Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I've got a problem

Hank

I'm going to asked a sorta related question here. Somehow my shop has contracted Black Widow Spiders. My shop is small and absolutely full to the gills with tools, equipment, parts, supplies, junk, and all the other stuff that makes me happy................except for the spiders. I'm not particularly scared of them except they are the bad kind. I've got some spray cans of bomb that I'm going to try as soon as the weather gets a little better and I get take the car outside for a few hours and set off the bombs. I'm not sure this will be effective enough. Anybody got any ideas on how to deal with them short of just calling an exterminator?

Thanks

Hank

about 4 yrs ago i had a run of spiders in the shop. i headed to wallymart and bought 12 fuzees or sulfur flaires and lit them all. shut the door and the next day no bugs at all

Hank said:
... Somehow my shop has contracted Black Widow Spiders...

Thanks

Hank

According to the University of Kentucky:

Indoor infestations of brown recluse and black widow also warrant treatment with insecticides. Insecticides should be applied into areas where spiders are living, making an attempt to contact as many spiders and webs as possible with the spray. Spot treatment with synthetic pyrethroids such as cyfluthrin, sypermethrin, or lambda-cyhalothrin are especially effective. Most household insecticides with spiders listed on the label will also kill spiders provided the spider is treated directly. In inaccessible or cluttered areas such as attics and storage sheds, total-release foggers or aerosols containing synergized pyrethrin or synergized pyrethroids (e.g. resmethrin, sumithrin, cyfluthrin) will have a better chance of contacting spiders that are hidden.

BTW, be careful if you put too many of those canned bug bombs off in there. There was a story a few years ago where a lady had a flea infestation problem and used something like 8 bombs in her house at one time. The pilot light from the water heater ignited them and blew the house completely down! :eek::eek: Make sure you have all pilot lights and ignition sources shut off completely. One or two bombs aren't bad, but if you use more than that it could cause a problem.

For the spiders you have, I wouldn't mess around. I'd call Orkin or someone like that and have them get rid of them once and for all. The bites from those critters can be nasty.

Don

Great advice guys. I really appreciate the help. I guess I'd better get busy with the insecticide as well as the bomb. If all that doesn't get'em I'll call the exterminator...............I was just trying to avoid that because most of those guys want to sign you to some kind of long term contract.

Thanks again,

Hank

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back