Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tfeverfred's project

Re: Gauges

Youngster said:
Fred...I think it's safe to say that you're incurable. That's OK my friend, we all are here, you just have to go to the back of the line.

Ron

Thanks, man. I was just ranting and writing yesturday. I guess I was just venting about not having anything to work on. I'm back to normal, now!:welcome: Check out my post on the "half bucket" thread. I have some ideas for you to play with as far as my speedster goes.

Fred, Take it from a LONG time buckethead... if you can build another project without selling the one you have for the funds DO SO!!! My first bucket has been gone for over 30 years and I have missed it for 25 of those years. I think I sold it for $4500 back then and thought I made money!

Glasses!

Well, the frames anyway. Windshield frame came and the first thing I wanted to check was fit between the body and the post. I have a CCR body and went with their post. The fit is dead on. I mean, it's so close that I MIGHT be able to slide a couple pieces of paper inbetween.

windshield002.jpg

windshield001.jpg

I had bought some bondo anticipating using it and will be happy to return it now. As we speak, I'm putting the frame together and will check the entire assembly for fitment, before final assembly. I am going to glass in a piece of wood, a thin metal plate and lock washers on the inside of the body to relieve stress.

More pics in a minute or two.

Glasses

Here are pics of the windshield mocked up. Looks like I made a good choice(after all the crap I put you guys through) in going with the straight up posts. She's got a nice stance to her and it's good to see what her final look will be.

windshield001-1.jpg

windshield002-1.jpg

Glasses

I marked the spots on the body where the bolts for the posts will run through. Then I removed the posts to drill my holes. While drilling I discovered that CCR has made the glass in this section a little over 1/2" thick!:eek: I measured it with a caliper. I had cut two pieces of 1/8" metal stock to use inside the body, but had to just stay with the washers that CCR provided. The kit also uses stainless steel button head bolts and nylocs. So, I buttoned everything up and here are better pics outside in the Texas heat.

windshield004.jpg

windshield003-1.jpg

The kit from CCR also came with rubber material that holds the glass in the frame and a hollow, foam rubber strip that runs under the windshield frame, where it sits on the cowl, to take care of the gap that buckets seem to have here. However, the gap was only about a 1/8". I didn't really need to use it, but it will cover up that area of the body that had slightly scratched through the gelcoat. I won't be able to get the glass until next week because I have used my budget for the month, but that's okay. At that time, my gauges will be in and I'll have ordered my emergency brake handle and picked up a set of seat belts. Thanks to RPM the money that would have gone for gauges will be used to get insurance. Then, she goes to get inspected and soon after, titled and tagged!:)

Looks good Fred! I have the same windshield posts for my CCR body (straight) and the 11" windshield. Looks like you got the taller one. Been considering the lay back posts, but that is still in the future. Anyway, good job (yet again).

Looking good fred,,

Fred... I like the look of the straight up windsheild. It gives your car that classis T look.

Ron

Glasses... okay... windshield Part1: Frame & posts

Thanks guys. Actually, in my opinion, either the straight or the slanted back would have looked good. The deciding factor was how I get in and out of my car and my size 12 feet. I noticed that when I put my leg in, my foot would be awful close to to where the mirror would be, if the windshield was slanted. I also made a mockup of the windshield and placed it in both positions on the body. The straight up post gives the ILLUSION of more room. In fact, I think someone here mentioned that. Also, being straight up, I gain about an 1 1/2" in height over the slanted back.

Now, the slanted back had a lot going for it. One being the look. It looks and is, more aerodynamic. It gives the illusion of speed or motion. I don't think I'll ever be going fast enough that I'll wish I had a more wind cheating windshield, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the wind will have an easier path over the car with the slanted one. My other concern about the straight one was the force of the wind bowing the glass of the straight frame and causing the glass to pop out. :eek:I'll make extra sure that the glass fit is good and tight.

As far as wind in my face, that was a minor concern and it wouldn't have mattered. Regardless of which one I chose, I'm 6'3" and from my nose up will be exposed. But I think that a great majority of the wind will flow over my head. Besides, I needed a reason to get some cool perscription eyeglasses!:)

tpic2.gif

Won't be long now, fellas!

Re: Glasses... okay... windshield Part1: Frame & posts

tfeverfred said:
As far as wind in my face, that was a minor concern and it wouldn't have mattered.

I don't know about that. I rode in a T with the TP laid back windshield and have to say the volume of wind over the top was amazing. The sloped WS funneled a LOT more air over the top. Let's just say breathing was easy because of the "Ram Air" effect up my nose!:)

Mike

Look out behind ya!

I mounted the mirrors that LumenAl gave me to get an idea how they would look. They look alright, but I think they may be just a tad away from the overall image I have going on. I may go with something simpler and save these for the Speedster. I know for sure they'll go with that scheme.

OPINIONS PLEASE and no comments about the junk in the background.:eek:

mirrors001.jpg

mirrors002.jpg

Re: Look out behind ya!

OPINIONS PLEASE and no comments about the junk in the background.
Why fred it makes your T look like a Diamond in the ruff !:)
I can understand about why you want to use them but they look outa place to me or maybe it is because I am used to seeing it with out the windshield frame ,Could you mount them lower and still use them ?:think:

Sorry Fred, I think those might be better on the Speedster.

I dunno Fred, it may just pop when you get the body painted! Maybe a little bit lower too?!?!?!?

Yogi said:
I dunno Fred, it may just pop when you get the body painted! Maybe a little bit lower too?!?!?!?

I agree, don't count them out just yet.

Vance

Coupefreak said:
I agree, don't count them out just yet.

Vance

Thanks, guy. I'll try them a little lower. Maybe just above the post.

Otherwise, they'll be the first pieces for my Speedster! Which really isn't a bad thing. A little ahead of schedule, but still a good thing!:D Looks like a no lose situation to me. I'm at work, so it will be a while for more pics. Again, your opinions matter to me, so please keep 'em coming.

On another note. My brother is coming in town today for 2 weeks leave before going on a WestPac. He's in the Navy. He hasn't seen my bucket since it was a rolling chassis. He's the one who kinda got me to get off my butt and try building a T and he may just drop the funds for the glass. He's like that.:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back