Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

spread of rear spring

AYT BUCKET

im rebuilding an old bucket on a. A model chassis. what i need to know is . my rear spring is 40 1/4 inches. im using 1 1/2 inch shackles which is a total of 43 1/4 inches . what distance apart should i weld the new shackle mounts . i was thinking 46 1/4 . 1 1/2 extra each side 3 inches in total . is this enough spread , hope this makes sense .

I set the axle brackets at 46 1/2'' on center for an 'A' spring.

Ron

....and on the same note, there must be some easy methods out there of spreading the spring without the risk of being killed. ???

Install the spring main leaf first. I use a piece of all-thread about 12'' long thru the center bolt hole. Stack the remaining leaves and tighten the rod pulling the spring together. Now clamp the stack and repace the all-thread with your center bolt. For dis-assembly, reverse this process. Use extreme causion when taking a spring apart!!! They have a tendency to fly around the shop with out caring what they take out.

Ron

Thanks for the replies guys. so my 46 1/4 is in the ball park . ive stripped the spring for a sand up & clean and paint and will fit the main then the rest . thanks again Kym

AYT, what type of rear end mounting brackets are you using for the A-spring?
actually ive been in the shed today making cardboard templates .my rear end setup is a bit different as the spring is mounted in front of the rearend (9 inch) and im using original A model radius rods . it's easy to make mounts but with this setup it's a bit harder to make a mount that's pleasing to the eye.ill post pics when ive decided on the look. if anyone has the same setup if ya can post pics ??. preferably the mount will be a shackle mount and radius rod mount in one . the other option is separate
mounts for each.

If your using a 9'' rearend, I'm assuming your have at least 200 horsepower from your engine. If this is the case, you might want to re-think using the Model 'A' bones. They worked well on the Model 'A' because of the torque tube around the driveshaft with a 40 horsepower 4 cyl. Without the tube they are a bit weak. They are also very prone to rusting thru from the inside. The later bones"35 to '48 are much stronger. Mounting off the front of the axel with the Ford bones can be a problem depending on how wide the housing is. If you don't have enough room past the spring mounts, you could use a hairpin and run the spring thru them. I would like to see a pic of your set-up. Hope this helps.

Ron

If your using a 9'' rearend, I'm assuming your have at least 200 horsepower from your engine. If this is the case, you might want to re-think using the Model 'A' bones. They worked well on the Model 'A' because of the torque tube around the driveshaft with a 40 horsepower 4 cyl. Without the tube they are a bit weak. They are also very prone to rusting thru from the inside. The later bones"35 to '48 are much stronger. Mounting off the front of the axel with the Ford bones can be a problem depending on how wide the housing is. If you don't have enough room past the spring mounts, you could use a hairpin and run the spring thru them. I would like to see a pic of your set-up. Hope this helps.

Ron

Mate i know where ya coming from.if i was building a new bucket it would'nt be this way. BUT. im more restoring an old school bucket. it's a 292 y block 3 speed customline the 9 inch (early 60's galaxy) is what it was running. she'll be a cruiser. im more worried about twist'n the chassis again . it had a 30mm twist which was just the begining.ive been look'n for latter bones but hard to come by here in OZ. yes all information helps . all stored up top for latter reference .

Hummmmm ...y-block/ 3 speed sounds cool. Same set-up as my '27. I'm using a '42 Ford pickup rearend. Is your frame boxed? Would still like to see pics ...

Ron

100_0090-1.jpg

04012009226.jpg

y.jpg

:fidget:

As ya can see in the pic right rail down . so pumped it up and removed 40mm x member and added a new 100x50 x member

100_0231.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Where did you ever find those valve covers ... awesome!!!!!!!

Ron

the pics are as she was purchased from Victoria . we have different requirements for road rego in SA . i when bought it i intended to up grade for rego and a colour change and get rid of the billet wheels . but I'll be happy to get her on the road as she is and change the look latter .

the pics are as she was purchased from Victoria . we have different requirements for road rego in SA . i when bought it i intended to up grade for rego and a colour change and get rid of the billet wheels . but I'll be happy to get her on the road as she is and change the look latter .

Pardon my ignorance, but where in the world is OZ, SA and Victoria. Would be nice if posters included their location in their profiles.

Pardon my ignorance, but where in the world is OZ, SA and Victoria. Would be nice if posters included their location in their profiles.

That's a couple thousand miles south east of BFE isn't it?

hiding.gif

Russ

I COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDER . WHERE WOMEN GLOW AND MEN THUNDER . Take it easy mate i thought i was clever post'n pics. i think if ya click on my user name AYT BUCKET my profile comes up . Adelaide South Australia

I COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDER . WHERE WOMEN GLOW AND MEN THUNDER . Take it easy mate i thought i was clever post'n pics. i think if ya click on my user name AYT BUCKET my profile comes up . Adelaide South Australia

Thanks mate. I can relate now. BTW, that's one great looking bucket you latched on to.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back