Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Worried about frame strength

...it originally had a 327 chevy motor, and the rear end/front end was from a 55 chevy...
...the problem I have is the frame seems very weak. I can grab the fenders and torque the frame back and forth with minimal effort. it seems to flex at the rear frame connector most. is this normal for these? can it be braced somehow?
pics are in this photobucket album
http://photobucket.com/tbucket
thanks a bunch for the advise.
Noah

Here's yet another opinion:

If you advertise those "junk" pieces in the H.A.M.B. classifieds, I'm sure someone there would be eager to take them off your hands. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

What you see as junk, I see as an authentic 1960's hot rod build. Those rear rims look like they've been welded together from 4 rims to make 2 wide ones. That model T front axle with the Chevy bits welded on it is pure 60's. (I think it's much stronger than the Angla axles many used for drag racing - due to the type of steel Mr. Ford used.) That "cobbled together frame" is how they did it back in the '60's, in my opinion. Those original fenders that are getting in your way, the ones that will probably blow off once you get past 25 miles per hour, would be treasured by someone wanting to build a period correct hot rod. So would that rusty old steel body.

The H.A.M.B. is dedicated to building period correct hot rods from the '60's, exactly like yours (and earlier). You could probably sell the entire car there, as is, and get yourself a new fiberglass body and frame kit from one of the T-bucket manufactures. It would be less work for you, look cleaner, look safer and be newer. It would look safer because it comes from a manufacturer and isn't home-made (in many people's view - not mine). It would also have all modern, dependable parts.

Please, please, please - do someone a favor and don't just throw all that "dangerous junk" away. It's very hard to find. Someone will be VERY happy to have it. In fact, if you are going to throw it out, please give me a call and I'll drive down there from Dallas, Texas to get it. I would love to have some of those pieces for my build. 817-919-8863 Although, for your sake, I hope you try to sell it on the H.A.M.B., first.

It's human nature for people who have built modern t-buckets to ridicule a car that's different from theirs in any way. It makes us feel smart and justifies all the time and money we've sunk into our cars. They do the same thing over on the HAMB. They ridicule people who build cars from modern kits and pieces instead of using the old stuff. I'm not saying either camp is right or wrong. I'm just saying there's value in those parts that you don't want and you can use that value to further your own efforts and someone else's, so don't throw it away.

By the way, you can box those frame rails, put braces at the corners and put a cross member in it to stiffen it right up. If you really want a strong frame, you could weld some steel tubing inside the frame rails before boxing them. You could also double box the frame.

The old model T's were designed to flex like that so they could drive over the uneven terrain that was so prevalent before the paved roads had been built. It was a different world.

You can find the H.A.M.B. here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Good luck with your build! I hope you really enjoy it. Please keep us posted.

Attachments

• Model T frame reinforcement.png
    Model T frame reinforcement.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 23
wsdad2, I hate to break it to you, but a lot of us WERE there and remember using parts like you mention, and no, it does not make us feel smart nor justify the money we have put in our cars. I've been playing this game for over 50 years and have learned a few things in that time. One of the most important things is that a hot rod has to be safe to drive it and to be safe it has to be well built. All we were trying to do was steer the original poster in a direction to save him a lot of greif and wasted time and money. I would not use a stock model t frame under ANY car except a restored model t, regardless of how well it was boxed and crossmembered.

I am also on the HAMB and like traditional cars, to a degree. Using more modern components on them sometimes makes them a better car all the way around, and I build my cars to drive, so I want them to look old timey but to have the performance and dependability of newer technology.

Don

Don I'm with you i want safe and fun.

Here's yet another opinion:

If you advertise those "junk" pieces in the H.A.M.B. classifieds, I'm sure someone there would be eager to take them off your hands. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

What you see as junk, I see as an authentic 1960's hot rod build. Those rear rims look like they've been welded together from 4 rims to make 2 wide ones. That model T front axle with the Chevy bits welded on it is pure 60's. (I think it's much stronger than the Angla axles many used for drag racing - due to the type of steel Mr. Ford used.) That "cobbled together frame" is how they did it back in the '60's, in my opinion. Those original fenders that are getting in your way, the ones that will probably blow off once you get past 25 miles per hour, would be treasured by someone wanting to build a period correct hot rod. So would that rusty old steel body.

The H.A.M.B. is dedicated to building period correct hot rods from the '60's, exactly like yours (and earlier). You could probably sell the entire car there, as is, and get yourself a new fiberglass body and frame kit from one of the T-bucket manufactures. It would be less work for you, look cleaner, look safer and be newer. It would look safer because it comes from a manufacturer and isn't home-made (in many people's view - not mine). It would also have all modern, dependable parts.

Please, please, please - do someone a favor and don't just throw all that "dangerous junk" away. It's very hard to find. Someone will be VERY happy to have it. In fact, if you are going to throw it out, please give me a call and I'll drive down there from Dallas, Texas to get it. I would love to have some of those pieces for my build. 817-919-8863 Although, for your sake, I hope you try to sell it on the H.A.M.B., first.

It's human nature for people who have built modern t-buckets to ridicule a car that's different from theirs in any way. It makes us feel smart and justifies all the time and money we've sunk into our cars. They do the same thing over on the HAMB. They ridicule people who build cars from modern kits and pieces instead of using the old stuff. I'm not saying either camp is right or wrong. I'm just saying there's value in those parts that you don't want and you can use that value to further your own efforts and someone else's, so don't throw it away.

By the way, you can box those frame rails, put braces at the corners and put a cross member in it to stiffen it right up. If you really want a strong frame, you could weld some steel tubing inside the frame rails before boxing them. You could also double box the frame.

The old model T's were designed to flex like that so they could drive over the uneven terrain that was so prevalent before the paved roads had been built. It was a different world.

You can find the H.A.M.B. here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Good luck with your build! I hope you really enjoy it. Please keep us posted.

For some reason or several, this post got under my skin. Maybe it's the unsafe advice from a 4th time poster? Maybe it's because you go out of your way to try and draw the original poster away from this site and to the H.A.M in your opening sentence. That site was mentioned several times and I almost feel as if it were a form of advertising. Maybe it's because the link was listed as well? Something here just stinks to high heaven and I can't seem to put my finger on it. Can anyone else help me with this? Is this the detractor that Mike made reference to last week?

Jimbo, man, you said exactly what I was feeling. It is one thing to suggest that a member might find some info he needs on another forum, but another thing to be so in your face about it. I belong to the HAMB, and a couple of other forums too, and each has it's place. But I will stand by my original statement that the original poster would be better served to just use a frame that doesn't need so much work to make it usable, and that he will be better off using anyway.

This very subject has come up on the HAMB and most people even there agree that model T frames were the weakest and least desirable of them all. I am running a model a frame and it took a lot of work and thought to get it strong enough to use under my 27. I would have been better off just building a new one from scratch or using a repro frame.

Don

For some reason or several, this post got under my skin. Maybe it's the unsafe advice from a 4th time poster? Maybe it's because you go out of your way to try and draw the original poster away from this site and to the H.A.M in your opening sentence. That site was mentioned several times and I almost feel as if it were a form of advertising. Maybe it's because the link was listed as well? Something here just stinks to high heaven and I can't seem to put my finger on it. Can anyone else help me with this? Is this the detractor that Mike made reference to last week?

I didn't mean to make anyone mad or upset.

All I wanted to point out is that those parts everyone was condemning has value to some people and the HAMB is where you can find them. I suggested he could sell them to those people and then use that money towards completing his car in a manner that mirrors the opinions here on this forum - which seemed to be a better fit for him, I thought. He had "Medic" in his name so I reasoned safety was probably foremost in his thoughts. I've worked in the medical field and you don't want the appearance of being unsafe or you're looked at as reckless or uncaring. Newly manufactured parts look safer than old parts welded together in someone's garage.

I thought that hiding a frame that was stronger than needed inside the decorative model T frame was a reasonably good idea. If the new frame inside the model T frame would be strong enough on it's own to do the job, then having the model T frame surround it wouldn't make it any weaker, now would it? Saying it is dangerous no matter how it is done is hyperbole. In the frame I suggested, the model T part of the frame was basically decoration. But you didn't understand that, did you? That's OK. It doesn't mean you're dumb, just a little quick to pull the trigger on an idea that's different than yours. I've been guilty of that myself. I think we all probably have.

Sure it would be easier and less work to build a frame out of new square steel or DOM - just like you did. It also would also be lighter. Building like yours would have those advantages. It would also be easier and less work to buy a PT Cruiser. There would even be some advantages over owning a T bucket. It's really just a discussion of degrees. How antique do you want it to look? PT Cruisers look antique, sort of. If the OP desires a genuine 70 year old model T frame, I provided a way to safely do that. Hiding a really, really, really strong frame, stronger than anyone could ever need, inside the purely decorative model T frame would have the advantage of looking more antique than one made of square tube or DOM. That's about the only advantage. If that doesn't float your boat, don't do it.

I was just posting a different opinion than those that were already posted. I'm a little sorry if that got under your skin, but not enough to loose any sleep over. I didn't mean for it to bug you. I just thought we were all chiming in with our opinions. How many posts do you recommend before we disagree? Does disagreeing make us "detractors?" Does the guy with the most posts have the best ideas?

I have no reason to draw anyone away from this site to the HAMB. It's not like I get a commission. I don't really care if he checks them out or not. I was just trying to help the guy with his build. 'Guess I'd better not say anything about the NTBA site either, or are they OK to mention?

I guess you think that when the HAMB gets more members, it takes them away from here? I don't think it's like that at all. I think it's more like a mall that draws a lot shoppers to all the stores. I think that if people from here post on the HAMB, they'll likely mention tbucketeers.com. In fact, that's how I found it! It's not a zero sum equation where if a person reads the HAMB, they never come back. Is there some sort of rivalry going on between this site and the HAMB? Is it uncool to mention the HAMB on this forum? If so, I won't mention it out of respect for everyone, but that seems a little odd and childish to me.

I hate posting and emailing. No one can see your facial expressions or hear the tone in your voice, so things get taken in a bad way sometimes. Sometimes readers turn the volume all the way up when soft words were typed. You guys need to not get your feelings hurt so easily - especially when I didn't mean to hurt them. Sheesh!

You guys really proved the point about human nature scoffing at anything that's different from us. I don't care if saying that does get under your skin. It's true. You can be mad at me for saying that if you want - I don't care. I'm not going out of my way to make you or anyone else mad. I'm just typing some ideas about T buckets. If that makes you mad, so be it. It is not my intention anger or offend you. I think you all (that got mad) should have thicker skin. That way we can have a civil conversation, exchange ideas and learn from each other.

You guys know a lot of stuff that I don't. I value that, and want to hear more of your ideas and experiences. However, there might be a slight possibility of a remote chance that I may, one day far off in the future, stumble upon someone who knows something you don't, and I just might repeat what they told me to you. But if we're all attacking each other like a bunch of junior high school girls, we can't listen, and we'll all just end up calling each other names until we feel like we've "won."

I really am kind of likeable once you get to know me. And I am truly sorry if I offended someone or caused suspicion of steeling members or whatever. I don't enjoy upsetting people. But if you're attacking me personally in order to discredit an idea, so that people will listen to you over me, I stop caring about your feelings. They are just a tool you're using to get people to listen to you over me.

I am not important. Whether you like me or think I'm smart is not important. It's the information and ideas that's important. Try discrediting them, not me. Who am I that you would take notice of me? I'm just some random guy typing some words on a screen.

If you think using a T bucket frame is dangerous, explain why! Don't just say it's a bad idea. How the heck is anyone supposed to learn from that? I'll bet you didn't even examine the picture in my first post.

Some of the people on this site need to take a chill pill :( . wsdad was simply suggesting that this original frame would have some value to the right person and to please not throw it away. They are 90 years old and non replaceable. What is so wrong with that? He sounded pretty compassionate about saving it even willing to drive and pick it up himself to save it from the scrapper. The HAMB is the only site I know of where something like this might be wanted so I don't see what the big deal is about referencing it. HAMB content is nothing even remotely close to this site so it's not like he is trying to STEAL everyone from here. I am a member there as well but definitely not for T-bucket content....

As far as the original frame, my friend had one in high school with a 327/glide and it would twist so much the front left tire would come off the ground all the time. Probably not too safe....

List your old ford parts on fordbarn.com there is a section for T's A's V8 ford and late model ford. It's free.

WSDAD2,

It wasn't meant as a personal attack. I was more then a little confused as to why you would make reference to the HAMB several times without informing the OP about this sites classified section. Maybe someone here would be interested in those parts as well? If the OP were to sell the part here maybe someone from the HAMB or another site would come here to purchase said parts and find value in this site as well. Word of mouth travels fast. I have no beef with members checking out other sites. The more information the better right?

As far as crushing the old steel, I'm all for saving it as well for the very same reasons mentioned. I just think it would be better suited for something other then a Bucket, but to each his own.

WSDAD2,

It wasn't meant as a personal attack...

You know, I got to thinking about what I wrote today. And I'm guilty of indulging in the same drama I've criticized others for. From now on, I'll try to keep it on the topic of T buckets and ignore everything else. Sorry for the hijacked thread.

Thanks to all for keeping it at least halfway civil. ;P

I agree with wsdad2, someone will find those parts valuable and want them... and that person would probably be found quite easily on the HAMB rather than here, but don't just throw them away. Parts are hard to find - I've been searching for an affordable T Truck, T Coupe, T Tudor, or even a Model A Pickup for a LONG time. People trash good stuff all the time, and others that have junk and think it's GOLD. Sell hte parts you aren't going to use to someone that wants those parts.

Put me in there with Don's suggestion too, as I also would recommend replacing most, if not all, of the parts with something safer and purpose-built for the amount of abuse we throw at these little cars.

We're all back on track now. Time to build a hot rod.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back