Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welding Skill

Studebucket

I have not welded in years, perhaps a decade or more and when I did it was hit or miss quality. I used an old Lincoln arc welder. Is there anyone here who can give tips to practicing welding ? If I build a frame, I see no reason why I couldn't dust off the old Lincoln and use it. Is there a reason I should invest in a Mig other than to have a Mig? I would like to do this myself but am a bit leary on building a chassis.

I am not a professional welder, but I have seen professional welders do some amazing things with an ac stick welder, or for that matter an acetylene torch. It's just a matter of familiarity and practice. I have a lincoln stick welder and a Miller mig. The lincoln is fine for melting heavy iron, but the mig is much more forgiving, especially on lighter gauge steel. The weld is much cleaner also, if you aren't really good with a stick welder the slag can be a real chore to clean up.

Studebucket said:
I have not welded in years, perhaps a decade or more and when I did it was hit or miss quality. I used an old Lincoln arc welder. Is there anyone here who can give tips to practicing welding ? If I build a frame, I see no reason why I couldn't dust off the old Lincoln and use it. Is there a reason I should invest in a Mig other than to have a Mig? I would like to do this myself but am a bit leary on building a chassis.

Investing in a newer machine is your choice, but if ya can't remember how to weld with the machine you have, then buying a new one will not help....:sad:
I also have one of those fine old Lincoln welders, I welded my frame with it and over the past 40 years, lots of other stuff too. As a "AC" Stick machine they are great and easy to learn with.
I suggest you dust it off and buy some fresh rod ( try some E-7014 Rod, it's easy to weld with and has a good tensil ) and get some scraps of steel and start welding, get into practice. Try to get some some scraps or "drops" from a local metal supply and bevel the edges and weld em together untell you get a nice looking bead with good penetration....Lots of basic info on the net to search out, if ya need to read a little .... "BH"

Like everyone says lots of practice, fresh rod and a night class is a great start.

I had not welded in a few years when I started my project and I couldnt stick two peices togeather then I got some new rod and realized why. Old rod just wont work. Good luck with your project. :)..Francis

Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question for the welding Guru's on this forum:

As I get older, I find it's getting much harder to SEE what I am welding. I have corrective eye glasses I normally wear, but when I use them under my hood, I experience a lot of glare from the overhead lights. I think it might be partly from all the optical layers I look through before I see the part I'm working with.

Even when I turn off the lights, I still have a lot of trouble. When I was younger, I had absolutely no problems seeing what I was doing.

So.... how do the visually challenged on this forum see what they are welding?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David

RexRod said:
Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question for the welding Guru's on this forum:

As I get older, I find it's getting much harder to SEE what I am welding. I have corrective eye glasses I normally wear, but when I use them under my hood, I experience a lot of glare from the overhead lights. I think it might be partly from all the optical layers I look through before I see the part I'm working with.

Even when I turn off the lights, I still have a lot of trouble. When I was younger, I had absolutely no problems seeing what I was doing.

So.... how do the visually challenged on this forum see what they are welding?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David

Dave how big is your lens in your hood ? If it's the small one and not the big 4" square opening, you can get a magnifier lens at your welder supply. They REALLY help, I have seen guys stick em in hoods with the big lens too, but I have never seen one for the 4" lenses.
I have one for mine, it's really handi.....especially when I tig stuff. Check out the welding supply....:cool: "BH"

Baby Huey said:
Dave how big is your lens in your hood ? If it's the small one and not the big 4" square opening, you can get a magnifier lens at your welder supply. They REALLY help, I have seen guys stick em in hoods with the big lens too, but I have never seen one for the 4" lenses.
I have one for mine, it's really handi.....especially when I tig stuff. Check out the welding supply....:cool: "BH"

BH,

Thanks for the reply. I just got back from the welding supply house with a new 2.00 lens for my helmet. I do have the larger size opening, but the lens came with an adapter to fit the larger opening.

And I am super pleased to say I have already tried it out and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I can see!

I use the lens with my eye glasses, and what I experience is something even better than more light, I see everything up closer. It's like having my eyes only a couple inches or so from what I am welding when they are actually much farther away. Also, because the lens is curved, I don't see a reflection of my overhead lights from behind anymore (no flat surface to create the image).

Thanks BH!

David

I gotta have one of those. My oldest son does most of my welding lately. I spot everything togeather and he finishes it for me. Old eyes aint so good anymore. Francis

RexRod said:
BH,

Thanks for the reply. I just got back from the welding supply house with a new 2.00 lens for my helmet. I do have the larger size opening, but the lens came with an adapter to fit the larger opening.

And I am super pleased to say I have already tried it out and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I can see!

I use the lens with my eye glasses, and what I experience is something even better than more light, I see everything up closer. It's like having my eyes only a couple inches or so from what I am welding when they are actually much farther away. Also, because the lens is curved, I don't see a reflection of my overhead lights from behind anymore (no flat surface to create the image).

Thanks BH!

David

Hey try putting a cover on the back of your hood from Rubber or even cloth, pin it to the top of your hood with paper clips or clothes pins temporarily. To block the reflections. When you find something that works and doesn't catch your head on fire , attach it with some snaps.
I have a leather overhead welding hood that I use once in a while because it fits close to my head, for welding under cars or places that are tite...But it's HOT to wear in the summer.
At work I used to have to Tig leaks in the bottom of Tri- Chlor-Ethane Vapor Degreaser tanks, down in the drain sumps. Upside down and with a Mirror using a micro tig torch, so I know how handy those magnifiers are !:cool:
Good luck guys and be safe !...."BH"

BH's suggestion is a good one. Use lite leather if you can, (won't burn). A chamious works good. I had the same problem. As you do more welding , you don't notice it so much. I just focus on the weld now and hardly ever have a proble many more.

Ron

I'm that way too with eyesight. I've got tri-focals and have also tried the "cheater" lens in my welding helmet. I finally bought one of those auto-darkening hemets, I love it! Got one at Northern Tool for around 50 bucks. With it I can position my head the right distance from the arc before I strike it and keep it in focus. It's really great for welding in tight areas or small parts.
Tex-T

I hadn't used my tig in about 15 years and it didn't want to work. corroded connections... I took a class at the local college... cost $ 50 ...I think I used three times that much gas and rod in class. It helped hone the skills.
TEX-T said:
I'm that way too with eyesight. I've got tri-focals and have also tried the "cheater" lens in my welding helmet. I finally bought one of those auto-darkening hemets, I love it! Got one at Northern Tool for around 50 bucks. With it I can position my head the right distance from the arc before I strike it and keep it in focus. It's really great for welding in tight areas or small parts.
Tex-T

Also since the frame is the foundation that all is attached to maby buy the frame with the brackets on it save the welder money and go from there. Lots of great choices out there and in here . Several guys in this forum have the resources to bild u one . Using the same train of thought i wont buy a paint booth to paint my car i am having it done. Besides the guy who is painting it owes me and its a great opportunity to get even again. I did a makeshift booth for my accessories and motor and trans and shot them but not brave enough to paint the body.

I really like my auto darkening helmet too. No expert here, but I enjoy the practice I get too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back