Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

48 axle ideas?

Chirp

So I'm out picking up parts for a T bucket build, and I ended up with a complete 48 Ford front end mainly for the spindles and brakes. Upon further eyeballing the spring and axle seem to be in nice shape. I realize the perch hole locations are wider than "normal" causing interference issues .So I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully used this set up? Tire size, or rim offset perhaps or just wishbone to fix.
Also, the rear to the 48 is available but I'm unfamilar with these. Would it work well in a small block based bucket?

Thanks!!

That frontend and the rear wish bones will work great ,i sold a friend a set up like that i had started and when he finished it looked real good on his T.
There are a lot of them used on rat rod these days ,you can try the ''rat rods rule'' forum for some more ideas ,there are a few of us who frequint there and its a great sight also.

Thanks I'll give it a try.Do you by chance have any pictures of T's with the later axles in them? Thanks

You made a good choice for the spindles and brakes. The wish bone could be used too. The best way to overcome the wishbone interferance is to find a '37 to '40 axle. It will made life a lot easier for you.

The '48 rear is going to be a tall ratio. You would be happier with an S-10 or 8" Ford rear. Something with a gear ratio between 3.08 and 3.56. The torque tube on the rear is also a problem to adapt to a later model trans.

Ron

More info to mull over,Thanks....
How about this: The donor is a 84 5.0 mustang with 5 speed. Would the 7.5 posi from this car be suitable for the rear? I haven't measured but it's fairly narrow. Thanks to all!!

Chirp said:
More info to mull over,Thanks....
How about this: The donor is a 84 5.0 mustang with 5 speed. Would the 7.5 posi from this car be suitable for the rear? I haven't measured but it's fairly narrow. Thanks to all!!
Use everything you can from the mustang but don't use a posi rear in the T.I'm building a 27 T RPU and have a complete SVO 4 cylinder driveline I plan on using .I spoke with Mickey Lauria about this and he advised against using any "posi" type rear in a T they are too light for the posi to work correctly.If Mickey says "don't do it"thats good enough for me .Mickey showed me pics of one of his Ts he drag raced with a open rear and it lays down dual burns for 20 feet as if it was posi !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back