Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

'23 Roadster Build

In post #54. Where column is coming out of firewall. There is a cover with 4 bolts around it. Looks very cool. What is that? I want one.

It's been a while since I last posted. Work has me traveling quite a bit so I only get a little time here and there to play with the car. I've done more than what I"m showing but I haven't gone through my pictures all the way. I am glad that the site is back up and running; thanks Cooter for letting me know. I really appreciate it. I jump around alot on the car depending on what I feel like doing at the time. I started wooding the body along the top edge and adding stringers. The wood is Bondo'd in place and then glassed over with 3 layers of mat. I added dry floral foam between the stringers and glassed over that with 3 layers as well. I will fill in any low spots with long hair filler and eventually skim coat the entire inside with body filler to get a good smooth finish. The floor has 3 layers of tabs and the entire floor has 1 layer of mat on it at the moment. Hopefully that will do the job. I'm sure there a hundred ways to skin this cat.
CIMG0005.jpg
CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0008.jpg

3/4" cabinet grade plywood. All the reading I did led me to the 3/4". Depending on what I read it was between exterior and cabinet grade. After I had it glassed in several people said I should have used exterior or marine ply. That's the main reason I am glassing the living crap out of everything to include the entire floor. Looking back I would have bought a less expensive piece of ply (exterior grade) since you won't see it anyway. Maybe on the next one, ha ha. I'm learning alot on this build, although slow, still learning. The site coming back up really helps out alot.

A special thanks to Ron Pope for my custom windshield brackets. I called him on the phone one day and we discussed the possibility of making them. About a week later my phone rang and he said they were done and on the way. The are along the lines of the Detroit Speedcraft stuff, but you don't have to buy an entire car to get them. Great design Ron, I think they are going to work out great. I just need to figure out my dash.
WS%20Brackets.jpg

A special thanks to Ron Pope for my custom windshield brackets. I called him on the phone one day and we discussed the possibility of making them. About a week later my phone rang and he said they were done and on the way. The are along the lines of the Detroit Speedcraft stuff, but you don't have to buy an entire car to get them. Great design Ron, I think they are going to work out great. I just need to figure out my dash.
WS%20Brackets.jpg
You don't have to buy a $400 frame either.

WS%20Brackets.jpg

Those look interesting. I assume they would be used to support a frameless plexi-glass or Lexan windshield...correct?

I'm not running any kind of windshield frame either. It's been this way all summer and I've put on 2400 miles. Had to tighten the right side posts to body bolts once.

I have pics, but it's not letting me post them. There is NO button for uploading files.

That is correct. They are $70 no expensive frame, just a pc of lexan.

If I didn't already have a set of Brooklands for mine, that's the way I'd go.

If a guy wanted, he could use safety glass also. Use a cheapy sand blaster, duct tape, and make the holes with the blaster. Done it a few times on non car related items. Use nylon washers and bushings where the bolts are used. Some aluminum channel ureathaned to top for a bit of strength, and it looks a bit more finished. My roadster is done that way.
Lee

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back