Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cold Weather Warm Up

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I got a new truck this past year. After tiring of watching the constant gas mileage display, I changed it to the auto trans temp reading. Well it has been in the 20's F here in the mornings and I got out before the temps warmed up.
I noticed the trans temp at 23*F when I started the truck. I am pretty good about babying my engines, but seeing that in writing made an impression on me. I know you cold weather guys are probably laughing at our mild temps and the issue, but I have a new respect for warming up the outside vehicles. I could see that trans fluid trying to flow through those valves and passages while that cold. My tractor has a hydro trans and the manual said let it warm up before doing any work. It will definitely get the full 5 minutes now.

Depending on engine type and lifter design, it can take three times that long to get oil flowing at all the rockers. And one of the worst things you can do to a valve spring is to try cycling it before it has warm oil flowing over it. Some spring materials are more forgiving than others, but they all want warm oil.

On my drive to work, each night, I have to drive down a rather steep hill, within about 6 blocks of the house. The hill is a pain, because the speed limit is 25 MPH, which means you ride the brakes all the way down the hill, in warm weather. But in this winter weather, what with all the lubricants being chilled, the truck coasts down the hill, right at the limit. It will show you just how thick lubricants can get in cold weather.

The temperature here is been crazy for a few days. Two days ago an electric breaker flipped and no basement lights, the next day I heard my compressor try to start when I reset the breaker and it went back off, then I finally realized the oil in the compressor is to thick to run. Might have to change oil in the compressor.

The temperature here is been crazy for a few days. Two days ago an electric breaker flipped and no basement lights, the next day I heard my compressor try to start when I reset the breaker and it went back off, then I finally realized the oil in the compressor is to thick to run. Might have to change oil in the compressor.

I have heard that compressor oil is a different animal from engine oil. I though why not run a premium multi weight, even syn. I have read, not verified, to stay with the straight stuff. I would just lay an incandescent drop light by it.

I have heard that compressor oil is a different animal from engine oil. I though why not run a premium multi weight, even syn. I have read, not verified, to stay with the straight stuff. I would just lay an incandescent drop light by it.
What he said! Mike is right, that oil is like thick honey trying to push thru those small openings everywhere. If you look at your gauge, you'll notice you have higher oil pressure....

Try 32 below going out to warm up my truck now.

We are at 20* F and that may be the high. I cannot imagine the negative numbers some of you endure. I'll bet there is a bag full of tricks to keep things ticking in those temps. I do hang a drop light by my water line in the garage.

I got a new truck this past year. After tiring of watching the constant gas mileage display, I changed it to the auto trans temp reading. Well it has been in the 20's F here in the mornings and I got out before the temps warmed up.
I noticed the trans temp at 23*F when I started the truck. I am pretty good about babying my engines, but seeing that in writing made an impression on me. I know you cold weather guys are probably laughing at our mild temps and the issue, but I have a new respect for warming up the outside vehicles. I could see that trans fluid trying to flow through those valves and passages while that cold. My tractor has a hydro trans and the manual said let it warm up before doing any work. It will definitely get the full 5 minutes now.
Get yourself a lower radiator hose heater, all you need is about 250 to 5oo watts, just plug it in at night. Warms the coolant and motor, the residual heat under the hood also helps the battery crank the motor faster. Also helps the transmission temps also, since you have a cooler inside your radiator.
Since its a new truck, and if your squemish about cutting the radiator hose, buy one and have a garage install it. I have them on all my vehicles, including my T....
I plug all the heaters in at about 7 degrees C.

Last edited:
I like it. The only caveat is, we get this about 10 days total out of a year and I have some inside vehicles, but you know hot rodders, it is hard to not try something new. I am going to do a search.

Well, only need it 8 days a year, only use it 8 days and you don't have to plug it in unless you want to. If its between 10C-7C, I plug all my vehicles in, helps with wear when the motor is cold, helps keep the oil thinner for startups.....The motor is already prewarmed, no sitting in the driveway idling. My diesel truck, I have a tank type block heater, I turn on my defroster, during a snow, my hood and front window are clear....

The tank style circulates the coolant thru the radiator and hoses....makes for a toasty warm startup. I love the instant heat....

Several years ago my company sent me to West Virginia in December. While I was there the temps dropped to -7. That may be warm to some of you cold weather guys, but for a country boy raised in the deep south, that's damn cold! The only coat I had with me was a light waist length jacket, too. The wind was always whistling down the valley that the hydro plant was in about 15-20 MPH. That puts the wind chill at about -28. Way, way too cold for me.

The thing that struck me was that the Ford rental car I had refused to move until I let the trans warm up. I mean put it in gear and nothing happened. Yep, that's COLD!

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back