Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Racthet RIde

Remember what I said earlier about rules...there are no rules. Build what you like/want but build it safe.

Jim

Asked an off road rock climbing buddy of mine about the heims because they use them a lot. Do you a search for heavy duty heims and you will find a lot of info on the off-road sites. I think it would look kewel with oversize heims on about 1 1/4 dom for the bars. They are a little pricy. Speedway sells a rear end cover that looks like a quick change. Was considering using one myself since I'm doing the modified look. And i like the hood look and wanted to do it myself but my engine will sit way to high for it. Ron at RPM can build those bars or anything you can draw for the stuff you can't fab yourself. Give him a call. He's a cool dude.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 58
Working on the motor mounts and this is the style I am using.
91018040_L_1552e91e.jpg
Love building all the brackets and seeing them come to life. Of course someone showed me the way but still gratifying to build it yourself.
IMAG0895.jpg IMAG0908.jpg 91634545_L_16b1cd4e.jpg Waiting on the tubing to come in to build the bushed end of the mount. Also ordered parts for rear and building brackets for the four link.

Just a little update on our daughter. They made it back home Thursday night but with no sure fire diagnosis. There is a couple things they found that can be, together, causing the problem. So hopefully the new medications and therapy will work. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

I was thinking of the 4-bar setups like the one on my bucket as shown in the photo. They have the bushed ends we have discussed, with a single bolt attachment at the chassis end with the axle ends between batwings. The comments from the other board I referred to generally agreed with those in this thread - heim joints aren't usually used in this type of suspension on the street. Not everyone agrees and you should use whatever you want - as Jim said there are no rules for T-buckets and using good quality heim joints would certainly be safe. Although many buckets don't have hoods, some do and they look good either way. It comes down to a matter of personal preference and this is what appeals to bucketheads. The build quality and engineering range from primitive (such as my car) to excellent. An example of the excellent end of that spectrum is the motor mounts you are fabricating. As you mentioned, you were hooked on the fun these cars offer after a you had a ride - I know you are having fun with the build and will really have fun when you get the car on the road. I hope your daughter improves - my thoughts and prayers go out with the others.
Happy Holidays, Lou
4-bar.jpg

Thank you Lou Sauer and Happy Holiday's everyone! Not sure but I think I was nice enough this year for Santa to bring me my front axle, spring, shackles, pivots, spindles and king pin set. Now if it wasn't -8 degrees outside and I could keep the garage warm enough not to freeze my hands I might just do something today! If not I am hauling everything into work to my radiant heated shop! lol Everyone have a safe and Happy Holidays!

I remember those cold days back when I lived in northeast Ohio. I'm so glad that I moved to Florida.

Jim

I remember those cold days back when I lived in northeast Ohio. I'm so glad that I moved to Florida.

Jim
You are fortunate! I spent a little time there and it's nice. I was in Southern California this year for a few weeks also and the weather there is amazing! Wow! Almost no rain, zero humidity, high 70s-low 80's every day, no bugs. Incredible! And of course the car culture is second to none. We went to as many cruise-ins as we could find and met a lot of nice people. That's one thing I was really surprised at. How friendly they are there. Totally different from here in NY where everybody is angry and would run you off the road as soon as look at you. Now I know why there are so many people there! I wanna go!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! :whistling:

Last edited:

Jim

We are visiting my in-laws in Port Richey, FL second week of February and do hope it is warm then! Well I got the heat on and it isn't too bad right at the moment. Don't have much time as I am heading off to X-Mas with the family this afternoon. I did manage to get the Motor mounts fabricated and tack welded. Going to try and get the frame brackets done but may not have enough time. Will finish weld after I get everything bolted and lined up, including transmission mount which is next on the to do list.
IMAG0942.jpg

I grew up in Denver and thought I knew about winter cold until I moved to Minnesota. We then moved to Alabama and have been here for about 35 years. We do have some cold weather and even a little snow once in a while but nothing to compare to Minnesota. It is 27 degrees here now and will only get into the 40's today and 50's later in the week but at least those temps are above zero. Those motor mounts look good.

I used heims on everything. I also used 1 inch .218 wall tube instead of the 7/8's most seem to use.

I tapped the tube for 5/8s fine thread. I am considering changing the 2 heims that connect my radius rods to the frame to rodends. A little more give might be helpful to allow things to move a bit.

I used heims on everything. I also used 1 inch .218 wall tube instead of the 7/8's most seem to use.

I tapped the tube for 5/8s fine thread. I am considering changing the 2 heims that connect my radius rods to the frame to rodends. A little more give might be helpful to allow things to move a bit.
I've been considering using rod ends on mine as well. There's a good reason about all modern chassis are built with bushings. It's probably the limited miles most of these cars get that keeps some of the wear issues to a minimum. It just seems to me anyplace a bushing can be used would be a better design. But I'm definitely not the chassis guru! Just one gearheads 2 1/2 cents!

Just ordered axle from Ron Pope. Everyone's right about him. He answers your questions and helps you decide on what you need. I admit I do feel guilty about one thing though, I called back to have him put the batwings on the axle. So much for making every bracket myself! lol

Just ordered axle from Ron Pope. Everyone's right about him. He answers your questions and helps you decide on what you need. I admit I do feel guilty about one thing though, I called back to have him put the batwings on the axle. So much for making every bracket myself! lol
Did you have him do the adjustable wings! Don't feel bad I wanted his welding instead of mine on those too!!

You have to pick and choose your battles. At least I do anyway. There are just some things better left to the pros. That would be a tedious job without a jig. For the small added cost, you have saved yourself a few hours of labor and you are assured it's correct.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back