Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Well, I got a USPS confirmation and tracking number, so I can confirm my gift is on it's way and post the pics. I've never met this person and really can't remember any interaction on the HAMB. I'm guessing he saw my posts on a T Bucket thread I frequent. About 2 weeks ago, I get a PM with the heading, "Parts". He explained that he wanted to know what I was saving for and thought he may have some stuff I could use. He had ONE condition. He wanted to remain anonymous.

I told him I was going to use the Speedway kit, which has brakes, spindles and king pins. A short time later, he said this was what he was sending. A set of gennie spindles and king pins.

full

He mentioned that I would have to cut and grind the arms off, which will give me something to do on a day off. Then he told me, he was going to install the bushings and ream them. He sent me the pics.

full

full

full

They should be here Monday. These will save me some money to use for moving my chassis to the roller stage. Which brings to me, this......

The Hot Rodding community is one of THE best I have EVER been apart of and I am always amazed and humbled at being a VERY small part of it.

Last edited:
Who ever he is, you have my respect, Sir.

A true gesture of the 'old school' hot rodding fraternity.

It's made me check my storage unit, next time I'm there. I intend to gather the stuff that's been sitting and see if anyone can use them. I intend to pass this act of kindness along.

On a side note, being that my old T Bucket was 'glass, I tried to have something Henry Ford on it. I ended up installing a step plate from a Model A, under the front lip of the seat. Now, I'll have these spindles on this car and Old Henry will hopefully give me another pass.;)

Okay, they arrived today and were waiting for me when I got home from work. Minutes later...... test fitting! PERFECT! Got a brew and just stared at them for a while.:) I'll probably cut and grind the arm bits this weekend.I I am truly humbled.

full

full

full

The tale of the ill fitting lock pins

As ashamed as I was, I shared this with Ron, so I'll share it with you guys too. When my spindles, king pins and hardware arrived, I was very pleased and immediately did a test fitting. I installed the spindles and king pins and was pleased. I removed them and then tried out the lock pins for the king pins. The bolt went all the way through!? How can this be? They're supposed to fit tight after you tighten the nut.

So, I wrote the gentleman to say thanks and tell him about the locking pin situation. I also called Ron and asked him to send me a set. During this time, the person who sent me my stuff, responded that I should tell him what how it could be. I wrote what I did and just after I sent the message, I realized that the lock pins have to be installed WITH THE KING PINS INSTALLED! So, for the rest of the week, my sign will be "IDIOT" and I'll wear it proudly!

Reactions: RPM
So today's project was to cut the remaining arms off my spindles and round them out. Didn't take long.

full

full

Ha, ha, ha. Its good that we can laugh at ourselves, and share. If I had 2 bits for every time that I done stuff like that, I would have quite a few extra bucks.

Burned the midnight oil and I put a sanding disc to the spindles and got 'em as smooth and round as Marilyn's butt.;)

I just joined here and I have read both this thread and the mis behavin thread. Fred you are an inspiration and i cannot wait to include you fellas in my build that im starting after the 1st of the year!

Welcome, Rambeaux67! Why not carry this over to the "Introductions" section, and you'll get a lot of welcomes!

I didnt make it that far haha! I wanted to see pics of freds builds so I made an account monday, read through both threads, and gave my kudos today. I will go post in there though and say hello!

Can't really tell in the pics, but they turned out great!

full

full

Reactions: RPM
You're making good progress, Fred. Won't be long . . . :)

PS - Did you get the RPV's?

YES! I answered in the brake thread!

Yesterday, I decided to replace the bolts I was using as perch pins in my axle mock up. While doing so, I remembered what a PITA it was to grip the top of the flat top perches. So, I bought a pair of sleeves for the axle and used Grade 8 bolts and nylocks. Worked out great.

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back