Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Silver bolts

Oh and ley me add....you gotta run 500 cu.in. on a certain bore Centers, yada, yada, yada...Blower above the intake manifold, no offset drive pulleys, limited to a roots type blower, no hi helical rotor types allowed, your rotors can't be over a certain size and a certain length. and have to be of the 71 series. And nothing above a 14-71 is allowed.....

And that is just the tip of the iceburg!

Lil Demon's NHRA Rules Section 1A
http://findfastcars.com/NHRARules.html - 100k - similar pagesEither grade is acceptable for use in FIA competition, and racers should .... least eight 7/16-inch (11.1 mm) diameter grade 8 (or Class 12.9) bolts or high ...

NHRA West Central Division news: NHRA Technical Rule Changes for 2009
http://www.nhradiv5.com/apcm/templates/divnews.asp?articleid=33889&zoneid=15 - 51k - similar pagesSuspension: Four-link rear-suspension car may use a single spring and shock .... or four 3/8-inch Grade 8 fasteners per 100 pounds and be NHRA accepted. ... Helmet Shroud: Bolt heads must be 1/2-inch hex-style head; no clearance slots ...

I guess Competition Engineering and alot of the other suspension mfg.'ers are going to have to recall all their suspension preducts soon....not to mention the top chassis builders around the country

Building Hot Rod Rear Suspension - Street Rodder Magazine
http://www.streetrodderweb.com / tech / 0902sr_building_hot_rod_ / index.html - 93k - similar pagesWhen designing or choosing suspension concepts to use in your hot rod, ... slug and drilled it for a 5/8-inch Grade 8 bolt to be welded into place from the inside. .... After de-burring the front of the shortened (14 inches) radius rod, ...

They even use them in street projects also....hum....

a 5/8-inch Grade 8 bolt to be welded into place from the inside.

I'm totally surprised that any competent publication would recommend welding a Grade 8 bolt. The micro structure resulting from heat treating which gives a Grade 8 bolt it's mechanical properties would be altered, thus making it's strength an unknown and possibly leading to failure.

Bob

You too can build a slingshot that works as good as this one. Our car ran 9.992 with a basically stock small block 302 Ford with injection. Some where around 285 HP !! puts you in the 9s. A mild small block chevy or windsor would put you in the mid to low 9s at 150 mph. We are in the process of building our new engine to run 7.50s.

Old Style Straight Axle Front End

No A-Arms here. we only build nostalgia looking rails. We use SPE Anglia Style spindles with 3 arm steering. 5/8" radius rods and steering linkage come pre-tapped with chrome moly rod ends and grade 8 hardware. Nothing else to buy...we make it easy for you to build.

Certified Cage with Nostalgia Look

We build all our frame kits with single spine cage to give it a nostalgia look. Cage is up to date with 1" helmet bars and 1 1/2" main tubes. Our upper rail is upswept to keep the cage short looking, much like a Gilmore car. We have had guys in our car that were 6 ft 5 inch tall and up to 300 lbs.

Now here is something nobody has mentioned. Where were these bolts made?

China, India, Taiwan, Turkey..... Then just because it is gold anodized and has the grade 8 markings, is it just old rebar from from China.

China, India, Taiwan, Turkey..... Then just because it is gold anodized and has the grade 8 markings, is it just old rebar from from China.

I mentioned it in my second post on page one.

Here we go again...:eek:uch:

This has been covered on this site and others over and over...In the end you should install what makes you comfortable. I used Totally Stainless Grade 8+ and ARP Stainless Steel bolts on my front suspension.

I'll go get my popcorn and sit the rest of this out! :news:
Move over and give me a box....I'm done....

Damn... I ran out of popcorn...

Totally Stainless' high strength SS bolts and the ARP high strength SS bolts are USA made. These are not cheap fasteners of unknown quality. I got one of the ARP 3/8 bolts cross threaded and I hammered on it and even tried to snap it by twisting it with a 3' cheater bar; I finally had to cut it off with a die grinder. I'd trust them over any grade 5 or 8 I bought at Lowes...

With all that being said... again its back to what you trust. I doubt that a grade 5 or higher would fail in our application unless you hit something... But the thread was started about Shiny silver suspension bolts, and the Totally Stainless and ARP bolts are really the only game in town.

Damn... I ran out of popcorn...

Here ya go
new_popcornsmiley.gif
and a Dr Pepper
drpepper.jpg

I guess Competition Engineering and alot of the other suspension mfg.'ers are going to have to recall all their suspension preducts soon....not to mention the top chassis builders around the country

Oh the **** talking has started... And it is started by someone that doesnt understand what were talking about, and doesnt understand how what he is linking to is different than what I am describing. Nice... Since you seem so intent on proving me wrong, Screaming Metal, let me use your links to both defend myself, and prove your stupidity.

Lil Demon's NHRA Rules Section 1A
http://findfastcars.com/NHRARules.html - 100k - similar pagesEither grade is acceptable for use in FIA competition, and racers should .... least eight 7/16-inch (11.1 mm) diameter grade 8 (or Class 12.9) bolts or high ...

I read that page three times. And never found that quote. Or anything relevent to this conversation. But I did find that quote in a google search. Here it is in its entirety "The motor plate must be fastened to the flywheel shield with at least eight 7/16-inch (11.1 mm) diameter grade 8 (or Class 12.9) bolts or high strength"
Yeah... Motor plate fastening ? Did you even bother to read these before linking to them ? We are discussing suspension mounting on street driven T buckets !

NHRA West Central Division news: NHRA Technical Rule Changes for 2009
http://www.nhradiv5....33889&zoneid=15 - 51k - similar pagesSuspension: Four-link rear-suspension car may use a single spring and shock .... or four 3/8-inch Grade 8 fasteners per 100 pounds and be NHRA accepted. ... Helmet Shroud: Bolt heads must be 1/2-inch hex-style head; no clearance slots ...

All day I couldnt understand the "per 100 pound" part. Well when I did a google search I did. Here is the full quote "Ballast: Must be secured with minimum of two 1/2-inch or four 3/8-inch Grade 8 fasteners per 100 pounds and be NHRA accepted"
I never did track down the part about the four link. Did you pull that outta your ass ? Why could I track down everthing else you quoted but that ? And Ballast fastening ? How the **** does ballast fastening relate to T bucket suspension ? It doesnt. In your haste to prove me wrong, your didnt read this stuff. And I also dont suppose you noticed the 1/2" bolt part ? "two 1/2-inch or four 3/8-inch Grade 8 fasteners" notice no mention of a 1/2" grade ? I suppose you also dont remember where I posted earlier about going up a bolt size before going up in grade ? No I am sure you didnt read that long technical post.

You too can build a slingshot that works as good as this one. Our car ran 9.992 with a basically stock small block 302 Ford with injection. Some where around 285 HP !! puts you in the 9s. A mild small block chevy or windsor would put you in the mid to low 9s at 150 mph. We are in the process of building our new engine to run 7.50s.

Old Style Straight Axle Front End

No A-Arms here. we only build nostalgia looking rails. We use SPE Anglia Style spindles with 3 arm steering. 5/8" radius rods and steering linkage come pre-tapped with chrome moly rod ends and grade 8 hardware. Nothing else to buy...we make it easy for you to build.

Certified Cage with Nostalgia Look

We build all our frame kits with single spine cage to give it a nostalgia look. Cage is up to date with 1" helmet bars and 1 1/2" main tubes. Our upper rail is upswept to keep the cage short looking, much like a Gilmore car. We have had guys in our car that were 6 ft 5 inch tall and up to 300 lbs.

Did you look at it ? That is flimsy, and makes my point exactly about lightweight race car stuff not being for the street. All 3/8" fasteners, 5/8" tubing for the drag link and radius bars ? Yeah thats a good example of how to build your street car. Build your car just like that... PLEASE. And come back and tell us how it is working several years down the road.

Building Hot Rod Rear Suspension - Street Rodder Magazine
http://www.streetrodderweb.com / tech / 0902sr_building_hot_rod_ / index.html - 93k - similar pagesWhen designing or choosing suspension concepts to use in your hot rod, ... slug and drilled it for a 5/8-inch Grade 8 bolt to be welded into place from the inside. .... After de-burring the front of the shortened (14 inches) radius rod, ...

They even use them in street projects also....hum....

This one is good. At least a street car, wth the bolts on single shear. Maybe I have been harsh on saying you dont understand... But wait... a grade 8 bolt welded in ? Thats what you choose to prove me wrong ? I am with bob on this. As is most of the interenet... A welded gr 8, loaded in single shear ? Kinda scary. But since you know nothing about this, how would you know ? You should have passed this one by. This is a very poor choice to try and make a point. But is kinda how you have went about all this.

You seem to like to name drop.... That first chassis company you mentioned, DR1 Chassis, all google turned up was a data recorder ? Or a prototype corvette. Not sure how any of that applies ? More **** you didnt read up on ? ( oh I see another thread where you typed the name wrong. A name dropper that cant get it right... Nice. That other name, JD1 also didnt come up in a google search. ). The second name you mentioned, mark williams chassis, I found on google. A quick 10 minute search around their site turned up nothing saying grade 8. I did notice a pic on their site showing the modular rear end housings with 12 pt fasteners. And I would be willing to bet they are aircraft grade fasteners. But also not loaded in single shear. They were in tension. So sadly, nothing there to prove me wrong. You mentioned chassis engineering. I didnt see any T bucket suspension on there. I also didnt see anything in the suspension item descriptions saying grade 8. (but the motor plate mount description did). Nor did I see one thing that was single shear. Oh thats right... You dont understand what it is I have been saying this whole time. And have completely missed the point that we are on a T bucket site... Dealing with Street driven cars. You have based your whole arguement on nothing applying to a street car. And nothing that really has any relevent value. A few wrong quotes, and poor examples. In all of this, You have actually proved something I posted in another thread...

There is a lot of good advice on the internet. There is also a lot of bad advice. The problem is separating the two. The worst advice, can sometimes make the most sense to someone who doesnt have any knowledge on a subject. Do your own home work, spend a little time on google doing searches, and apply some intelligent thought to all you read.

I never figured I would be arguing against some made up, false quotes, intended to mislead. But I guess we all just learned a lot about you.

You can build your car however you want. But dont do this bull**** trying to mislead people.
For any of you that actually care to learn a little bit... Http://www.enginebui...ener_facts.aspx

I am done here too. Once it gets to where someone feels the need to post misleading quotes to win an argument, its worthless to even try.

Pass that popcorn here too. I already have a dr.pepper...

Ok, My last post on this...
My link

I didn't think this forum allowed the posting of the F-bomb, if that's the case I'll have to rethink my contributing to the running of it.

LKE, I have no argument with the technical aspect of what you posted but I think you could have made your point without resorting to the use of profanity and name calling. This was a good thread until you resorted to gutter talk to make your point.

First, I want to extend my sincere apologies to the members and guests of this forum, who were subjected to LKE's poor choice of language. I have edited his post to remove his ill-considered words. I have an inbox full of outraged messages, all of which I have read. Please do not feel I am ignoring you by not replying to your messages one-by-one. Thank you for taking the time to flag me up on the problem, as this shows you are all making the effort to be good stewards of what is actually your forum. I have heard you and have taken action, based on your valid complaints.

Second, I want to make it clear this type of language is not and will not be tolerated on this site. As I explained to LKE, I am sure we have all been exposed to this type of locker-room talk. I am also sure most of us have used that same locker-room talk at some point in our lives. However this is a public forum, open to individuals of both genders and all ages. This is not a locker-room.

Last, LKE has received two warnings for his poor choice of language, as well as his verbal abuse of Screaming Metal. His posting privileges have been altered for a while, until forum staff members can be comfortable that he will not subject the rest of us to future outbursts of this manner.

I know several of you have been offended by LKE's post. I ask that we all make the decision to adopt the higher ground in this instance and move forward in a dignified manner.

Thank you for hearing me out.

One last update - I've learned the rules concerning the use of using foul language and being disrespectful to other members were not the only rules LKE had either failed to read or failed to comprehend. He also missed the rule about arguing with forum staff.

Rest assured he will not be breaking any other rules at any future point.

Let me apologize to everyone here at the forums and to all the people that visited during all this misunderstanding.

To LKE, I extremely sorry and I do apologize for pissing you off and/ or making you mad.

I did a globle search and those were what popped up and I posted them.

Agian...I apologize for offending anyone and I think very highly of LKE.
I KNOW that some pro's use grade 8's....I do.I was trying to relay the info that you can use them in certain instances and for speciaal applications.

I have a engineering degree, have been designing and custom building blower systems, engines and speciality intakes for the racing industry. I don't consider myself stupid, alot of folks think of me as a idiot savante. I have a nack for things mechanical....and I sincerely hope that you fine people will overlook and forgive....this unfortunate incident.

I, ME, shouldn't have posted the mess, I didn't have a bone to pick with the person in particular, but I wanted to put out the info that you need strong fasteners in your frontend, because I didn't want to see any of our members sliding down the asphalt @ 70mph cause they put in grade 5's on their shackles....

These little cars would probably be OK with them....but theres always a chance of something mechanical malfunctioning.

I want to wish EVERYONE, a Vwery, Merry Christmas and a even Wonderful New Year....

I'm gonna be out of pocket the next 5 or 6 weeks, I've gotta deliver 2 FunnyCar motors and set them up during this time.....see ya'll soon.....

Agian....my apologies, and I did not mean to offend anyone....If I did, I hope that you'll forgive me....

Screaming Metal

Another thing to remember about all Stainless bolts, they are tough, BUT! not as strong as steel, and they are not friendly to/with Alum, not a good mix... Anything over a grade 5 fastener is just a waste of money in my opinion, and that has over 40 years of use behind my thoughts on this matter, so spend what makes you happy, but I again would much rather have something that bends rather than breaks, just like I NEVER make axles using Chrome molly tubing, because it age hardens much faster in the condition normal state that it comes in... How many people do you know that weld on only chrome molly brackets, using Chrome molly rod and in the end send it out in a jig to have heat treated into real 4130 Chrome Molly specs??? As bought Chrome Molly is in a normal state of heat treat, (so it can be bend and welded) and only 10% stronger than mild steel, but age hardens 75% quicker, or right around there... Chrome Molly is another place where most people do not understand what it really is, besides 6 to 8 times more money for no good gain... Pretty much like using grade 8 or 9 bolts, all good Allen bolts are grade 9...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back