Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tfeverfred's project

VegasBruce said:
Ya gotta watch that wind Fred. Tell you brother thanks for me and give him a handshake. :lol:
Will do! I'm getting my windshield Friday evening and will get him to take another spin with me this weekend, so I can video it! I don't think I'll have to ask twice!:lol:

butch27 said:
Tell your Brother "Thanks" from all of us.

+1 here Fred. We cannot do enough to thank the ones who are defending our country. It is their service and sacrafice that allows us the freedom to do what we enjoy. Man, I think the wind is getting in my eyes now too. Please thank him for all of us.

Wonder years

Found this pic in a post on the HAMB. Makes me glad I decided to use the brass mirrors for a little "accent piece", as LumenAl called them. Hey! Check out those valve covers! LumenAl, thanks again, bro!

early_t.jpg

But what really caught my eye was the sweet simplicity T Buckets seemed to have back then. I'd also like to find out what axle setup that is in front. Anyone have an idea? This photo is circa 1963 or so.

Wonder years

Here's another one. The cowl steering is cool, I'd run it lower with different headers.

early_t2.jpg

Re: Wonder years

Cool fred !
But the babe in the hat makes me go UUUGGGHHH !!!!! You can definitely tell she aint from Texas ,brother fred.,you can tell it is just an ornament ....LMAO,,
uumm yeah I grew up on the farm ,,,lol

tfeverfred said:
Found this pic in a post on the HAMB. Makes me glad I decided to use the brass mirrors for a little "accent piece", as LumenAl called them. Hey! Check out those valve covers! LumenAl, thanks again, bro!

early_t.jpg

But what really caught my eye was the sweet simplicity T Buckets seemed to have back then. I'd also like to find out what axle setup that is in front. Anyone have an idea? This photo is circa 1963 or so.

I'd guess the setup is 4 link... but after looking carefully, I can see it's not... axle? Don't know... might just be tube steel bent to a grin vs. more common drop... I like it!

I'll send covers when I get back in town Friday... sorry didn't get them out earlier!

Fred...Both of those cars are using a '37 Ford, V8 60 front axle. It was a real popular setup for show cars of that era. To use one, you cut off the wishbone tubes leaving the clevis with the spring perch. then you turn it around backwards so the spring is behind the axle. Next a plate is welded to the axle and 4 tie rods were added to make up a 4-bar. This was the axle that inspired Bell Auto to build the famous tubular dropped axle back in the '50's. Later, in the '70's, a guy named Jim Ewing reinvented this axle with a deeper drop and called it the now famous "Super Bell".

That's it for todays history lesson. Study hard. There'll be a test on Monday.

Ron

If you look at the thread on the 23 tbucket 40"bed, the Big T was the same front end on it. The T in the flick "The Lively Set" also uses it.

Ron

Youngster said:
Fred...Both of those cars are using a '37 Ford, V8 60 front axle. It was a real popular setup for show cars of that era. To use one, you cut off the wishbone tubes leaving the clevis with the spring perch. then you turn it around backwards so the spring is behind the axle. Next a plate is welded to the axle and 4 tie rods were added to make up a 4-bar. This was the axle that inspired Bell Auto to build the famous tubular dropped axle back in the '50's. Later, in the '70's, a guy named Jim Ewing reinvented this axle with a deeper drop and called it the now famous "Super Bell".

That's it for todays history lesson. Study hard. There'll be a test on Monday.

Ron

See! I thought it looked like a 4 link setup but when I looked at where it mounted them to the frame, it looked like they came together like a radius rod, but I can also see that it could also be two separate mounting points for a 4 link setup... I'm sure glad you're here to fix all my screw ups!

As for my guess that the tube axle was made to look like a grim (Which I maintain is doable)... clearly I was way off on that one... back to the corner for me...

You can come out of the corner now Al. It's recess time. lol

Ron

"I can see clearly now....."

So, got my glass installed. Found a place to cut and put it in the frame for $75. More than I expected, but quality work.

windshield003-2.jpg

windshield002-2.jpg

So, for all intents and purposes, this is her final look..... for the moment. As has been said, "They're never done." I still need little odds and ends like seat belts, a speedo and the parking brake handle, but they will come next week. So, there she is. Miss Behavin'.

Oh here's the "artsy" shot.

windshield006.jpg

Re: "I can see clearly now....."

Nice Fred, congrats on your build.

Fred what front brake are you using? I have Air Hearts That I am not sure if I want to use them they seem a little old.

Geo27T said:
Fred what front brake are you using? I have Air Hearts That I am not sure if I want to use them they seem a little old.

I'm running Wilwoods. The AirHearts are good. Total sells the parts to rebuild them. In fact, when I got my wire wheels, they came with airHearts, but I didn't have the confidence to rebuild them.:eek: One thing I noticed was that the AirHeart discs are thicker than the Wilwoods.

Looking back, I could have saved a lot of bucks by rebuilding the AirHearts. The Wilwood setup was $650. I could have redone the Airhearts for less than half that. Some lessons come hard.

tfeverfred said:
... Looking back, I could have saved a lot of bucks by rebuilding the AirHearts. The Wilwood setup was $650. I could have redone the Airhearts for less than half that. Some lessons come hard.

Now hold on there Fred... Having good reliable brakes is worth every penny... I think you made the right call.

LumenAl said:
Now hold on there Fred... Having good reliable brakes is worth every penny... I think you made the right call.

Oh, without a doubt. What I meant was, by not even trying, I just bought the Wilwoods. At the time, I really didn't have a source of info or just didn't seek the help that could have made it possible for me to rebuild the AirHearts. I should have gotten more info, instead of just going straight to a catalog.

Knowing that I have a resource like this site and a couple others, I'll save quite a bit when I start my Speedster project.

Congratulations, Fred!:lol:

She looks good. Looks like you're about ready for a long cruise. Bet it feels good to have accomplished so much.

Mike

tfeverfred said:
... Knowing that I have a resource like this site and a couple others, I'll save quite a bit when I start my Speedster project.

I'm so intregged by the thought of building a speedster... have to finish working on my buddies 37 Chevy truck and another guys 53 Chevy truck first... But I've saved to my hard drive all the posts and pics that have been put up! :lol:

Al, after seeing how awesome your bucket came out, I can't wait to see whay you can do with a speedster. I'll be here if you need someone to bounce ideas off of.

Now, where's Mike?

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back