Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Do you really use the portal?

What are your thoughts about removing the portal?

• You mean we have a portal??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike

I'm considering a change for the site, but I want to run it past everyone before making an unpopular decision.

I am aware some of you use the forum page, because you like the Active Content link. If I were to insert that link on the forum index page, how upset would you be if the portal disappeared?

I have done some background tweaking on the forum index page, to really help the site's search engine rankings. But the search engines end up landing on the portal page and the content of that page is minimal and extremely hard to optimize, since it is dynamic. There really isn't any useful information on that page that cannot be found on the forum index page, so I am wondering what use some of you are actually getting out of it. If enough of you want to keep it, then it will remain. But if you only want to keep it because of that Active Content link, I can fix you right up and dump that portal page into the bin.

So take a few seconds to cast your vote. And if you are voting to keep the portal, give me an idea of why you want to keep it. If you use a single feature, I may be able to insert that feature on the index page.

I use the portal, as well as the latest topics link, to see what's new. I don't like wading through the forum to find subjects I find interesting. I wish latest topics topics were automatically added to the portal itself and not in a side bar.

I either use the "View New Content" option on the upper right or dig my way through the site (searching and such).
But that's just me.....

I use the portal, as well as the latest topics link, to see what's new. I don't like wading through the forum to find subjects I find interesting. I wish latest topics topics were automatically added to the portal itself and not in a side bar.
OK, so it sounds as if you're relying on the Latest Discussions module on the portal page. The same information is already available on the forum index page in the Recently Added Topics module. So it comes down to a non-issue wash.

Frankly, I'm familiar with how you go elsewhere to talk trash about this site, to talk trash about the members of this site and to talk trash about myself. As a result, I'm not too concerned about what you like or dislike.

99% of the time I use the "View New Content" button, I don't remember what I do the other 1%. Getting old isn't for sissies LOL.

Hi Mike
I use the new content button first then always go to the portal. It seems easier to get the latest posts and answers from the portal. I have no problems with what you want to do as its always worked out so far.
Just a quick observation: the library does NOT seem to get much attention. If I posted a tech thing; normally I always got questions and comments. But with the library NOTHING. I think people do not visit it. I am reluctant to say the old Tech articles had a much better response. Its not about me its about the people reading the latest posts and getting new ideas. Just that the library dont seem to get any attention from anyone.
G

I use the forums then click on new content. I check in about every hour and a half. I don't want to miss anything.

My kinda Guy and a true Bucketeer.
I would if I did nt have to work
G

I use the forums then click on new content. I check in about every hour and a half. I don't want to miss anything.
Same here, but I go to the portal and click current topics. Shows me everything in the past 24 hrs. If I go to new content it goes back to June 25 or something and I get too much info.

My $00.02 worth, John

Same for Me, go to forums then View New content.

The portal page is the only page I use. It is the easiest way to keep up on the latest postings as far as I am concerned. But I'm computer illiterate so don't pay me any mind.

Jim

I go dirrectly from the portal page to "new since last visit". Once in a wile I do look at the topics on the portal page, only because you don't have to open anything to read a few lines to see if it's interesting enough to read more of the subject.

Russ

The Portal comes up each time I click on the URL for the site. I've even learned to click the forums button to get to the forums instead of the back button. Duh.

I like the Portal as I like the pictures there and new posts.

I didn't vote as I'll go alonewith the consensus here.

I always go directly to "View New Content"

I use New content mostly, then the Portal. But, I can work with whatever. :thumb:

mike whether I open on the form page or portal page I usually go to view new content however I think what ever changes you make i'm sure we will all adapt at least we have so far plus I don't think any one would fire you

For those that like being able to preview posts without actually opening them, you can do that from the forum view. Click on the attachment to take a look -

preview.png

If you hover your mouse in the area indicated by the lower arrow, you'll see a small preview icon. Click on it and a small preview will open via AJAX. You can scan the preview and move on if it doesn't interest you.

No, you won't see all the icons indicated in the image, some of them are forum staff member tools.

I truly believe I can give you all the functionality of the portal, without actually using the portal.

If you hover your mouse in the area indicated by the lower arrow, you'll see a small preview icon. Click on it and a small preview will open via AJAX. You can scan the preview and move on if it doesn't interest you.

Sweet! Didn't know that. Thanks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back