Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Looks good.

Hmm.... I just found this pic. It looks as though the location of CCR's brake arm, leaves enough room to stretch the left leg, without bending the arm.

full

Attachments

• ccr hand brake location.jpg
    ccr hand brake location.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
I think I got this figured out. Thanks everyone for your input.

I'll change the pivot point of the pedal to the other side of the column by turning the shoulder bolt into a shaft. A shafted bell crank.

That'll put the brake pedal on the right side of the column and leave just enough room for my left foot.

The throttle? I'll figure something out.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Excellent! It's a safety thing, too; when I need the brake I just slap my foot against the column and push down. No searching for the pedal.

My throttle pedal mounts to the inner firewall:
6sbd_0-0lFZorQjvuJmKU3ZOv-9Ajjzx_fuNCs8TXVawe2mF14jKHI6E_CDYCn8nWiKvv8IuhINLeuy5l3yOhLUf62gXWTgYlygcUm3LF2ynpqY6qdnAHFgyCUpue0HOGi7kcbEFpjSeKv3X-HxYA1XWjiggN6NOfEnMCkAlChnmg7SSh0wi8x2tSQeGXuAg0zkb7tYxC0j1GacGAzWpn-CeF5BxWx_PLdjogjVQTnoJPAxwZO4jmxy4jupBSvY4EmpgYE5Ob4ixsBJCfYkmK83yGt3n6VgHlpFtxnx8apGI_B9ROFJ8Ef8RU8fS7_K0l02UTxCeOVWN-h8kFdH6P8780UBYJ-ylaxIjBOtvWZbo4K1HAn5fpCoaRzP8FOgOHiZvBr2WeCZumZfirS9dcSDLTy3QJBdUpW7TV6cXFLWUo62YKw5FlkqpAR3g8mpxUK7DrJ05ZYr_DVghtE4VT0mmi_rstD0dbsj-Wt62IKVXkUkaHaxcIvpRrcRPVvVajT7FrVRMaY2nrM4lAp5yecKNeoX58jTMUiNM4riSY87Twr6u1qHyKKm4-p2WM0xJh_0YyXf9z448uGY0e6w4jfrZG4A21Iym5Mja9d5sUVb3Q5QPrWd6fjgbzDT-m1s_gtxZ_LPCCJwDxPvslNskKFrbUr8RiLhhSZLs5s9n0cwWfg=w885-h664-no

I made a roller for the cable to pass over and dive under the trans opening to reach the engine (I don't like things penetrating the firewall; it's an esthetic quirk). The inner firewall is just a piece of aluminum that stands off 1/2" from the body firewall. All the wiring and hoses pass between them for a clean look.

I had to make bell cranks for my brake and clutch linkage, but mine is under the floor. It was a little work, but adds adjustability in for fine tuning to drivers taste. My accelerator pedal is over the bell housing a bit, but I was able to keep the floor flat, so it's a non issue. In mine, it's tight with both pedals, and the column, but doable. Did I mention my size 12w boots? Lol.

I had to make bell cranks for my brake and clutch linkage, but mine is under the floor. It was a little work, but adds adjustability in for fine tuning to drivers taste. My accelerator pedal is over the bell housing a bit, but I was able to keep the floor flat, so it's a non issue. In mine, it's tight with both pedals, and the column, but doable. Did I mention my size 12w boots? Lol.
Try 14N. I have to buy my shoes online.

I know a lot of people don't like a vertical column, but one of my aims was to make the access to pedals as good as I could. With the steering column out of the way, coupled to the shifter being on the top of it along side the steering wheel it gave me the choice of either right or left foot braking and a confortable postion for my legs and feet.

20170804_133418 (Copy).JPG

20170804_133429 (Copy).JPG

20170804_133600 (Copy).JPG

I haven't been on this site for a few days but logged in today and just had to throw in a comment. I guess I am a "homo nimrod" descendant because I left foot brake both of my daily drivers. Potvin Giy, I have never heard that term before but kind of like it and it may account for some of the other things I do. I don't ever rest my left foot on the brake pedal. I know left foot braking is frowned on by many people (including my family members) but I have done it for years with no problems. I right foot brake my bucket because the brake pedal and accelerator are very crowded close together on the right side of the steering column.

I left foot brake both of my daily drivers.

Same here, I have used my left foot for braking since I was a teenager. It's mandatory in racing karts, so it worked to my advantage. My left foot skills have been tested many times now, my right foot wouldn't know what to do with two pedals!

Same here, I have used my left foot for braking since I was a teenager. It's mandatory in racing karts, so it worked to my advantage. My left foot skills have been tested many times now, my right foot wouldn't know what to do with two pedals!
Many round track guys left foot brake. I, personally, do not. My mother has always done it and has put the passenger into the dash on more than one occasion, lol... she is very cautious. I don't recall any more than normal brake pad wear from her over the years, so she must manage not to rest her foot on the pedal. Whatever works for YOU is the right way for YOU, imho.

I know a lot of people don't like a vertical column, but one of my aims was to make the access to pedals as good as I could. With the steering column out of the way, coupled to the shifter being on the top of it along side the steering wheel it gave me the choice of either right or left foot braking and a confortable postion for my legs and feet.

View attachment 13786

View attachment 13787

View attachment 13788
I converted mine from vertical column to cowl mount because between the shifter, clutch, and brake pedal, it was VERY uncomfortable, undrivable, really. Now, that was in a '23 standard tub. I could see it working out in a stretched tub, but it wasn't doable in mine. The other thing that I didn't like was entry, egress... with the vertical column, it was difficult. Your ride is well done, I'm in no way knocking it. Whatever works for the builder is the right thing for that person. I can see the advantage as far as pedal room with a vertical column IF there is room between the column, seat, shifter, etc... alright Choppinczech, make some more progress so we can stop hijacking your build thread! Sorry for my participation in the detour!

Are you able to drive a standard shift without stepping on the clutch instead of the brake in a REAL emergency? That split second reaction time can be life or death. Think about it.

Jim

Are you able to drive a standard shift without stepping on the clutch instead of the brake in a REAL emergency? That split second reaction time can be life or death. Think about it.

Jim
Well obviously I wouldn't be fast as I could be, but I don't have any standard shift cars right now. The left foot braking does allow me to cover both the brake and gas at the same time when I perceive a situation developing. There are pro and cons to both types of braking.

I don't know why some of you think that just because we left foot brake we have to rest our foot on the brake pedal. Moving your foot from rest to the brake is the same as moving your foot from the gas to the brake. Here's something to think about. How many times has an elderly person confused the gas for the brake and run their car through the front of a building or into a crowd. I like to think that after years of left foot braking, if i'm pushing on something with my right foot my brain will instinctively know it's not the brake.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back