he needs to check the tooth contact pattern as a final assurance.

You can also use the Dana 44 ring and pinion to 3.77, the bolts that mount the ring to the carrier need a sleeve kit because there is 1/16" difference, and some carriers need a spacer ring between the ring and carrier, I think thats what you mean by a "thick ring gear". The Dana pinion mounts a GM spline yoke, can't use the Jag one.

Auburn, for one US manufacturer, make a 19 spline LSD that mounts Dana 44 gears as standard, but the pinion takes a GM spline yoke.
What Mango Said!
Tell your builder not to rely on backlash, that he needs to check the tooth contact pattern as a final assurance.
That is a very common error, though the backlash is important, that 'pattern is what makes and breaks gears. A good well setup rear will have the pressure put onto the gears teeth in such a way as to spread out the pressure on those teeth, also allowing the gears to run cooler and longer. And its time well spent!
I usually set things up to run the collect pattern first, then as I'm adjusting, I pull in on the backlash.
I've been called in from a Long way away just to set up rears, and believe it or not, a Jag if set up properly is almost indestructible....

Any of you would happen to know what year make and model Chevy had a dana 44 with 3.54 gears?

Check out this website. http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/JaguarIRS1.html

I'm surprised Lee didn't mentioned it. ;) On Page 4 (IV) he talks about ring and pinion and even lists part numbers.
Page 2 he has this chart

Year Model Series Track Width Gear Ratios Powerlock Oddity
1960-1963 XKE I 53.125” 3.54:1 all hub
1964-1967 XKE II 53.125” 3.54:1 or 3.31:1 some hub
1968-1970 XKE III 53.125” 3.31:1 some hub
1970-1974 XKE 56" 3.31:1 some hub
1960-1969 3.8S 56" 4.54:1 or 3.31:1 some
1969-1973 XJ6 & XJ12 I 61.75” 3.54:1 XJ12 Ball bearing stub axles
1974-1979 XJ6 & XJ12 II 61.75” 3.31:1 or 3.07:1 XJ12
1980-1981 XJ6 & XJ12 III 61.75” 3.07:1 or 2.88:1 XJ12
1982-1987 XJ6 & XJ12 III 61.75” 2.88:1 XJ12

I'm surprised Lee didn't mentioned it. ;)

I totally forgot he got into the diff particulars in that series. I always think of that series when I'm talking about shortening half-shafts and lower control arms!! CRS is starting to kick my a$$!! :rolleyes:

Was thinking of going to the pick a part here, finding a dana 44 in a Chevy with 3.54 or if need be 3.42.
I'll open the case and count the teeth. Save me some money.

One thing I noticed on that site Page IV is the NOTE 04/09/10 about the 2.88 gears needing a think gear.
I taked to 2 places now that sell the gears and the Jag bearing and race kit to go from jag ring and pinion to dana 44 ring and pinion.
Both said I don't need a thick gear if I'm going 3.73 or less.

Randys Ring and Pinion has good information and most drive line components for anything out there.

Called Hamilton Automotive in Van Nuys, CA Tel 818 787-9695
They have everything I need. I do need a thick ring or a spacer. That place makes a spacer, and has the sleeves, and longer bolts to go from 7/16 to 3/8.
The guy I spoke to answered all my questions. He's busy today. So I need to call him tomorrow for the pricing.
:) happy day.

If you are up to it, just swap out the whole center section. Thats what I ended up doing, found a local jag shop and swapped them the 2.88 pumpkin for the 3.54 pumpkin. Of course this involves removing the whole rearend, but there is no special tools needed for that!

I got lucky in that the shop wanted a 2.88 rearend for his e-type that had a 3.54 :)

Of course if yours is already painted up its not really worth it.

Someone has an ad for a jag rear for sell. $450
He's going to text me later with what gears are in it. Anything other then 2.88 and I'm getting it. :)

It had no tags on it. He gave me the cast number. From that I found it's from early 70's.
So I'm looking at 3.07 or 3.31 gear.
Would that be ok with the 31" tires?

Plus no idea if it is posi.

Cast numbers: 4hu 004 25 leys L

-------
Found another. Just the center for $50 with 3.31 gears
Would 3.31 gears be ok or should I hold out for 3.54?

Chris go with Hamilton Automotive. IMHO. Keep your Salisbury posi and fit 3.7 gears. Second hand rears are a gamble that can end in tears. The Jag 3.3 is still too high unless you intend a life of freeway cruising. 3.7 is a good compromise.
As Screamin' says, set 'em up right and the Jag rears will take a real hammering. Keep an eye on the axle u joints for the slightest sign of free play because if a joint breaks the wheel collapses, not good.

k.
I think I might try and get that one for $50. with 3.31 gears. I emailed the guy asked if it was posi. Just waiting.
Then I don't need an adapter or think gear. only the sleaves. Spare parts are nice.

The one for $50 was sold. Back to getting the spacer. $65 for the spacer

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back