Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

I've rebuilt a couple 403 olds out of trans ams of the late '70's. Nothing to report really. They seem to be a smooth running motor with decent torque like most olds engines. I'm sure it will have no problem moving your bucket along. I was never a fan of putting them in a Pontiac, or a 305 for that matter, but I'm a long time poncho fan. Cool to see something different in a bucket. Keep up the good work.

Gotta tease you a bit, fletcherson. A 403 Olds out of a Pontiac TransAm? Really??? :confused:
Not my ta, customer cars... No offense taken... I never understood why gm put anything other than a Pontiac engine in Pontiacs. Well, with the exception of the 301... Even the turbo version was disappointing. Gm made many decisions that were horrible for muscle cars, like mandating that only corvette could have multiple carbs... Bad decision. I love the old multi carb engines in various makes... The good old days.

I think that's what got GM in trouble with Oldsmobile years ago. They were putting other engines in the Olds cars. They called them GM engines. People didn't like that. If they bought an Olds they wanted and Olds engine not something else (maybe like a Chevy engine).

I think that's what got GM in trouble with Oldsmobile years ago. They were putting other engines in the Olds cars. They called them GM engines. People didn't like that. If they bought an Olds they wanted and Olds engine not something else (maybe like a Chevy engine).
I remember... They were putting 305 sbc in everything. Painting it different colors, lol... Not that it was a horrible motor, but sort of dishonest ish. Turning a olds 350 into a diesel didn't help either... Horrible. The smog years...

Olds did do a really nice little V8. If I could find one I would have it like a piece of jewellery. BTW No details available on this picture

Wimbles Bucket1 (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).jpg

Olds did do a really nice little V8. If I could find one I would have it like a piece of jewellery.

Gerry, I believe you are referring to the BOP/GM 215 cu in aluminum V-8 of the early 60's, which they installed in some Skylark/Cutlass/Tempest chassis. Casting difficulties with the aluminum block did them in, even though GM solved the problems, but interest remained high among performance enthusiasts because of the light weight. Rover built them in UK for awhile and MG even installed them in their cars briefly in the early 70's. Cool little engine, and definitely a candidate for a T-bucket, but pricey due to availability. Here's a link to a co. that specializes in them: (Sorry for the thread hijack!)

Technical

Gerry, I believe you are referring to the BOP/GM 215 cu in aluminum V-8 of the early 60's, which they installed in some Skylark/Cutlass/Tempest chassis. Casting difficulties with the aluminum block did them in, even though GM solved the problems, but interest remained high among performance enthusiasts because of the light weight. Rover built them in UK for awhile and MG even installed them in their cars briefly in the early 70's. Cool little engine, and definitely a candidate for a T-bucket, but pricey due to availability. Here's a link to a co. that specializes in them: (Sorry for the thread hijack!)

Technical
They offered a super charged version in some f85... Early aluminum castings had problems. I remember when aluminum heads were junk...

GM bungled a couple ( at least) aluminum .block engines , the aforementioned 215 , the Vega , the cad north star , there's probably more ..

Yep guys you know your stuff. We have 9 of the Rover version in a shed ready for our next few projects.

When I was young had a1965 GTO with trips on her , was a 389 but boy she would fly , also had a 63 Vette with the factory fuel injection with a 327 was also dam fast

When I was young had a1965 GTO with trips on her , was a 389 but boy she would fly , also had a 63 Vette with the factory fuel injection with a 327 was also dam fast

Those were both keepers. Ah, youth . . . never enough money or foresight to keep the toys that will hold or increase their value.

Yep guys you know your stuff. We have 9 of the Rover version in a shed ready for our next few projects.

That should have read.... at one time we had. It was almost 40 years ago now.

Reactions: Guy
48 years ago for me, Oh i took my T Bucket to the car show not sure if i already told you was way too hot 96 when i left got there and was too hot on the parking lot went to applebees for desert and ice tea and going home at 7:45 was nice ride temp had dropped to 84 even got to put my lights on first time

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back