Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turn signal problem

Chief-T

Turn signals. Front are normal bulbs; rear are LED. Flasher is electronic for LEDs. Lights will come on but will not blink. Changed to manual flasher; still won't blink. Temporarily added extra normal bulbs to rear and all blinked. Changed back to electronic flasher; no blink. Tried a different elec flasher; no blink. I know why they work with with the manual flasher and extra bulbs but not why the electronic flashers don't work. Anyone have a solution????

Flashers are a current sensitive device. The mechanical bulb style flasher only works when there is sufficient current to heat the flasher element. LED's in the circuit do not draw much current, hence, flasher doesn't work. That's how we used to tell when we had a burned out bulb. The electronic LED flasher is probably being overloaded with bulbs in the circuit. I don't know if they make one that works with a combination of LED's and bulbs. You might have to have two flashers; one for the front and one for the rear. I haven't done any research on this so it's just my educated guess. An electronic flasher designed for bulbs might work with the LED/bulb combo.

I did find this at Summit Racing for $40. Painless Wiring 80230 - Painless Performance No-Load LED Turn Signal Flashers.

I have LED's in front and regular bulbs in the rear and am using a flasher that I got from Speedway, part number 910-64047 for $9.99. It works great.

Jim

I have LED's in front and regular bulbs in the rear and am using a flasher that I got from Speedway, part number 910-64047 for $9.99. It works great.

Jim

The two electronic flashers suggested by Mr Bill and EX JUNK are the two I have tried. They won't even work in the emergency flasher circuit which flashes all 4 lights . I'm sure the problem is a lack of resistance.I could use ballast resistors but they heat up and I thought the electronic flashers had the resistors built in them. Perplexing. But as with all T-bucket problems, a solution will be found.

I'm wondering if you connected the flasher ground wire to a suitable grounding point. Looks like the electronic flashers need a ground connection.

I'm wondering if you connected the flasher ground wire to a suitable grounding point. Looks like the electronic flashers need a ground connection.

One of the flashers has a ground wire which was connected. The other one doesn't. BTW the min load on on the grounded one is 1 amp. The min load on the one without a ground is .02 amp.

One of the flashers has a ground wire which was connected. The other one doesn't. BTW the min load on on the grounded one is 1 amp. The min load on the one without a ground is .02 amp.
[/quote
We stock and sell a "Dummy Load for LEDS" made by Watsons Streetworks. They simply install in line to your lights like a mini ballast resistor. Only $9.00 for the pair. Have personally used them in many builds and they work, everytime.
Part # L52DL2 Wintec Fabrication 203/294-1339
-Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back