Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

A taste of things to come... Wiring is going to be fun. It's an EZ Wiring Kit. I plan on running the wires through the frame for the most part. I read a good way to do this is to drill your two holes and put a vacuum on one hole and a string in the other and it will suck the string through. Going to try that out, hopefully it works. Also trying to figure out the best spot to run the bulk head through the firewall. I'm leaning more toward the middle behind the dash so it's not seen inside the body. I was also thinking about running it through the floor so you don't see any wiring on the firewall outside the car but that would get in the way of the passenger's feet. I'm using a weatherpack bulkhead connector so that I can take the body off without having do anything with the wiring. If anyone has any tips or opinions, chime in. This is my first time wiring an entire car. I believe I have all the tools an supplies I need so hopefully it goes pretty quickly.

C52D0D9C-E9BE-49B3-BE7F-0164B952DD86.jpg

You've come to the right place, grasshopper. I've wired all my cars from scratch. To keep both the firewall and the interior clean, I made a panel that hides all the wires and hoses:
zrQitff0DaKEV2kbZmHcyzSveoOPU4PSU2kh9gRsr_ahgUASVeoKjGrTNha3aZqoKnUQiSWHUL-6LKGRc2RI_VlC0Kz60OLxdY0LPe8qNhEzLqV9WeBRMh0BucizaxoXvYI5JlQz4KlCuw9SlaoGAavqNwdJTEDnVLO421a_whE9ITHEyg00vSXGHYHcBYGslFtrlYBiKlOh9AoUFhWXWT9_63QDk87amIYZIpaeBbaCmHRgqwmL5EebjkTIDNaKWGel43r2-D9wYRxZ_-cLPkaHuQY10f24Yg8pgPrvFSum968zwNyvAGp13V_XrZeTllli_Kb3XchfH6_QcTXkQev0S2mhc3nADoK9VRT8x5BaHnpg5WRETu3ecy_9fENIMG0cqBCtymE5f4DBAMgZHK4GEUgRfGWWHARWdBZ42VvlswM_oBngQrsGA98mZkEe2F6O95nTCiKtJgh09WiA9S8Iex-8SROAoS-I9qwnXwSx_pbPiWOSCGchCW752ah1F7B-VbRlqwhUELqYFd-LOLxY7BGvg06fwL_ryO0pGMJIb1WpMyaAblpPzUTlwWDUmceWdgp1vhRsTZ0DMJyB2InHzBgbcz2hKZttfqjct-kgvmj-uxLz8qwUxHzg-mZB5VC4bQLhDm7zdPXScrC7VXdPzngalc1gw-c6ANxHrg=w738-h554-no

...the wires and hoses come under the tranny tunnel and go up to the dash. A couple pieces of 1/2 MDF with Velcro secure the panel. I mounted the throttle pedal to the panel and run the cable over a pulley down to under the tunnel. Folks go crazy trying to find where the throttle cable goes. Check my blog at Big redo of the old bucket for more info. And ask me anything.

This was the start of how i did mine. I built a flip down panel that has all the hardware mounted to it for easy access. When flipped up it hides all the wiring and hardware and gives the underside of the dash a clean look. I also wrapped every wire bundle with cloth harness tape to give any exposed wires that finished factory look. The fuse blocks have leds that light up for the circuits that have a bad fuse for quick identification. I use power distribution blocks for easy expansion of future circuits. I also use common grounding studs to bring all grounds to the same potential to avoid ground loop issues. the list goes on...
20161002_161644_zpsfqkdous2.jpg
20161002_161644_zpsfqkdous2.jpg.html

Very nice! A common ground point makes life so much easier.
I use the fuses that light up when they blow. Where did you get your fuse blocks?

Those are both really good ideas. I'm hoping since I have 3/4 plywood glued to my firewall I can just mount the fuse panel at the very top of the firewall, out of view. If that doesn't work out then I may try some kind of fold down panel like that. Potvin guy I just went through your whole thread, you have so much wiring. That's crazy! But it's an awesome car. I like all of the unique touches you have added to it. Really makes it one of a kind.

Me and crimp tools just never got along. I've had too many wires pull right out of a crimp. Now I solder and shrink wrap all connections. Peace of mind when you're on a lonely country road at night...priceless.
I agree that soldering is the best option most of the time. For crimp that will never come off try stripping back twice the amount you normally would. Then fold the bare wire over onto its self. insert in to a crimp connector so that the loop just sticks out and crimp it.

I agree that soldering is the best option most of the time. For crimp that will never come off try stripping back twice the amount you normally would. Then fold the bare wire over onto its self. insert in to a crimp connector so that the loop just sticks out and crimp it.
That works well. My complaint with crimps is the corosion issue. I prefer soldering. I do use crimps, but I use anti oxidant with them if they will be exposed to moisture. Unfortunately, the coating is like a lubricant and negates the friction of the crimp... the shrink wrap crimps are superior, imho.

Using a vacuum will work, pulled nylon string 100' to pull wiring for my garage. Worked like a charm. Will be watching your progress as I'll be doing my wiring soon. Take lots of pics.

I actually bought a weatherpack bulk head connector and wire crimpers from Del City. I think I actually learned about that site in one of your posts PotvinGuy! And I plan on using those pig tails all over the car. I got the hang of the wire crimpers pretty quickly. Last night I was able to complete the bulkhead connector. I cut all the wires that were to be routed outside, crimped them, and popped them into the connectors. Next I'll probably start wiring the dash. I'm going to use those pig tails everywhere I can so that it will be easy to remove everything in pieces.

9EC3EBAC-7BBA-4FA2-B630-75DA9424D15D.jpg

E1E083BE-6D33-4F34-A011-6C546BB90DB7.jpg

19363EB5-E67C-433C-9391-1B0140100021.jpg

A3802361-660B-4B02-8367-DEB23F562943.jpg

727015C7-82AE-486C-A268-E1E361F6F532.jpg

Looks like you have done a good job. Del City is one of my favorite suppliers. Keep the photos coming as you progress.

Outstanding wire job, cmcdanl. It will make life so much easier down the road. Be sure to document it and update as you change things.

I actually bought a weatherpack bulk head connector and wire crimpers from Del City.

Which crimpers did you get to do this. One of them is $36. The others are crazy expensive.

I got the $36 weatherpack crimpers and they worked perfectly. I actually bought them on amazon. They are only $20 there. I messed up the first one and realized my mistake and didn't have a problem with them after that. I tried to paste a link here but it's not working for some reason. If you go to Amazon and type GM Delphi Weatherpack Crimper Tool it should pop right up. They actually fold the tabs into the wire instead of just around the wire which I think makes a stronger hold.

Here's the link:

amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Weatherpack-Crimper-Tool

I see connectors up to 6 pins. Do they make bigger ones, like 8 or 10 pin?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back