Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jarrett's 27 roadster

How big was the ridge when you took the pistons out ?
If its not to bad you can get away with just clean up the pistons - a re-ring, can even go a few thow over on the rings if it measures out, new cam and lifters.
You do have to change the cam and lifters so new push rods and rockers are a must.
I know I am probably just saying everything you already know but just for those following along that may be tearing down there first engine I thought I would mention it.

If its not to bad you can get away with just clean up the pistons - a re-ring, can even go a few thow over on the rings if it measures out, new cam and lifters.
You do have to change the cam and lifters so new push rods and rockers are a must.
I know I am probably just saying everything you already know but just for those following along that may be tearing down there first engine I thought I would mention it.
Hjardfal
Hardly any ring Grove. She is a great candidate for a rering. All new bearings, 1.6 rockers, good lunati 212° intake duration cam to match the 9.4:1 CR and a good head rework and he be up and running

Good to hear.
If you want to bump the compression just a bit you can always go with a good head gasket that is a few thow smaller.
Stock is around .04 and I think Cometic makes one around .03 or .026.
I got some .02 but they were pricey.

I run Rotella 10W 30W in the bucket cause it is an older motor that has been rebuilt but the coupe is a 2005 motor so it get the newer oil.....

Not to get sidetracked, but from what I've read in the last year or so, the newer Rotella has way less zddp or zinc in it then it used to. We've switched to Lucas "Hot Rod" oil which is formulated with the larger doses of zinc and is made for older engines with flat tappet cams. You may be able to find it locally, we just buy it from summit. Its more expensive than just cheap 10-30-, but I'm not going to play "zinc-roulette" with my hot rods!

I have started running rotella 10w-40. It has more zinc
It’s less expensive too, especially if you have numerous older vehicles to maintain. I get it at the farm supply store. I’ve been doing that for years, but they have diluted it too. I still use it on my older stuff but I add Lucas oil stabilizer to it. It reminds me of the old STP, honey like. Many reccomend synthetic and I’ve tried it, but when I run it in engines designed for 10-40 I hear noise that I don’t hear with traditional oil. Noise means vibration, and in my mind it’s not good. I’m sure there are many opinions on that, but in my old trucks and bikes that have non rollerized components, that’s how I roll. I had a series of cam failures before I realized what they done with the oil, none since. I’ve also read that the new oil doesn’t protect cast iron, like cylinders, etc... I think there is a agenda to eliminate the good old stuff, but since there are those sensitive to government and political issues, I’ll leave it there.

Me too! Never had the money to afford beer, smokes or worse. Car got 75% of money and girlfriend got 25%. Married her and the percentages reversed. Still married 48 years later and percentages are CREEPING back the other way again. :sneaky:

Hmmm.....maybe shouldn't let Jarrett know what the future may hold for a hotrodder?
hope they dont use me for my car lol

Easy Cooter, Tell me you never sneaked a peek at a car magazine in class.:eek: He is just doing it high tech. :sneaky:

Hmmmmm, what's that old saying about the apple not falling far from the tree?:D
every time i have the chance to look car parts up and snoop ina book ill take it.

The best way to learn is to do... with guidance for an overview and alone for experience. Even failure teaches us.
More truer words have not been spoken.
What did Edison say . I think it went .. I invented 196 ways on how not to make a light bulb and one that worked.
My uncle said trial end error .. fit and refit until its right.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back