Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

JAG ring and pinion.

IMHO, and bitter experience: Keep in mind that if you buy a used gear, it must be in a set. Once a crown wheel and pinion have done a few miles together they are married for life. The only risk free way is to buy a new gear set. Unless you can trust the vendor 110% to sell you a true set, don't do it. By the time a mismatched set have started being noisy there is already all through the rear case a fine oil suspended grinding paste made up of the hardening wiped off the gears.

Found this amongst my notes. As we found earlier, rather than a thick gear we can use a spacer with the 2.88 carrier.
If you are using the original Jaguar carrier you need to be aware of three different carriers. The 2.88:1 carrier will only work with 2.88:1 ring and pinion. If you have a 2.88:1 carrier and want a lower ratio you must change the carrier or buy a custom "THICK" gear. Jaguar made their break between low and midrange ratio at 3.54:1. The important thing to keep in mind when deciding whether you need the parts set up for high or low ratios (excluding the 2.88:1) is not weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana 44 but weather the ring and pinion are Jaguar or Dana 44. If the ring and pinion is Jaguar, regardless of weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana the break in ratios is between 3.54:1 and 3.76:1. But in reverse if the ring and pinion is Dana, regardless of weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana the break in ratios is between 3.73:1 and 3.92:1. http://www.cwiinc.com/
- The carrier bearings are another one of the things different between the two types of differential. Both use the same bearing race, but the I.D. of the bearings is different to accommodate the different sized bearing mounting locations on the Dana 44 or Salisbury carriers respectively. Pinion bearings are also different depending on whether you choose to use the Salisbury or Dana 44 ring and pinion. NOTE you must use matched ring and pinion sets, in other words, do not try and use a Dana 44 ring gear with the Salisbury pinion gear or vice versa. If you use Dana 44 ring and pinion, your pinion bearings will be different from the Salisbury pinion bearings. Also, the original Salisbury input flange that bolts up to the drive line yoke will not fit on the Dana 44 pinion gear, and a Dana 44 output yoke will be needed.
make sure you think through which way you want to go. By upgrading everything to Dana 44, you make things simpler for future repairs, however, a full rebuild is required and all the parts can be expensive. Also, if you retain the Salisbury ring and pinion but upgrade to a Dana 44 carrier, note that once the holes are punched out in the carrier, sleeving them to later accommodate a Dana 44 ring and pinion set will be difficult and time consuming.

Found this amongst my notes. As we found earlier, rather than a thick gear we can use a spacer with the 2.88 carrier.
If you are using the original Jaguar carrier you need to be aware of three different carriers. The 2.88:1 carrier will only work with 2.88:1 ring and pinion. If you have a 2.88:1 carrier and want a lower ratio you must change the carrier or buy a custom "THICK" gear. Jaguar made their break between low and midrange ratio at 3.54:1. The important thing to keep in mind when deciding whether you need the parts set up for high or low ratios (excluding the 2.88:1) is not weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana 44 but weather the ring and pinion are Jaguar or Dana 44. If the ring and pinion is Jaguar, regardless of weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana the break in ratios is between 3.54:1 and 3.76:1. But in reverse if the ring and pinion is Dana, regardless of weather the carrier is Jaguar or Dana the break in ratios is between 3.73:1 and 3.92:1. http://www.cwiinc.com/
- The carrier bearings are another one of the things different between the two types of differential. Both use the same bearing race, but the I.D. of the bearings is different to accommodate the different sized bearing mounting locations on the Dana 44 or Salisbury carriers respectively. Pinion bearings are also different depending on whether you choose to use the Salisbury or Dana 44 ring and pinion. NOTE you must use matched ring and pinion sets, in other words, do not try and use a Dana 44 ring gear with the Salisbury pinion gear or vice versa. If you use Dana 44 ring and pinion, your pinion bearings will be different from the Salisbury pinion bearings. Also, the original Salisbury input flange that bolts up to the drive line yoke will not fit on the Dana 44 pinion gear, and a Dana 44 output yoke will be needed.
make sure you think through which way you want to go. By upgrading everything to Dana 44, you make things simpler for future repairs, however, a full rebuild is required and all the parts can be expensive. Also, if you retain the Salisbury ring and pinion but upgrade to a Dana 44 carrier, note that once the holes are punched out in the carrier, sleeving them to later accommodate a Dana 44 ring and pinion set will be difficult and time consuming.

Make a spacer for the 288 and you can use the 354 ratio on the power loc, that what we do here in the uk

Make a spacer for the 288 and you can use the 354 ratio on the power loc, that what we do here in the uk
Yes, best bet. (adey means Salisbury, I'm sure) You can buy a spacer ring ready made, quick surf will find one.

I did find a spacer. I might get it. But I found another jag rear with 3.31 gears for $100. Guy is going to call me later to let me know if it is posi.
Hope it is. Then all I need is the 3.54 dana gears and the bolt sleeves.
I really wouldn't mind having an extra jag rear.

The one for $100 isn't posi. :-(
Can the posi be moved or is it made part of the carrier?

if i am understanding you? the carrier from the posi traction can be removed and fitted into a non posi casing , it is part of the rotating assembly in the diff. One other thing is the way the plates and clutches are stacked in the posi will effect the ammount of slippage. i built a cobra replica and installed a rebuilt posi uniyt from a jag . This has the tendancy once it hits a pool of water to spin the car around 180 degrees. the diff was set up for a heavier car, and the guy has now repaced the clutches to work better with a lighter car, more grip less facing backwards.

The limited slip unit is a complete carrier made by Salisbury, who were a division of Dana back then. They fit and remove like a normal carrier, no difference. For normal T Bucketing, the standard Jaguar Salisbury LSD is fine, applying locking under acceleration only, and coming free as soon as the power comes off. Modified units that apply locking on the over run have no place on a road car, believe me.

Got the spacer yesturday. I found a 3.54 jaguar ring and pinion today for $150. Going to pick up on saturday.

Called Hamilton Automotive in Van Nuys, CA Tel 818 787-9695
They have everything I need. I do need a thick ring or a spacer. That place makes a spacer, and has the sleeves, and longer bolts to go from 7/16 to 3/8.
The guy I spoke to answered all my questions. He's busy today. So I need to call him tomorrow for the pricing.
:) happy day.

I agree with Wild Mango, Ham is the foremost expert with Jags he also makes all specialized parts needed for Jag rearend mods. Plus he stocks alot of parts and gears. IMHO Call him at the very least you'll learn some stuff...

If anyone is still looking for the bushings that replace the roller bearings in their jag rearend, Kugel Komponents (kugelkomponents.com) makes them.

Thanks! I am in the process of rebuilding one and was looking for these.

Any chance for a part number?

Nope, I just called them for asked to order a jag bushing kit. The complete kit is $120.00.

Sorry no part number. It's not listed on there site. They don't make any other jag part anymore but these bushings. A local hot rod guy here told me that they make them.
I called Kugel Komponents 562 691 7006 and asked for a Jag bushing kit.
It includes the lower arm inner and outer and where the hub connects to the lower arm.

My kit will be here Monday. I'll post a pic.

Randys Ring and Pinion has good information and most drive line components for anything out there.
I have done business with with randy's Great people!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back