Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

JAG ring and pinion.

Off the topic a little, but something for Jaguar IRS enthusiasts to jot down in their notebooks. There were a few (?) thousand Jaguar models sold in the late 60's early 70's with complete Dana 44 centre sections. The Dana's can be differentiated by their flat base, absence of drain plug, separate brake caliper brackets and a squarish pinion input flange. I've just seen one, a career first, it feels like a limited slipper but the owner wouldn't let me pop the rear cover off, and if it had tags they are gone. All the extraneous bits like axles and LCA's all seem to fit, its just the centre section is different. The guy who has it cut it out of an XJ and thought it was an ordinary Jag unit.

This is a photo of the Complete Jag Bushing Kit, we also sell just the Radius Rod Bushings, but they are included in the kit. These work great and we have been using them for about thirty years.

View attachment 7259
Jerry, does this kit replace the B146 roller bearings?

I can not believe I lucked in to this forum. I was trying to make my 3.54 ring and pinion fit in a 2.88 carrier and housing, because I destroyed the 3.54 carrier, and there was no way it could possibly be shimmed over that far. I actually started out by buying a 4.09 Dana ring and pinion and had abandoned that idea. I talked to the guy from Hamilton and he has EVERYTHING I need so that I'm back in business with the 4.09. Dude is 77 years old and was just getting off the plane in Las Vegas and going to the SEMA show. Super nice guy and he knew exactly what I needed. He had everything in stock except for the bolts and said he would have them there when he got back home next Saturday so he could ship everything out to me then. I may actually go buy a lottery ticket...Also the post from the guy above that rebuilt his stub axles was very good as well. I would have never thought of setting the preload from the back side with the simple bracket he made. All of the old Jag guys just told me to use the old crush sleeve, which I did, and make sure the preload felt right afterwards. Not very scientific. I will let you guys know if the 4.09 goes in smoothly with the spacer and Dana pinion bearings

Milt, I just noticed that you are right around the corner from me. I'm in Trophy Club on the other side of Lake Grapevine. I'd like to see your ride when you have some time and I will be glad to help with any of the rear end stuff you are working on. Chris

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back