Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My new Bucket Build

Got the body mounted to a stand with casters today. Most of the wood liner is fiberglassed in now. Dad is doing my interior wood just as he did his bucket so i know this is a tried and true tested method. Yes, it is major overkill but i want the body solid and rigid as metal and it is now. We are using "whitewood" 1x3's, 1x4's, and 1x6's from Lowes. He is cutting slices in the backside 1 inch apart from top to bottom that allows the boards to bend to the shape of the body real easy. There is very little added weight and it will also give my upholsterer all the room in the world to work his magic. The corners should be finished up next week. I will be going into teardown mode real soon. The frame will get getting powder coated, suspension off to the chrome plater and i will start bodywork and paint. Tons and tons of work ahead. I am hoping if luck is on my side to have it ready by the spring. I will keep more pics coming as i can.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

HEY I thought this was going to be a slow build.Great progress but I have seen quite a few take years.

There are some guys that don't feel that it is necessary to reinforce the body but I'm not one of them. What you are doing looks to be very good. I reinforced mine in a different way. We built a thicker, stronger body for one thing then reinforced it with steel then applied an expanding foam that we sanded to the thickness that we wanted then laid several layers of glass on top of that on the inside making it much like a boat construction. It made for a slightly heavier body but also a much stronger body.

Jim

LOL, I hear ya putz. I have had better luck than i thought putting everything together. I set myself a deadline of next Spring so i am doing all i can to hold to that deadline.

Ex JUNK........ Thanks, I have seen many methods via the web and they all look great & sure they did the job fine. This way takes a bit longer but to me it is well worth it in the end, I just want to make sure everything is rock solid.

Very good point Keeper!!!

Ron

Body does look rock solid. Your build is coming right along. Gives me encouragement to get out in the garage and get some more of my project done.

Body does look rock solid. Your build is coming right along. Gives me encouragement to get out in the garage and get some more of my project done.

Thanks, It has been moving along better than i had planned. I am hoping to get the body painted before it turns cold so i can start assembly over the winter months. I am really enjoying the stage i am at now. The hard stuff is done and now it is on to cleaning, stripping and painting all the smaller pieces. All my chrome stuff came in today so i will have some more motivation to keep it going.

Wow.. I have been Following this and this is what i want mine to turn out like.. Amazing.. i will be keeping a watch on this.. This is my Inspration..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back