Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New member of the "death wobble" club

Don't have to roll it, when done my way. Front to rear track wouldn't make a diffence, if it does, something else is wrong.

A car that runs well with toe-in will not just suddenly need toe-out to prevent wobble. A wobble that starts in one wheel is almost certainly a grabby brake. Make sure your shoes are retracting properly before changing a known good setup.

Sounds like you guys are concerned with getting the dimension just right, that would be a concern if that amount of toe in or out was specified somewhere and you knew it would fix things. The trick will be to find what each car likes, that takes trial and error. I agree a tape measure and a helper go a long way. Find the best location you can duplicate on the front and rear of the tire and simply adjust till you think you have the toe in or toe out you are trying for...then just drive the car, carry a couple wrenches, adjust and try again..maybe one rotation at a time (most tie rods have left and right threads so nothing needs to be removed, just loosen the jam nuts, rotate and retighten).
Also, we would have already checked the chassis dimensioning, all rod ends, bearings, binding and wheel balancing before we would be doing this testing. I think he may be able to skip that because he has not changed any bar lengths except for the tie rod itself.

What Jerry said.........KISS...........keep it simple simply.......This is not rocket science and close works....:thumbsup:

Mike

I agree with roadmonster. if it starts at the same wheel every time i would check with brake problem. Especially he said if he touches the brake it goes away. Has to be in that assembly somewhere.

It's fixed! After thinking about it last night I decided to try something slightly different. I know some folks have their favorite method for checking alignment but the string method works for me. This time I tied a string on each spindle, ran it around the back of the tire, then about 6 feet out in front and just touching both edges of the tire. Then anchored the strings so they were tight and across the center of the wheel. Wow! I had alot of toe-in! Next I started adjusting the tie rod (and moving the anchored strings accordingly) until the distance between the two strings right in front of the tire was equal to the distance between the strings 6 feet out. The reason I wanted to do this was to set a starting point as close to zero toe-in as I could before making minor toe-in adjustments and doing road tests. When I had what I thought was zero toe-in we hit the road - varying speed, bumps, curves and anything that might make it happen again - NO DEATH WOBBLE! I couldn't believe we hit it right the first time. Is it perfect? Maybe not but it sure must be close and it drives like it used to. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions...time to go driving again. :thumbsup:

Congrats! I've read how to do the string method and could never figure it out. Probably thinking about it too much. So, I found my method. These are fairly simple cars, yet there seems to be a million ways to work on them. I'm glad you found a way that works for you.

Happy motoring!

I aligned my the same way, works great and is very accurate IMHO. The mere fact that you are comparing a dimension 6 feet out in front of the tire will show 1/16" out and will easily be seen as an 1" or more on the measurement.

A little toe out works good................:thumbsup:

Mike

I've always had mine toed out by about 1/32" "under rolling load" using the "front to back" method by measuring the tire distance apart on the front and rear of each tire. Glad you got it fixed! Happy driving!

Isen't it great when a plan comes tigather. Congrats.

The 1/8 toe in. Is that 1/8 in on each tire or combined 1/8 in?
Total toe for both tires...... 1/8" each tire would be 1/4" total toe in

If both tires are straight at "o" and the distance between is 60" in front. When I make my adjustment and it is 59-7/8" That would be 1/8" toe in. Correct?

Picture.....

Attachments

• toe-in-vs-toe-out.jpg
    toe-in-vs-toe-out.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 49
If both tires are straight at "o" and the distance between is 60" in front. When I make my adjustment and it is 59-7/8" That would be 1/8" toe in. Correct?
In theory lol, measure the backs also just to be sure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back