Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Panhard bar diff mount

fletcherson

I am looking for a panhard bar bracket to fit my 59-64 GM front load differential, actually, I need the entire kit, but the bracket doesn't seem to be advertised. Does anyone know of any in production? Can Ron or anyone make one? I can do it, but if someone has a template ready to go, I have bigger fish to fry, lol...

Try ride tech... they have GM pan hard bars with brackets. I didn't see GM brackets sold separatly but, they must have them. I did as 2old2fast suggested......welded a tab on my axle tube.

It may well be worthwhile to check out some of the off road suppliers. Many of the off road houses have their own line of bracketry, so there is a wide variety to choose from.

I don't want to weld to the housing because it's chrome... I don't like the look of the clamp on brackets. I realize that the longer, the better, but if I used a pinion mount, sprint type, it would be in a nice position in relation to the frame and would allow a clean install. Thanks for your input!

We offer two different ones. One tab welds to frame and the other to the axle tube. We have both ford and chevy setup. We have a 16" and 18" rod without rod ends. We also can make you a custom length if need be.
Thanks for the reply! I looked at your site, and have interest in the front panhard bar kit that is chrome, and listed as "out of stock", do you expect to re stock, or are they sent out for chrome as ordered? If so, what's the turn around time? Also, will it work on a drop axle, spring over, tie rod behind setup? If not, what, if any suggestions can you make as far as mounting to the axle? It also has radius arms, not 4 bar, which obstructs access to the shock mounts that are outside of the radius arm, or I would attach there, and switch the shock mounts. Also, it's chrome, so I don't want to weld to it. I was also looking for door hinge and latch hardware, and didn't see them listed on the site. What am I missing? Thanks!

Why not just weld an appropriate backet to he axle tube ? Longer bar , less movement .
dave
The curse of chrome, lol! The darn thing has all chrome front and rear suspension components which look nice, but make mods difficult, and very expensive. I would not have chosen to build from scratch with chrome, but I don't want to dilute the look by mixing painted parts. Trying to keep a uniform flow to it... Used to be chrome was easy, cheap, and available. I remember exchanging crash bumpers for any car for $ 75.00..... Those were the days!

Forgot about the chrome ...I guess make a pattern , is there enough stud length on the housing to accet a bracket sandwiched in there ??
dave

Forgot about the chrome ...I guess make a pattern , is there enough stud length on the housing to accet a bracket sandwiched in there ??
dave
Yea, I think so, should not be too bad to make, I may get creative and try to make up a bracket that will fasten to the shock mount. They are very beefy, and would allow the longest panhard bar. I was hoping someone had a template or file saved and could just cut one out for me to save some effort. It's just not a very popular differential nowadays. I would prefer it to be a ford, but the cost of switching it out isn't really worth it to me. And I am trying to retain as much of the essence of the original build as possible, just modernize the controls, etc...It would be nice to just be able to order one thing that doesn't require customization, lol! Oh well, it makes me dust off the tools, and brain cells. Now, if the body were that easy to get moving. Seems like I get one or two decent production days, then I feel like I ran a marathon and got mugged at the finish line....sucks getting old......er! Lol

I here ya' on the work 1 day , rest for3 , what was on he car to center the rear before ??
dave
It just has the arched buggy spring that self centers, sort of, and what I call overload spring over shocks... Too much spring, for sure. Except for welding to the chrome, I have no real issue with installing a mill finish bar and painting it on the rear, it will not be very visible, especially if it mounts to the pinion, it's painted anyways(the carrier). The car was mainly drag raced, so it was never set up to actually drive, if you get my meaning. It went fast, and strait, and bounced the front end... I want to actually drive it, so pretty much have to rework all of the controls, and suspension, as well as the brakes. Then there is the matter of the spool and 4;56 gear that must go, oh yea, the 13:1 engine may need a detune as well.... I am a glutten for punishment, lol! Hey you don't get in the shape I'm in by being a wuss....I never learned the easy way of anything! Too late to start now.

It just has the arched buggy spring that self centers, sort of, and what I call overload spring over shocks... Too much spring, for sure. Except for welding to the chrome, I have no real issue with installing a mill finish bar and painting it on the rear, it will not be very visible, especially if it mounts to the pinion, it's painted anyways(the carrier). The car was mainly drag raced, so it was never set up to actually drive, if you get my meaning. It went fast, and strait, and bounced the front end... I want to actually drive it, so pretty much have to rework all of the controls, and suspension, as well as the brakes. Then there is the matter of the spool and 4;56 gear that must go, oh yea, the 13:1 engine may need a detune as well.... I am a glutten for punishment, lol! Hey you don't get in the shape I'm in by being a wuss....I never learned the easy way of anything! Too late to start now.

Watts linkage may suit you better than a panhard bar if you mount to the pinion/hog head bolts?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back