Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Zandoz's unusual project and it's background, evolution, acquisitions, dilemmas, and questions

Coming up with suitable seating and arranging the steering column & gas pedal(s) is going to be a nightmare. To be honest it's going to take a good bit of luck for me to be able to drive it at all without hand controls. Unfortunately comfort is going to have to take a back seat to usability.

I REALLY wish I could afford to switch gears and go with one of RPM's widened bodies...I'd have a much better shot at usability AND comfort. As is I can't afford to scrap the body, expensive rear suspension, and rear axle that I have.
not sure what suspension you have, can you make it work, or adapt the suspension components to a wider rearend?

instead of banging your head against the wall , sell what you have & get what you need..
dave

I really wish it were that simple.

I seriously overpaid for the body...I'd be lucky to get 1/3 the cost of the replacement. The rear end also would be about 1/3 the cost of replacement. Since I'm using the factory axle bracketry, I'd have the extra cost of the bracketry and welding. No idea how the rear suspension linkage would pan out...based on new cost, what I have should be worth more than the replacements, but the market is shrinking fast.

What it all boils down to is that changing directions would be costly. Because of my tiny budget it would take considerable time to get back to the point I'm at...and right now time is more precious than money.

not sure what suspension you have, can you make it work, or adapt the suspension components to a wider rearend?

What I have is Fox body Mustang racing triangulated linkage and sway bar, connected to Thunderbird Turbo Coupe factory axle and bracketry. The upper link attachment points are cast into the "pumpkin". There are lower link brackets out there, but generally they run around $200-300. I've worked out the frame bracketry myself. What I have for the frame lower link brackets should be useable. The upper frame brackets would require starting from scratch.

I originally had no intent to use this suspension...I could not have told you what type of suspension a fox Mustang/T-Bird had. I just wanted the T-Bird's Ford 8.8, at the width I needed, and with the bonus of disc brakes. I'd intended to cut off the factory bracketry, and use one of the custom suspension layouts I'd designed. The axle was delivered with all of the T-Bird links still attached. My first thought was could the factory configuration work for me. Measurements said it was plausible...and a few days later I ran across the Mustang racing links for a fraction of their replacement cost. That sealed it.

If I were to start over with a wider axle, I doubt that the original Fox configuration would be practical. I'd probably go back to one of my own configurations. Probably an an S10 sport truck upper wishbone with a flex joint, and 2 lower links.

Have you considered a mid engine car? If you have to have an exposed motor put one of the
Plastic mockup motors out there. With a hood and track nose your brake pedal problems are over.

Have you seen this? I bought the whole set and found lots of good info. Johnhttp://www.streetrodplans.com/product/model-hotrod-t-bucket-modifications-dvd-set/

I may have to spring for the T-bucket & Model A mods one.

Have you considered a mid engine car? If you have to have an exposed motor put one of the
Plastic mockup motors out there. With a hood and track nose your brake pedal problems are over.

As intriguing as that would be, it would be beyond my health and fabrication abilities, and I'd have to scrap a lot of what I've invested in...engine, transmission, rear end, the entire rear suspension, etc.. If I hadn't taken a 30+ year hiatus from car stuff, I'd probably have already tackled something like that.

If I had the $$$ what I'd likely do is start with one of RPM's stretched and widened bodies, with a conventional powertrain. The width would solve both seating and brake problems.

The grab bar hoop started out as strictly entry/exit assist. I've known from the start that I'd not be able to use the body for support, and support is a must for me. It wasn't till later that a duh bubble burst and it dawned on me that it would work for steering column and hinge support.

If I can work out a good way to do it, I want another hoop at the rear...just high enough above the body to make it grabable. The problem is going to be mounting points that will not prevent body removal.

For windshield support I'm sailing into uncharted waters. First off, I'm not using a formal windshield... I'm going with a pair of Brooklands racing windscreens....
View attachment 11902

They will mount along the top of the cowl/dash, with 2 feet each. I could probably get by with metal plates on the underside for reinforcement...but I'm planning on something else. I'm hesitant to go into detail until I've actually tried it, because I would hate to have someone else try it, and have it dangerously fail at highway speeds. In general terms it involves using a marine product intended for casting boat transoms and such, to fill the underside top of the dash/cowl...then fastening the windscreen feet through the fiberglass and the cast material. If it works, the whole top of the cowl/dash would have to break off for the windscreen fasteners to pull through. Plus, since the casting material is tappable, it would make for solid mounting of tonneau cover fasteners.

I know that most of my plans will change when it actually comes time to do. I just like to have somewhat plausible plans for everything, and having those plans seemingly mesh with each other. I'm hoping that doing so will help prevent making big mistakes when I commission having the frame and bracketry built. I'm only going to be able to afford one shot at the frame, and I'm REALLY paranoid that I'm going to screw it up.

I LOVE these! And the gears in my head are turning!:)

I realized today that I'd failed to give this story an epilogue.

Unfortunately, life has terminated this build just before planning and acquisition turned into actual building. My health took a nose dive back around the beginning of December. I'm now bedridden with near zero chance of that ever improving.

Why I don't know, but for some reason I've not been able to bring myself to let go. I still have the accumulation of parts, and I still pass time playing with my plans.

Most days I still check in here, and occasionally sound off from the peanut gallery. Hopefully I'll remain welcome here, because this place still feels like home. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement the past few years.

Bill, if I may get personal, what is your health problem? At one time you mentioned a spine problem. My son has spinal stenosis, which is where the bones or discs press against the nerves and cause pain and paralysis. He is getting by for now with regular cortisone injections. But I have read of new techniques using lasers to remove the bits pressing on the nerves. And if you want a second opinion, go to the Mayo Clinic. I live just 90 miles from it and have been there for several problems. They are medical gods. The absolute finest minds and the latest machines to nail your situation. By all means keep in touch with us here.

Just keep posting whatever you want. I and I'm sure others will be here to chat as and when you feel like it.

Bill, if I may get personal, what is your health problem? At one time you mentioned a spine problem. My son has spinal stenosis, which is where the bones or discs press against the nerves and cause pain and paralysis. He is getting by for now with regular cortisone injections. But I have read of new techniques using lasers to remove the bits pressing on the nerves. And if you want a second opinion, go to the Mayo Clinic. I live just 90 miles from it and have been there for several problems. They are medical gods. The absolute finest minds and the latest machines to nail your situation. By all means keep in touch with us here.

I hav a combination of known and mystery issues.

The known parts are a bone spur pressing on the spinal cord in my neck, and advanced degenerative joint disease, combined with Diabetes and being fat. 7 years ago I had a one-time-only operation to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord...there is no more that can be safely removed. All compartments of my knees are bone-on-bone, as are my hips.

The mystery issue is what finally left me in the bed. Right after Thanksgiving I had severe flu like symptoms, one of which was weakness...after 3 days I could no longer stand. After 3 weeks of therapy I was actually a bit better than before the mystery flu. 2 days before I was scheduled to go home the flu symptoms returned. I went home as scheduled, but within a few days the weakness progressed and once again I was falling every time I tried to stand. This time after another month of therapy there was no progress, and I was sent home January 31st. Since then I'm stuck in this bed, not only without enough strength to stand, but weak to the point I can't even open a bottle of Diet Dr Pepper myself.

I hav a combination of known and mystery issues.

The known parts are a bone spur pressing on the spinal cord in my neck, and advanced degenerative joint disease, combined with Diabetes and being fat. 7 years ago I had a one-time-only operation to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord...there is no more that can be safely removed. All compartments of my knees are bone-on-bone, as are my hips.

The mystery issue is what finally left me in the bed. Right after Thanksgiving I had severe flu like symptoms, one of which was weakness...after 3 days I could no longer stand. After 3 weeks of therapy I was actually a bit better than before the mystery flu. 2 days before I was scheduled to go home the flu symptoms returned. I went home as scheduled, but within a few days the weakness progressed and once again I was falling every time I tried to stand. This time after another month of therapy there was no progress, and I was sent home January 31st. Since then I'm stuck in this bed, not only without enough strength to stand, but weak to the point I can't even open a bottle of Diet Dr Pepper myself.
A lady that I am acquainted with had a similar issue, it turned out that she actually had developed an infection in her spine, c3, I think. She was bed ridden for months untill they decided to do a full MRI, which told the tale. I don't remember the actual medical term, but you just never know sometimes. Don't give up!

A lady that I am acquainted with had a similar issue, it turned out that she actually had developed an infection in her spine, c3, I think. She was bed ridden for months untill they decided to do a full MRI, which told the tale. I don't remember the actual medical term, but you just never know sometimes. Don't give up!

Since the beginning of December, I've been pumped full of 3 different industrial strength IV antibiotics, and 2 courses of oral...basically as a shotgun approach. No help. Since there are no or has there been any active investigation into what happened, beyond blood tests, the only real hope is that the strength miraculously comes back on its own.

Since the beginning of December, I've been pumped full of 3 different industrial strength IV antibiotics, and 2 courses of oral...basically as a shotgun approach. No help. Since there are no or has there been any active investigation into what happened, beyond blood tests, the only real hope is that the strength miraculously comes back on its own.
It sucks being on your back! Been there. Try to keep a positive outlook. Hopefully things will turn around for you.

sorry to hear about your problems its for sure no fun to be laid up in bed im only about 60 miles from you and would be happy to drive down and chat and if you get to were you can work on your project im willing to help for sure you can pm me if your interested just keep your spirits up.

I feel your pain. I'm not as bad as you but the bone on bone knees is no fun. About 15 min. calls for a rest. Keep at it and we will do what we can for you. Praying for you buddy.

It sucks being on your back! Been there. Try to keep a positive outlook. Hopefully things will turn around for you.

sorry to hear about your problems its for sure no fun to be laid up in bed im only about 60 miles from you and would be happy to drive down and chat and if you get to were you can work on your project im willing to help for sure you can pm me if your interested just keep your spirits up.

I feel your pain. I'm not as bad as you but the bone on bone knees is no fun. About 15 min. calls for a rest. Keep at it and we will do what we can for you. Praying for you buddy.

Thank all of you for your kindness. These are great examples of why this place feels like home.

I wish I could say that I have real hope for getting better enough for continuing my project...but I'd not be truthful if I did. As always, I'll just have to see what the future brings.

Look at it this way. Designing and solving problems is fun and cheaper and less stressful than building. You still have a lot to contribute to this forum and a lot of us will miss you if you don't talk to us anymore.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back