Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jarrett's 27 roadster

305 has same 3.48" stroke as 350. Smaller bore
Yep, back when everyone overheated 305’s and threw them out, I scavenged the cranks out of them. They can be made to be quite lethal. They used to race them on the round tracks a few years back.

Yep, back when everyone overheated 305’s and threw them out, I scavenged the cranks out of them. They can be made to be quite lethal. They used to race them on the round tracks a few years back.
The cranks have the same stroke, but do not directly interchange. The weights and balance are nowhere near the same. They need to be rebalanced and will take some work to get all to work.

The cranks have the same stroke, but do not directly interchange. The weights and balance are nowhere near the same. They need to be rebalanced and will take some work to get all to work.
That's right!!!

Reactions: RPM
Right, the 305 has lighter Pistons and rods, so a balance is required. Actually anytime a piston and or rod change is done it’s wise to have the rotating assembly balanced. Vibration is not our friend. I bought a flywheel at a swap meet that was supposed to be for a 400 sbc... I took a chance, but being suspicious, I bolted it on and started the car before installing the transmission. I’m glad because it liked to shake the car off of the rack, lol... off to see Bob at performance research, he fixed me up! It was 90 grams off.

Right, the 305 has lighter Pistons and rods, so a balance is required. Actually anytime a piston and or rod change is done it’s wise to have the rotating assembly balanced. Vibration is not our friend. I bought a flywheel at a swap meet that was supposed to be for a 400 sbc... I took a chance, but being suspicious, I bolted it on and started the car before installing the transmission. I’m glad because it liked to shake the car off of the rack, lol... off to see Bob at performance research, he fixed me up! It was 90 grams off.
I believe I read that 1 grm or maybe 1oz heavy spot on outside of a flywheel at 6,000 rpm was = to 300lbs. I believe gene berg said that.

Yes .. you do have to watch out for balance.
Some engines are balanced internally like most small block Chevy's. (on the crank) but some are balanced externally on the flywheel.
283's and 327's have steel cranks and are very well balanced from factory thus highly sought after, and the rotating assembly is balanced, this is why when you take one apart you label everything and put it all back exactly in the same location.

What about a $ 10,000 bill ??? :whistling:

Sorry, you did bring it up, my wise old grandpa would say "when in doubt, it's better to keep your trap shut!"

Last edited:
LOL.. ya.. well I think we find that the Canadian bills get heavier when the Americans stop producing so much oil and the Canadian tar sands become viable again.

Outstanding Ron! Class A move. Kudos to that young man for keeping the hot rod genre alive!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back