Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring kits

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't think I want to trust the existing wiring in the bucket I got . Running into issues, existing and mine. It has sat a couple months while I try and fix some things. I'm a frustrated old fart trying to work around the original builder(s) methods and my own dumb ideas. Anyway..has anyone had good experience with any of those wiring kits advertised? Do they make it easier, less frustrating than doing it yourself? I've done a bunch of motorcycles but, they only have a few wires and components, easy to see and access.

About all I can say is the kits do provide a fresh start. Speedway sells an inexpensive one that I believe gives you enough circuits for any T-bucket. I used a kit for mine and am pleased. However, the kits don't wire themselves; you still have to know how to create good connections and follow wiring diagrams.

Speedway Economy 12 Circuit Wiring Harness

If you can wire a bike, you can figure it out. There are a variety of wireing kits available. Figure out how many circuits you need, then select a kit with more than that to allow for overlooked or future additions. Also pay attention to what type of existing components you have, like steering column, ignition, turn signal switch, alternator, etc. There are various price ranges also. Do some research and decide what best suits your build and budget. I selected a speedway kit that has the correct connectors for my steering column and related lights and signals. The short answer is yes, kits do simplify things.

Just make your own harness. You can buy everything on line since Radio shack closed. Fuse panel 8 circuit--buss bar for ground--terminals and wire plus a turn signal switch(Speedway) and in no time it will get done. I'll look for a diagram .

Jim might have the diagram.

I ordered a Spirit Superkit, which has the E-Z Wiring version of a 12 circuit electrical harness kit. It's the same kit they use in their turn-key cars.

I've been able to find both the Speedway and E-Z Wiring kits on Amazon, so if you're a prime member that could save you some $ or shipping time.

The advantage of the kits seems to be that they have all the wires color coded and marked every few inches so it's hard to make mistakes there . . .

And that they have connectors for all the usual steering columns.

Wiring kits have been around for a long time now, and as such, are well matured products with all the usual initial development issues well behind them.

Using a Speedway, E-Z Wiring or the more expensive Painless Wiring kit would make an excellent starting point.

Here's a link to the instructions for the E-Z Wiring kit . . . it has a lot of diagrams for charging systems and other items that would be good to have if you wanted to do a DIY scratch build harness.

http://d44tech.com/EZ_Wiring_Manual.pdf

I enjoy wiring, so I always scratch wire. Del City Wire has everything needed and is reasonably priced. I did try one time with a kit. Just wasn't happy. Trashed it and did it my way. It does take some planning if you are wanting to run all wire through looms to different places, but that is one of the things I like about it.
Lee

Need some inspiration ??? I've never wired a car before, but it can be done from scratch. It's
not the most economical, but it is definitely satisfying and it's done your way. If you were
closer I would love to help and charge just enough to recover my cost of wires, connectors ....
etc that I have left over. I know PotvinGuy, Fletcherson and others are standing ready to help
with any decision you make.

Just another option out of many!

Below are the extremes for wiring a TBucket, most only need 12 circuits at most. There are
down sides to wiring from scratch, one DS that comes to mind is the wires are not labeled
every 3-4 inches.
Complete Rewire Project

FP01_WiringFinished_6314.jpg

FP01_WireDispenser_6014.jpg

FP01_WireDispenser_6016.jpg

PotvinGuy_Wiring_Panel_Installed01.JPG

Thanks for the great replies. Once I can open the door(broken latch) and can lay on the floor to see under the dash to see what's what I'll have a fair idea of the quality of the work. The wiring for the lights looks well thought out in the sense the wiring is run in that ribbed plastic cover stuff and has clips holding it to the frame. It's some little mechanical things that have me wondering about the electricals also, will see. Again, thanks for the info.

I like to buy a kit type terminal block that has no wires of its own, and then run my own wires from the object (horn, radiator, etc.) back to the block.

I have a Painless wiring kit sitting on a shelf in my garage that was purchased for a different project that never got started. Do you think that would be overkill for a T?

How many circuits in this kit?

I like lots of circuits, the fewer devices on a circuit the easier it is to trouble shoot. I had a
starting problem, kept blowing the fuse. Since there was only a relay and the starter on the
circuit it was easy to see the starter was drawing more current now.

Just leave off the ones you don't need and use it, that way you don't spend unnecessarily.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back