Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The IGOR

10.jpg

set up a bit more ...still has the old shocks and brakes i have the new ones but for mock up i left em out and still need to bolt up the custom tie bar

13.jpg

and now the body from hell....

this had a firm 2inch glass and foam added to the original body by the last owner......its a bit of a mess.....and note the holes in the front where the frame for the glass was going to be.....also the trans hump was made up of one sheet of fiberglass so when you stepped on it it would just cave in .so i began to undo what had been done.........that when i found other issues

14.jpg

Cracks and more cracks!!!!!! when i cut out the 2 inch foam and glass from inside i found all of this .....the crack in the back is from where they had cut it all the way out then decided they needed it back in so they stopped cutting....also trars on both lower sides wer hid with cheap bondo...those cracks are both about 8 inch in length..........also if you notice that this is the old frame ...on the bottom right hand side the small tab that is bent at an odd angle ......thats what the rear radius rods wer attached to!!! and its bent like that because i grazed it with a hammer! lucky i have a new frame

15.jpg

Here is more issues i found covered with bondo. ...also another note when i got this car it was a solid body......when i DEglassed it all the sudden there was a door! lol

17.jpg

this is more of a recent pic...lots of glass work and sculpting to fix the holes and tears that wer done to this body. but its looking tons better.

At this stage i have lots done. The new frame has the rear and the front end mounted up and ready to go . i need to pull out the engine and trans to swap onto the new frame. and the body is still up in the air. I wanted to do a C Cab body then thought i would stick to the bucket and now i am not sure if i should keep the turtledeck or do a custom design for the rear. also i have a new radiator the polished aluminium one. cause the brass one has huge chunks taken out of it. and it would of cost big money to have it re cored. so i have a shelf full of shiny new parts and about 99% of a new rolling frame. now what color to paint it lol :)

Any suggestions on things they see that could be done better or what kind of color scheme would look good that is not a everyday kind of style ? i am open to suggestions :) hope you enjoy the pix and i will get more together soon ALOHA!

There is an old saying, " you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", but you seem to be proving that wrong, albeit with a LOT of hard work. My hat is off to you! As for what color, I believe that should be a personal matter. You should paint it whatever color turns you on. Where I come from, if you intend on selling when finished, it is hard to beat "resale red".

Jim

You've done VERY well!! I have no doubt this is going to be an awesome build.

This is my own opinion but on the Jag set up, the crossmember for the front cross bar, are you going to make that adjustable? If so maybe look at using a uratane bushed end there. On the trailing arms, I like to mount the front the same distance apart as the trunion mounts for the struts for the hub carriers. This allows the axels, struts and trailing arms to act as sort of an A frame with little or no binding.

With the body repairs you've done I would recoment a stout wood frame for the body. If Don's rods is reading this I hope he will direct you to the pic's of when he wooded his body. You couldn't go wrong by following his lead.

Keep at it and please keep posting.

Ron

Just one small question. How much did you pay for the t bucket? If the price was right, you got a lot of parts for your money even if you need to dump some of them, you got the bones for a good beginning and an even better ending!!! It seems you are on the right track. Good luck

Great work and a great save on the body.

so i will get more in depth on questions after i am done with work but for now some quick QnA.
I have taken in account the room for feet lol i have a size 12 1/2 shoe and i mocked it up with the pedals and i still have some good clearance. however for foots sake i might go back to the drawing board.

also price wise......when i saw the bucket i was looking more at the parts rather than the car...i saw the jag and the engine trans worked well has bran new tires and came with new vega box and new brake master set up and lots more stuff. not to mention cars like this out here are far and few between ....that being said i payed 5000$ for the lot .

also time wise i only work on it sunday and monday every other week if i can and i have had the car for about 7 months now.

thank you all for the great comments ill keep the pix coming :)

Keeper that is the jag cover from speedway. i got it unpolished to save a bit of money then shined it up myself then painted inside the fins to match the diff color .

Youngster. i have looked at the wood and foam reinforcements from his thread over and over lol . i bought the green flower foam the dry stuff... so that once i get the frame complete i can start wooding the body and floor so that i can make it exact .

i am also thinking about creating a bomber style bench seat counter sunk into the floor ,so that i keep the seat hight low yet still have some padding for those long rides lol.

since the body is going to be channelled 3 inch to sit flush with the bottom of the frame i think i can get away with sinking the seat area flush with the bottom of the frame as well. so 3 inch seat drop . and since the car sits low you wont be able to see the drop unless you get under the car. of course this all depends on how high the drive line sits. if thats the case i can do bomber bucket seats instead of the bench.

Here is how I sorted out my seating position. I used 3 inches of foam on the base of the seat with some 1 inch foam cut out as bolsters, though some people like a flat seat.

This will help if you have the steering wheel installed as it will allow you to get a feel for your driving position.

Install the floor.
Cut out a plywood seat base and place foam on top.
grab some 2x4 and cut them so you can use them as shims.
start playing with seat heights and rake.
Once you get it to where you think it will be comfortable, take a TV out and put it in front of your bucket as you sit in your seat. I watched a football game to see if it would actually be comfortable for a long haul.

Tweak as needed then build your seat. There are a couple tech articles here on how it has been done, EX Junk used aluminum to build his, I used plywood and webbing. I built mine so I sit IN the car not on it.

Thanks for the tip on the cover, I will have to look at the speedway site.

sounds like a good plan ! ill give it a try......all except the tv part lol i dont own one :)
and if you get the cover from speedway ...get the polished one it will save you alot of time .if you get it unpolished it comes to you as a cast part that is super ruff . its worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks lol.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back