Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New blower manifold self built

OK, I'm gonna give you a crash course in blower belt pulley alignment. Here goes....
As I'm looking at that pic, the belt is walking on toward the blower. All gaskets are compressible to a certain extent. If its just a little bit, as looks like this is the case, what you do is bust out the wrenches.
1st thing you want to do, loosen your belt a bit. On your front blower cover, NOT THE ENDPLATE, but on the blower cover that the snout bearings are in, barely loosen the top bolts, then tighten the lower cover bolts. Tighten your belt. Start the motor and see which way it walks. Let it run for a while. Sometimes it takes a while for things to seat, the same goes for gaskets. If that didn't make it walk toward the center of the pulley, barely loosen the rear 4 blower housing to blower intake plate bolts ever so slightly. The way I do it is, I untorque it somewhat, then adjust my torque wrench -5 to -8 lbs. Then on the front 4, I tighten them 5 to 8 lbs. Then start her up and see if she walks toward the center of the pulley. If your getting close, back off about 5 or 8 lbs. on your rear 4 intake bolts, and snug the front 4 down about 5 or 8. As long as your close, your OK....it doesn't have to be perfect, but if that belt has walked off the pulley any at all, Big Mojo Fubar is fixin to happen! Gotta correct it before you run it too much or it'll try to gave babies on you. the amount of the belt thats off the pulley start flopping and start getting frayed, and will eventually separate from the rest, then it'll start shredding, trying to grab anything thats close, at that point I back off and tell the driver to kill it.

Now, if just tightening the bolts don't get ya where you need to be, leave everything where it needs to be, loosen your idler pulley, loosen off on your front blower cover bolts. Get your rubber mallet, tap the cover at the top, place about a .015-.020 shim between the endplate and your cover, one on each side, then tighten down your cover down. Tighten your idler, start it and watch. If that was it, cut a piece of .015 shim, trim it to fit your housing, put a really light coating of sealer on both sides of shim, wait for it to cure, put it in and tighten down. Tight all all things up and tighten as needed to make your belt walk to the center of the pulley. As long as your toward the middle of the pulley and the belt isn't hanging off, your OK. BUT, in the middle is good!!!! Shoot for that!
If when you first install your blower setup, and it is walking off your pulleys, STOP!. You'll have to loosen things and shift things around. Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen sometimes.....
Over all the years I've done this, I've learned that .010 to .015 will correct belt walk about 1/2 on a 3" belt. But, thats how its done. There are also front and rear pulley plates you can put on to keep this from happening, but it'll screw up the edge of your belt if its riding hard against it.

That is a fast, dirty version of how to align. Sometimes, you have to take things back completely apart, and apply your gasket sealer thicker in the spots, so, you can tighten the bolts to have enough adjustment.

Hope this helps someone out there.....

We had several back in the machine shop days that were aligned so bad they ended up tearing the motor completely down. Reassembled with just main caps, heads and the blower manifold on it. The set the whole assembly in the mill that was used for decking blocks and trued the blower manifold with the center line of the crank. Lots of work, but had to be done.

Hahaha....see you and I have fought that blower belt demon before! hahaha......usually when in my shop, before I ever start putting all the guts in, I dummy everything together with just the crank/block, heads on, put the blower assemble totally on, then spin it over with a large electric motor. Got to let it run for a few moments....things expand and shift. The BAD ONES act up right from the start.
On my big rollaround, I have one drawer full of old gaskets that came off in one piece, I assemble the motor using those.--- For anyone that wants their gaskets not to stick, go to the drugstore and get some roll-on deodorant and coat your gaskets. They'll pop right off for assembly purposes....this is especially useful on carb gaskets, metering plate and bowl gaskets and those for base plates.---
I have some aluminum wedges I back off on the blower mounting bolts, start tapping those in, tighten everything down, and give it a go agian, do that till its tracking straight, then I measure the gap between the blower and blower plate.
Pull the intake can cut it so the blower fits where its supposed to.
Yes, I have the oilpump in the block, pan on, oil flowing to the mains and driving the crank from the rear flange, valvecovers and timing cover are all on place.....
Don't happen often to me but when it does, its usually a doozy! You can usually see something is amiss when you lay your straight edge across those pulleys.....

Like you Screaming Metal I've run blowers for many years on wheelstanders, pulling tractors, fuel altereds, and boats. But in this case the pully is 3 1/2" and the belt is 3". So the belt is making full contact with the pully and not hanging over the edge. My idler pully I made and has higher sides then normal which will keep belt running in line just in case(blower belts don't like water). I've run in much-o rain for many many miles. I realy need to machine 1/4" off the drive snout and this will make it look correct, but it is more fun this way. Been running it like this for many years. My complete drive system I made and all the brackets. I used to build blowers for others at one time. Always strikes up a great converation.

:thumbsup:

Driving bucket today with "Powerjection 3" EFI. It has a learning computer which is working just SUPER. 0-70 in a hurry. Learning curve takes a while, so have LOTS of time to run it up and down the road at many different speeds. Ooohhhhhhya "Screaming Metal" I machined 1/4" off snout so da pully shows on both sides just a ettteeeeeeeeeeeee bit. Just for "U" big boy !!!!! weelstang

That Powerjection 3 is the cleanest SD injection I've seen. Professional products has some really cool parts. I'm running one of their distributors tha you can advance or retard with a turn of a thumb wheel. Do you have any pics of the unit all wired at the throttle body?

Ok boys the Powerjection is learning and bucket runs just great. This baby will fly when punched, but I like nice fuel milage instead. sooooon X me

Hey Stang, let us know what kinda mileage your getting!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back