Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A couple pics of my latest project

Thanks for the compliments.
The latest project was the air tank. I dont have anywhere on the car to hide one. I couldnt find one I liked, that I would want exposed. So I decided to make one. And go for the look of the gas tank, or over flow, mounted out front. I cant use the spun aluminum store bought tanks, because they will not take 150 psi. And they are to big, they block a lot of air to the radiator. So build one it was :D

Ends being pressed. 3/16" steel in a 30 ton press

100_0603.jpg

100_0604.jpg

100_0606.jpg

100_0613.jpg

Here it is mostly welded, the legs and bottom port are shown. The bung is threaded 3/4-16 to bolt in down. And threaded 1/8" npt up the middle for the air outlet. It is 5" schedule 10 pipe. So 5.5" OD. Legs hold it up 1" off the frame. And here it is sitting in place. The fill cap is just a dummy to give the illusion of a fuel tank.

100_0614.jpg

Lke, that is a sweet looking air tank. Your whole project is looking great.
You gotta hate the guys that have all the cool tools(big hydraulic press).lol:D

Eric

One step closer to driving an awesome ride . Keep up the good work.

Big hydraulic press... the ability to weld an air tank... I'm going to be sick... :sick:

(showoff) :D

Looking good as always.

I started on the headers today. I hate building headers more than pretty much anything else....

header001.jpg

If you look at the front (and only header)tube, you can see a hose clamp on it. I had to shorten the mega phone, and they have to be shortened on the front, or else the block off plates wont fit. So when I cut off the front, it was then bigger than the tube that needed to connect to it. So I had to buy a larger u bend, cut it to fit, then cut a section out, so I could taper it to fit up to the tube coming out of the flange. Putting on a hose clamp and tightening it is how you taper the tubes. It looks pretty cool with the taper of the meg continuing into the bend.

If a person were to need a frame like this about what would the cost be less shipping Thanks, Dwight

If a person were to need a frame like this about what would the cost be less shipping Thanks, Dwight

Ever heard that saying "if you gotta ask how much, you cant afford it" ? This would kind of be like that LOL. There is so much time in the layout, and fit up. Not to mention the tapering of the rails.... and all the tube work... And I dont know how far you would want me to build it. Would you want, engine mounts, suspension mounts, body fitted, steering set up, etc in it ? If you walked into my shop and said how much for a frame just like that, I would probably throw out a $3000 number. And again that would depend on exactly what you wanted, how far you wanted me to build it. This chassis has a lot of little detail stuff that is extrmely time consuming that you may not want. The parts I make and sell, like motor mounts, radius bars, brackets, etc., are priced competitively with most everyone. My one-off custom stuff is not. It is just so time consuming to build something like this, that I want to be compensated well for it. But if you are interested, PM me.

Your right probably can't afford it. but I like to dream I really like your air bag on the jag rear. I have one laying in the garage not assigned to a project. never learn anything if you don't ask. Thanks Dwight

If you see any thing I am doing that have questions about, ask away. I will do my best to answer.

Exhaust fab work is done, now the final welding needs to be done.

100_0628.jpg

That's looking awesome!

Great job on headers .Are you going to have exhaust cutouts to use headers both ways?

Great job on headers .Are you going to have exhaust cutouts to use headers both ways?

Just this.

100_0627.jpg

I am not going to have any way to block off the lower section. I wanted it removeable, but with the angle of the megaphone, and the height of the 90 coming off of it, I just dint have room/ height. The aluminize section is flanged to fit over the 90, so it is removeable. And the turn out at the end is also removeable, so I can stick a muffler in each end. It doesnt show on the pic, but that side pipe has a curve in it. The aluminized section is straight, and the black section is a mandrel bend. It pulls the pipe in 2.5" at the end, so the pipes match the contour of the body.

I got the front brakes on. These front wheels are spindle mounts from the 60's, and have no provisions fo brakes. I had to machine an adaptor to mount the rotors to. And to complicate it, there is very little room between the wheel and spindle, so I had to keep it small. The rotors came from forum sponsor Wintec. The calipers are two piston wilwoods from summit racing. I just made the brackets myself. So far it looks like it will work nice. the only concern may be that the calipers say the max disc diameter is 9", and the rotor is a 10". But so far it looks like it will work ok. If it give me any problems, I will have my own rotors cut at 9" diamter, and make new caliper mounts.

frbr.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back