Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tfeverfred's project

Thanks, Bruce. Guys, I have a question. I'm using a mechanical oil pressure gauge and I just test fit the connections to see how everything fits. What keeps the hose from coming out of the fittings!?:confused: When I connect them, the hose just slides out. This is why I hate mechanical oil pressure gauges! Am I missing a step? I rechecked the instructions and I have it hooked up right, but if this was on my engine, the line would come lose and oil would be everywhere! What keeps the line in the fittings?

This is a nice gauge and I'd hate to ditch it just because I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help.

tfeverfred said:
...What keeps the hose from coming out of the fittings!?:confused: When I connect them, the hose just slides out...

I'm betting you're missing the compression ring that goes on the tube and behind the compression nut...

shutoff.gif

This illustration is obviously for plumbing, but the concept is the same... Just substitute your gauge for shutoff valve! :D

LumenAl said:
I'm betting you're missing the compression ring that goes on the tube and behind the compression nut...

shutoff.gif

This illustration is obviously for plumbing, but the concept is the same... Just substitute your gauge for shutoff valve! :D
Well, it's got a ferrule piece that should act as the compression ring, This is a new connection kit and all the pieces are accounted for.

Can I put JB Weld or epoxy on the outside of the fittings where the tube goes in?:confused: I'm stumped. Now, I'm only hand tightening it. Will it seat when I put a wrench to it?

tfeverfred said:
...Now, I'm only hand tightening it. Will it seat when I put a wrench to it...

The compression ring (Ferrule in this case) must seat in the gauge and compress around the tube. Typically, you hand tighten then 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn with a wrench... do not over tighten! Test at 1/4 turn and see if it grabs... then check for leaks... if needed you can tighten up to 1/4 turn more.

This my guess, but I have worked with compression fittings alot, 25 years in the High pressure natl' gas plants. If you have the ferrel on in the right direction it should snug up when tight. Most fittings the ferrel taper end goes towards the fitting you are connecting to. IMHO.

LumenAl said:
The compression ring (Ferrule in this case) must seat in the gauge and compress around the tube. Typically, you hand tighten then 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn with a wrench... do not over tighten! Test at 1/4 turn and see if it grabs... then check for leaks... if needed you can tighten up to 1/4 turn more.

Thanks, LumenAl. I'll let ya'll know how it works out tomorrow. I'll also have the fire extinguisher at the ready!:D

The Devil was trying to get even :evil: and have T bucket for lunch :D
glad nothing serious happened

RocknT said:
The Devil was trying to get even :evil: and have T bucket for lunch :D
glad nothing serious happened

Yea, he was!:lol: Rockn, you should have seen me move!:lol: I was kinda tired, but that smoke sure as heck woke me up!

VegasBruce said:
Glad all is well, note to self add fire extingusher.

ABSOLUTLY! Every home, garage, and shop at a minimum should have an extinguisher! I suggest you have one in the car as well! Now everyone go make sure you have them and are fully charged or I'll send Fred over and... :D

:razz:

You can be assured I won't forget to have it out next time. Lesson learned BIG time!!:D Smokin's for brisket, not T Buckets.

Nurse! Give me the vitals! STAT!

Installed my gauges. They are the set of SunPro's that RPM shot to me and they really fit the bill. It's good to see that eveything is at it should as far as the engine vitals go. It's a nice simple install, with room for the speedo. I measured twice and I took my time with the hole saw.

gauges001.jpg
`

These are mechanical gauges and while I was going to use electric, I have always liked mechanical. Well, except for that one time back when I was younger and didn't have the oil gauge hooked up tight. Got about a quart of oil inside a '66 Mustang I used to have.:eek:

In order to run the tube for the oil and the line for the temp, I had to cut a hole in the firewall. I don't know why, but something always makes me leary of cutting into her body. I placed a small length of vac tubing on each line, to keep the nylon oil line from possibly getting cut be rubbing against a sharp edge. No need to relive my crazy, experimental youth!:lol: I was going to put vac line on the entire temp gauge line, but I kinda like the look of the line showing. I'm weird that way. I think it's cool to have that sorta "rough" look to mechanical stuff. As you can see from the temp gauge, I took her for a "test run" just before these pics.

gauges002.jpg

Thanks again, RPM, for the gauges!

You are quite welcome. Humid-T gave them to me and it was going to be awhile before I needed them. You had a need more than me so enjoy.:lol:

You are about ready for tags? Did you get a windsheild yet?

RPM said:
You are quite welcome. Humid-T gave them to me and it was going to be awhile before I needed them. You had a need more than me so enjoy.:)

You are about ready for tags? Did you get a windsheild yet?

I've got a few things to add before my inspection and tags, but they will be in next week! :lol: I get my windshield Friday afternoon.

What may hender my planned legal done date, is the insurance. It will depend on how quick they are to send me my papers. Once I get that, I get inspected, then a friend of a friend shoots my paper work through the DMV. So, no worries. At this stage, the light at the end of the tunnel is a super nova and I've got my shades on, baby!:lol:

My brother came by during work this afternoon. He's home on leave from the Navy before going on a WestPac. It reminded me of the scene in the movie "Hollywood Knights" when they pull the cover off the custom for the guy going to Nam. I asked my brother to do it and he was all dainty, so I walked over and slid it off. He hadn't seen her since last year when she was a rolling chassis. The look in his eyes was priceless. He just stared at it and finally did a walk around. Then he just started smiling and asked for a ride. Guys, it was priceless. I kinda got watery eyes from the wind in my face.;)

He still says he can't believe I really built it. Sometimes, I don't either. We sat down and talked about stuff from when we were kids and used to read all the magazines and dream about hot rods. All the while, Miss Behavin' was purring like a kitten. Coolest moment was when he shook my hand and said I did good. Then the wind got in my eyes again. Damn, it was windy today.

He's here for 2 more weeks, so I have a day planned for us to take pics and a video. That is going to be something to remember.

Now that is really cool Fred !!
and the gages look good to by the way ,

wind kinda got in my eyes while I was reading this :cool:

Vance

There is nothing like building something from scratch, gettin' in ,cranking it up, put it in gear and it tries to move. My experience was 36 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday...or was it the day before?

Ya gotta watch that wind Fred. Tell you brother thanks for me and give him a handshake. :lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back