Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

AmericanGraffiti's Project Diary

Did you use the original attachment points on the seat frame, or did you have to do something special to be able to fasten those mounts?

Hi Bill, I used the original seat locations on the 1999 Dodge Caravan middle row seat. You'll note the position is off set, one on the end and the other slightly off center. This works well because it allows me to bolt the seat through the floor and clear the frame.

What is the thickness of the metal. That set up would work the same on my seat.

Ford, the material I bought is 3" x 1/8" steel. Once bent it actually is very strong. The front is 6" tall and the rear is 3" tall.

I mounted my seat to the frame and that way the seat stands a better chance of staying with the car in case of an accident.

Jim

Good progress. I would think about strengthening those seat brackets somehow. Maybe box them on one side or weld some gussets on the inside corners. It just looks like it would flex forward & back a bit.

Looks like a great project, I wish i had that kinda room in mine. How far is the body streched? I am running a original 27 steel body so i am limited on room and im 6ft 3in . Not a good combo. I am into rats so i do like the steel body Thats why i like the tractor grill you have. I have a oliver grill hanging in the shop that is going to go on something soon. I enjoy being different so i look for unusual things for my projects (notice my avatar 1948 buick straight 8 with 4 strombergs) Anyway your t looks good ,great job on the floor too.

I just noticed something else, Originally you were going with friction shocks and then changed to a regular piston shock, Good move I am not impressed with friction shocks. Something you might think about for a future project ,especially with a 1/4 elliptical spring set up is late 40s early 50s buick lever shocks. You can still get rebuild kits for them and you can play with the weight of oil you put in to get the desired ride. The only problem being that they are ugly. On a rear set up like yours you can hide them inside the frame rails and it would be fine and open up the rear for fuel tank space or whatever. Just an Idea

Looks like a great project, I wish i had that kinda room in mine. How far is the body streched? I am running a original 27 steel body so i am limited on room and im 6ft 3in . Not a good combo. I am into rats so i do like the steel body Thats why i like the tractor grill you have. I have a oliver grill hanging in the shop that is going to go on something soon. I enjoy being different so i look for unusual things for my projects (notice my avatar 1948 buick straight 8 with 4 strombergs) Anyway your t looks good ,great job on the floor too.

Hi Todd. I like your avatar picture, very cool! Believe it or not, my body is not stretched at all. I did learn with the seat installation that my body is a little wider than most others at 47", but I am not sure about the length. If I get a chance I'll measure that and share some pics. I will say that when I sit in the seat I am very comfortable.

I didn't take any pictures, but did measure the length of my body. Through the center line, from the back of the body (not the bed) to the leading edge of the dashboard is 43" and to the firewall is 50." Inside the car, from the front edge of the seat to the inside firewall is 22." I hope that helps!

Hi Bill, I used the original seat locations on the 1999 Dodge Caravan middle row seat. You'll note the position is off set, one on the end and the other slightly off center. This works well because it allows me to bolt the seat through the floor and clear the frame.

Thanks...it's good to know that mounting will not be too convoluted.

Sometime if you get a chance, and it's not too much of an inconvienance, could you please measure the bottom cushion frame front to back.

So far, everything is lining up nicely for fitting my needs...I even have a line on a grey leather 1999 Mopar seat just a few miles away. The big thing is going to be finding a way to support the back cushion

Thanks...it's good to know that mounting will not be too convoluted.

Sometime if you get a chance, and it's not too much of an inconvienance, could you please measure the bottom cushion frame front to back.

So far, everything is lining up nicely for fitting my needs...I even have a line on a grey leather 1999 Mopar seat just a few miles away. The big thing is going to be finding a way to support the back cushion

Hi Bill, I measured my seat as requested and it was 20" underneath the bottom cushion in the center from front to back. I hope that helps!!! :)

Hi Bill, I measured my seat as requested and it was 20" underneath the bottom cushion in the center from front to back. I hope that helps!!! :)

That is just what I need. Thanks!

It has been a long winter and with minimal heat in the shop I didn't get much done. The weather looks pretty good this week, however, so it is time to get going again! I just ordered a new tunnel ram and dual quad set up. I'll get some more pics posted as I get the engine painted and ready for final install. Bring on the spring!

Well, progress is always slower than you'd like, but you keep reminding yourself that you really are on no one else's timeline. I'd like to be ready by the 4th of July for our local small town festival, but if not we'll make it next year (Good Lord willing!).
I have the car essentially finished from the engine forward. Doing some body work so I cover the car in plastic to keep dust down, but tonight I pulled the plastic back so I could show off the finished farmall tractor nose:
Grill Finished.jpg

Yep, painting the car Hunt Club Green...not everyone's taste but I like it. Next I have a few pics of the dash and shifter mocked up. Not sure what is happening with my camera...it is taking weird looking pics:
Dash 2.jpg
Dash 1.jpg

You might want to check to see how easy (or hard) it is to get into your bucket with the bottom of the dash as low as it looks to be. I know I have a tough time getting my size 13s between the dash and firewall. You'll also have a steering column to contend with. Just a suggestion.....

What kind of shock set up is that in the front? Do you have any more pictures of it and an explanation of how you have it mounted? I have been tossing around ideas for my car because I am limited in space in the front. I'm not sure what kind of shock set up I want to do on the front but your idea looks clean and simple. Are they friction shocks?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back