Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mechanical Cooling Fan

Mr. Fixit

I would like to get some feedback on cooling fans please. Do most folks use a typical mechanical fan with a shroud, or electric fan with shroud, or mechanical with no shroud??? When my car was last running it would tend to run very hot and I wonder if the fan was too small or??. My radiator is one of the all aluminum speedway T radiator units. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks..

I have a flex fan and no shroud. I run Water Wetter from Redline, and NO thermostat. It only gets hot in the hottest days in heavy traffic, like a parade. as long as I don't get caught in traffic I can run her in 120 degree temps without overheating.

I'm running a 16" 2750 cfm electric fan on an aluminum radiator with no shroud, and my temps are great. Fan is controlled by a temp switch in the driver's side cylinder head... on at 210, off at 190. Temp hovers right around 200, even on the hottest days in traffic.

I'm running a 16" puller w/full shroud,switch in lower rad. tank. 100* air temp. in traffic stays under 200, and still cycles!!

The cooling area (finned) of my radiator is 16" tall by 17 1/2" wide so it seems that I would not be able to use a 16" fan with a shroud. The prior fan that I had was a 16" flex fan with no shroud and once the engine heated up, the temp would never get back to a cozy 200 or so. It would also make pee pee on the ground from the overflow regardless of how much fluid was in the radiator. I am running a 160 thermostat now after the 180 didnt work either. Oh, forgot to mention I am in sunny south Fla. I would greatly appreciate any photos to help me understand my options.

Thanks..

I use the rag at idle (TEST) to see if I need more fan, put a shop towel up to the front of the radiator, just under the top tank, if it will stay in place at only a normal idle, that should be good for that fan... If you can get even a 1 inch bigger/longer fan blade in behind your radiator, that will pull a lot more air, use as big a fan as will clear... and I also use as small a water pump pulley as I can find... I run no thermostat in mine... works great in HOT Bakersfield... :)

I use the rag at idle (TEST) to see if I need more fan, put a shop towel up to the front of the radiator, just under the top tank, if it will stay in place at only a normal idle, that should be good for that fan... If you can get even a 1 inch bigger/longer fan blade in behind your radiator, that will pull a lot more air, use as big a fan as will clear... and I also use as small a water pump pulley as I can find... I run no thermostat in mine... works great in HOT Bakersfield... :)

I like the rag test idea. I will try that as soo as I get he running again. DO you run a shroud? I was thinking that I can get a mechanical fan about 3/4" away from the rad, but dont want to get closer even though my engine is rigid mounted. Thoughts?

I like the rag test idea. I will try that as soo as I get he running again. DO you run a shroud? I was thinking that I can get a mechanical fan about 3/4" away from the rad, but dont want to get closer even though my engine is rigid mounted. Thoughts?

I don't use a shroud, per say, the sides and top of my Brass radiator are 6 inches wide, the rad inside is only 3 inches thick, so the blade is hidden from the side by that... 3/4" from the core is the norm you are trying for. What do you mean by rigid mount? no rubber or flex material at all?? I found that solid engine mounting plates or mounts, ended up vibrating way to many things loose on the whole car, even the nuts that hold gauges and wires worked their way loose, changed the mounts and problem solved, not to mention the Wife would ride again... :)

I don't use a shroud, per say, the sides and top of my Brass radiator are 6 inches wide, the rad inside is only 3 inches thick, so the blade is hidden from the side by that... 3/4" from the core is the norm you are trying for. What do you mean by rigid mount? no rubber or flex material at all?? I found that solid engine mounting plates or mounts, ended up vibrating way to many things loose on the whole car, even the nuts that hold gauges and wires worked their way loose, changed the mounts and problem solved, not to mention the Wife would ride again... :)

Yes, engine and tranny are rigidly mounted with no rubber mounts. When the car was last running, vibrations were probably the only issue I wasnt having. lol I am now thinking that I can redesign my shroud and accommodate a 16" fan. Thanks..

Yes, engine and tranny are rigidly mounted with no rubber mounts. When the car was last running, vibrations were probably the only issue I wasnt having. lol I am now thinking that I can redesign my shroud and accommodate a 16" fan. Thanks..

I did a car for a fellow that had to have solid mounts, why? CRS thought he had a racer I think, well with road bumps and bad dips, it was not too long after that, that the alum, trans bell housing broke, frame flexed and the engine assembly did not want too... OPPS!! Just a thought. :)

I can understand why you guys run electrics, they can pull some really good amounts of air through a radiator, so much more efficient than a mechanical especially in stop and go traffic in really hot weather. Thing is, to me a T bucket just doesn't seem right without seeing that mechanical fan go round and round, call me sick but that is just a cool sight.

I can understand why you guys run electrics, they can pull some really good amounts of air through a radiator, so much more efficient than a mechanical especially in stop and go traffic in really hot weather. Thing is, to me a T bucket just doesn't seem right without seeing that mechanical fan go round and round, call me sick but that is just a cool sight. Plus to do the electrics right, they need some big 10-12gauge wire feeds and same size ground a stout relay and temp sender and more wire then how to hide all that hideous stuff.

Sorry for repeat post

The look is awsome but with no shroud you loose eficiency and you can overheat, thats why electric seems better. You can also try to put your fan as close to de rad to get more efficency. But the best way is a nice CHROME electric fan.best
I can understand why you guys run electrics, they can pull some really good amounts of air through a radiator, so much more efficient than a mechanical especially in stop and go traffic in really hot weather. Thing is, to me a T bucket just doesn't seem right without seeing that mechanical fan go round and round, call me sick but that is just a cool sight.

I use an aluminum radiator for a early Mustang with a 16" puller fan. I have not had any trouble with it over heating, I run a 195 temp thermastat and it generally run around 180 to 200. And I went to a car show in June when the high was 118 degrees, and it only got up to 220 when I was running 70mph.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back