Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear axle clearance

Track T-4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What is a reasonable amount of clearance between the rear axle and the chassis? I recently drove to a car show on some bumpy roads and the "T" bottomed out more than I would like....knocked some paint off the top of the rear axle on both sides. :D I noticed the adjustment on the rear coil overs is cranked all the way up so new coilovers are probably in the near future. I only have about 1-3/4" between the rear axle and the chassis - what should it be? :confused:

I do plan to change the shocks and springs but I'm wondering what others have for the amount of clearance between the axle and the chassis.

I like to shoot for 3".

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I'll shoot for 3".

Bruce

There is always that weight loss program also.But I don't care how i try it never seems to work.LOL

Bruce, I have 2 1/4" clearance between my rear axle housing and the 1" urethane bumper that I mounted on the bottom of the frame rail above the housing. I am running the Carrera coil-overs from speedway. The part number is 225-2254X (850lbs.). I have quite a few miles on my car and have yet to bottomed out. Even if it were to bottom out, the urethane bumper will not allow metal to metal contact.

Another thing that may contribute to never having bottomed out is that I weigh 160 pounds and my wife weighs 110 pounds. (Not bragging, just facts.) LOL

Jim

Since the rear-end placement will be my next step this is great timing and info.

A question for you folks... the clearance you are speaking of.. is that with weight added for you, a passenger and a tank of gas? That would make a difference, even for a 160lb guy and his 110lb wife. ;)

EX JUNK; Bruce, I have 2 1/4" clearance between my rear axle housing and the 1" urethane bumper that I mounted on the bottom of the frame rail above the housing.

Even if it were to bottom out, the urethane bumper will not allow metal to metal contact.

EX JUNK makes a very good point about using a rubber or urethane bumper to limit rearend travel. Do Not let your shocks limit the travel by bottoming out the compression stroke as you will damage them. Use a frame bumper. Some coilover shocks have a bumper on the shaft above the body but I would prefer a seperate fixed stop on the frame. Just my thoughts on the subject.

George

Ex Junk,

That part number isn't recognized on their website, maybe they stopped offering them?

Bruce

Track T4 I think ExJunk might have meant the 255-2254x, the x is a designator for spring rate. if you are using a solid axle and want 850 pound shocks add the letter B in place of the x.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back