Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Panhard bar diff mount

Bill, The SPST momentary switch was found on eBay and is intended to use in motorcycle handlebars as a starter button, it looks like a stove bolt, very small, low profile, and SS. It is not intended for any significant amperage, it is designed pull a relay. I am using a SPST latching relay to toggle the hi/lo function. It's a VW design that was used on the Beatles, etc... It must be a latching relay. I could only find one that was rated for 20 amps that was within a reasonable price range, and found it at rock auto as a sunroof control relay. If I end up with a amp draw close to or exceeding that, I will just use it to trigger a higher rated relay.
As far as the tilt column issue you described, I can't visualize that issue, I shortened it taking into account the added length of the tilt mechanism and it works great. It telescopes 3" also, and that helps make a lot of room. When collapsed, and tilted up, the steering wheel is almost horizontal and almost against the glass. Pull it down and extend it right to the sweet spot. It allows room for my leg to move and work the clutch, and is comfortable to me. But that wasn't a coincident, I have many hours, blood, sweat, and swearing, no tears...but glad I did it. I don't think I could have made the car work for me without it. A stationary column with a removable wheel would make it some better to enter, but I really like being able to raise the wheel a little when I get busy shifting, then pull it down and back to kick back and cruise. At least it feels good in the garage, lol.
You won't need a sway bar on the front with 4 bar, not sure on the rear, just run it through its paces and see if you can visualize any body roll.

Yeah, I didn't think a switch that small would handle the load...but the next thought is usually "I could be wrong". With all my years dealing with VWs I should have remembered their dimmer relays. Now that I think about it, when the time comes, I probably have a lot of thought to put into lighting wiring...I'll be going with Xenon HID headlights, with the remainder of the lighting LED.

The telescoping feature is what makes the tilt work. What kind of column do you have there? For mine it's all going to be kick back and cruise...LOL. This thing is intended as a cruiser. V6, and an automatic with a shifter that's likely to be a stretch to work, makes for little else. My hope is to find a sweet spot or at least not a bad compromise for the column and wheel position for driving, and relying on the quick release to get me in and out. If it doesn't work, I'm in deep doodoo.

Yeah, I didn't think a switch that small would handle the load...but the next thought is usually "I could be wrong". With all my years dealing with VWs I should have remembered their dimmer relays. Now that I think about it, when the time comes, I probably have a lot of thought to put into lighting wiring...I'll be going with Xenon HID headlights, with the remainder of the lighting LED.

The telescoping feature is what makes the tilt work. What kind of column do you have there? For mine it's all going to be kick back and cruise...LOL. This thing is intended as a cruiser. V6, and an automatic with a shifter that's likely to be a stretch to work, makes for little else. My hope is to find a sweet spot or at least not a bad compromise for the column and wheel position for driving, and relying on the quick release to get me in and out. If it doesn't work, I'm in deep doodoo.
It's a mid 70's Cadillac column, shortened about 7 inches.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back