Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front shock mounts

Mike,

I figured you knew that. It's the new to designing and building a first time car that I was talking to. Nothing wrong with one being new and just not knowing but I hate for someone to build a part only to find out what a cut off wheel is for. I hope no one here gets offended from things I suggest or call out as I am not even close to being an expert at anything. My only true education in this car building world is getting a lot of experience at doing things twice at times. As an old friend use to tell me, "Don't do it for experience as I have enough for both of us. Do it for cash!" Take care.

George

Ok tell me what y'all think. It needs to be welded & then chromed.I designed it after Resinator's lower mount but with a little change .
image.jpg image.jpg

I recon that will work......the tie rod will go above the front tube I guess & in front of the shock/headlight mount?......

Mike

George .yes it all gets welded together . It will be small welds around the hairpin to the brace on both sides on both braces. And the small brace that the shock gets bolted to will be welded around the hairpin on the inside & out side gets welded to the tall brace.

George .yes it all gets welded together . It will be small welds around the hairpin to the brace on both sides on both braces. And the small brace that the shock gets bolted to will be welded around the hairpin on the inside & out side gets welded to the tall brace.

That's pretty much what I thought. Just roll the shock into position and tack it up. Just one point I would make. As the axle swings in an upward arc the shock bolts will be in a bind as they can't take misalignment. Either put a swivel or spherical type bearing in the upper eye or you can redesign either the upper or lower shock mounting bracket and turn one of the eyes 90 degrees to the drive line. I realize the eyes are rubber but I doubt it will take much defection in that axis as shown in the picture. If it doesn't have the ability to rotate or take misalignment freely then it could induce extra loading thought the mounting brackets causing extra loading on the lower hairpin tube and that would be unacceptable in my opinion. A rigid intersection joint such as your lower bracket welded to the small diameter tube would become a stress point. Given as the front end will be constantly cycling setups the possibility of pounding that corner joint and could eventual bent or just shear the tube. Just an observation and I could be wrong as you have it in your hands. Stay Safe.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back