Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

AmericanGraffiti's Project Diary

What kind of shock set up is that in the front? Do you have any more pictures of it and an explanation of how you have it mounted? I have been tossing around ideas for my car because I am limited in space in the front. I'm not sure what kind of shock set up I want to do on the front but your idea looks clean and simple. Are they friction shocks?

Here is a clean and simple set up for friction shocks. It has worked quite well for me.

Jim

I mounted my friction shocks with a through bolt and a locking nut. In close to 20K miles they have not changed settings. No doubt hydraulic shocks are somewhat better but my car rides quite well as many guys can attest and they all like the cleaner appearance.

Jim

I really wanted to use the friction shocks on mine, but all the negative comments I read about them steered me toward the hydraulics. But the whole package has to work together. If you have poor design, some will blame it on the friction shock.

Just my opinion,for what it's worth, before I'd go with friction shocks I'd try to do something with
Houdaille Shocks or the lever shocks used on MGs and other British cars.

What kind of shock set up is that in the front? Do you have any more pictures of it and an explanation of how you have it mounted? I have been tossing around ideas for my car because I am limited in space in the front. I'm not sure what kind of shock set up I want to do on the front but your idea looks clean and simple. Are they friction shocks?

Yes, this is a friction shock set up. I'll post more pictures as I develop it further. While I agree with many of the comments here about hydraulic vs. friction, I admit that the aesthetic simplicity of the friction shock design outweighed my desire for a better ride. I admit that the jury is still out in this space and I may well change this down the road. I bought the standard friction shock kit from Ron Pope (a sponsor for this forum) and modified one of the mounts to fit my front spring perch so that I could use two arms with one shock. I hope that helps you as you design your front end. I do like EX JUNK's design as well and it may work better than my attempt :)

Here is a clean and simple set up for friction shocks. It has worked quite well for me.

Jim

Jim, I actually welding bolts on the front of my frame for this purpose when I built the frame. Well they are running through the side of the frame rail and welded to the inside, as I'm sure you did with yours as well. I didn't know if I was going to go with friction or hydraulic shocks so I put them in there in case I went with friction. Did you just put a piece of rubber between the arm and the frame? You can PM if you want. Sorry for hijacking the thread AmericanGraffiti! I still would like to see pictures of yours when you get a chance. I think that is actually a cool looking design how you have them coming off the front perch.

Jim, I actually welding bolts on the front of my frame for this purpose when I built the frame. Well they are running through the side of the frame rail and welded to the inside, as I'm sure you did with yours as well. I didn't know if I was going to go with friction or hydraulic shocks so I put them in there in case I went with friction. Did you just put a piece of rubber between the arm and the frame? You can PM if you want. Sorry for hijacking the thread AmericanGraffiti! I still would like to see pictures of yours when you get a chance. I think that is actually a cool looking design how you have them coming off the front perch.

Chase, in my post I stated that I mounted my shocks with a "through bolt and a locking nut". Many guys either thread the mounting hole or weld a nut on the inside as you have suggested and this is why they have problems keeping them adjusted. The reason being is that in the movement of the shocks will tighten one side and loosen the other side. By using a "through bolt with a locking nut" both the bolt and nut can turn freely as a unit thereby keeping the tension setting that you made. As for what I used between the arm and the frame I tried rubber but did not really like that. I instead made circular pieces out of clutch material that I mounted between the arm and frame and between the arm and a large fender washer on the outside.

Jim

I have seen a real strong spring (I think from an early Ford drum adjustment screw) used with some success as far as less adjusting.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back