Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bleeding problems

Do you happen to have drum brakes are they adjusted up till they drag .I have seen people bleed brakes till they are blue in the face when drums where out of adjustment. When out of adjustment you will never get good pedal.

Putz,

Yes, the brakes are adjusted. I do get a good solid pedal but only after pumping the pedal once. I'm assuming there is still air somewhere but I've bled the m/c and brake cylnders to tears.

I hate to say this but if you take it to a shop with a pressure bleeder they hook it to your master and force fluid through. When I worked at the dealer When we had a problem bleeding. We used it to get that last little bubble out. Maybe something worth trying.

You can take a garden sprayer and a flat plate and do it your self.First take a 1/4" plate the size of the top of your master cyl and drill and tap a 1/4" pipe thread in it and screw a 1/4x1/4 barb fitting into it.Cut the hose on the garden sprayer off at the end and push it onto the barb fitting.Fill the sprayer with brake fluid attach the plate to the master then preassure up the sprayer.Done deal one man bleeder that gets ALL the bubbles.Forgot the hole for the barb needs to be ofset over the front res. or the rear res.That way when you finish the rears you can flip the plate around and do the fronts.Oh yea as Al said go to Wal-Marts and get a sprayer one with a preasure gage works best or you could drill and tap for one.

Rick said:
You can take a garden sprayer and a flat plate and do it your self.First take a 1/4" plate the size of the top of your master cyl and drill and tap a 1/4" pipe thread in it and screw a 1/4x1/4 barb fitting into it.Cut the hose on the garden sprayer off at the end and push it onto the barb fitting.Fill the sprayer with brake fluid attach the plate to the master then preassure up the sprayer.Done deal one man bleeder that gets ALL the bubbles.

Dang Rick... that is some serious high quality redneck engineering! Only thing missing was... "Then ya go down to WalMart and get yourself a garden sprayer..." I'm willing to bet that thing works great! :thumbsup:

LumenAl said:
Dang Rick... that is some serious high quality redneck engineering! Only thing missing was... "Then ya go down to WalMart and get yourself a garden sprayer..." I'm willing to bet that thing works great! :thumbsup:
Well i cant take the blame for this one i saw it some where.One thing the hole has to be over either the front or rear sections then when you do the rears just flip it around and do the fronts.

Well, actually that's where I started. Built the bleeder using the sprayer but, as things often go for us novices, when I started pumping the sprayer it started shooting brake fluid out the side of the m/c and I ended up with a flood of brake fluid under the car. Luckily I planed for the worst and taped a plastic bag around the m/c and saved the underside. :) Not sure what happened but I may not have had the cap on tight enough (?). Here is a link to a description of how to make the sprayer/pressure pump. bleeder Several people (not local) I know have been successful with it.

After that fiasco I went back to the old standby and had my wife sit in the bucket and pump the pedal. We did sneak out for a 2-mile drive anyway afterwards and I'm hoping another bleed attempt today might work. Just thought there was some sort of technique that would help.

Thats pretty much what i was talking about.Not the same artical but just go to show Good Old Billy Bob Enginering at Work everywhere

Thanks track! We've been bleeding John Jr.s brakes for a yr and still need 2 pumps. I thought I was the only one and have been worried that I'm an idiot. :neutral: If someone has an answer I would like to hear it:D

jmr122848,

Glad to hear I'm not alone! THat's the way this car was when I bought it. After a new m/c and brake cylinders I thought the problem would go away. Especially interesting knowing I am using the single honeypot. :eek:
Plan is to try to squeeze in a dual m/c later this year...not much room so I need to get some measurements of the newer m/c.

Ok all this fabricatin sounds more like an episode of the Red Green show.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back