Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Racthet RIde

Yes I asked for the adjustable batwings. Your right about picking your battles. I scored big time on the purchase of spindles and rotors from a guy who ordered the wrong stuff for his build. So in my mind I justified the extra cost of having the batwings welded on by Ron. The spindles were 75 bucks and I paid 25 for both rotors and that is with king pin set! I told Ron I wanted to buy everything I needed from him but if deals like this pop up your a fool not to jump on them!

Wow is UPS slow anymore or what? Geez 4 days to get to NW Illinois from Knoxville? I have received from California in 4 days.

Hi everyone. It's been a long winter and time to finally get back to working on the Ratchet Ride. I took a few months off from working on it or even thinking about it to work on my health. After a scare back in December I decided to get myself in better shape and work on my health. I am happy to say as of January 11th I have lost 43.5lbs and went from a 42 waist down to a 36 waist. I have not felt this good in a very long time and love it! I have also added a driveway into the backyard in preparation for a new garage to house the build and after it is done. So a lot has been going on and I apologize for not updating sooner. Glad to report that all of us are now healthy and doing great!
Now back to the project. I am hoping to order some front suspension parts this week and wanting to get a roller by the end of the month.
1002660_10201160866774668_445634364_n.jpg 10301066_10201554044763872_6658259668850819393_n.jpg 10296182_10201569089059970_6246805001986064889_o.jpg 10010344_10201569089819989_4463837070151014860_o.jpg 1013876_10201469143081383_2146910586178864946_n.jpg

Definitely "ratcheting down" a few belt sizes Rob! Congrats....I'm a 40 waist and need to get down to a 190-200 lbs again. this is the year and you have given me some added inspiration! Any advice on how you did it?

Also congrats on getting back on your ride!

Cut out soda pop and snack cakes. Starting eating whole foods that you must cook! lol I stay active and started working out at the Y. As soon as I cut out soda I lost 17lbs in the first week alone! Stop drinking calories that are empty of nutrition and replace it with pure water with the occasional juice or milk. I try and use the 70% vegetables and 30% protein rule. I also went back to using what our mothers and grandmothers used. Lard and real butter along with olive oil. Works like a charm for me! lol Thanks for the kind words and I hope I did give you some inspiration! You all have done that with your post on this board so maybe I can give back a bit!

My weight loss led to a huge increase in energy and we have been enjoying the summer with our new 2014 HD Ultra Classic. We also welcomed our first grandchild in August. Been having so much fun camping and riding the project has been neglected!
As for the project, I have done some motor work and swapped out the camshaft along with the lifters. I have gotten a few parts in along with some raw materials. Garage has been a huge hassle as I didn't jump through enough hoops with zoning and now has been put off until next year.

I really like the vision you have for your bucket, and you have the skills to make that a reality. I will definitely be watching your awesome build!

The hits keep on coming but they haven't broken my spirit! Lost my Dad last month and having a hard time with that. He was the one that I always talked to about my T. I was really hoping to be able to take him for a ride but he is with Mom now and I find comfort in that. My back pain finally led me to get a MRI. Surgery is scheduled for December 31st but we are going to try injections first. Don't feel like being laid up for 6 weeks and 3 months recovery time but it is what it is. I thought loosing the weight and getting in better shape would prolong the inevitable but truth is being a mechanic for 20 years has taken it's toll. But like I said, my spirit is still good. Got to learn to trust that we are never given more than we can handle. On a happy note, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all.

Oh man, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. But I'm glad you are keeping your outlook positive. We all do have a lot to be thankful for, for sure. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy!

The hits keep on coming but they haven't broken my spirit! Lost my Dad last month and having a hard time with that. He was the one that I always talked to about my T. I was really hoping to be able to take him for a ride but he is with Mom now and I find comfort in that. My back pain finally led me to get a MRI. Surgery is scheduled for December 31st but we are going to try injections first. Don't feel like being laid up for 6 weeks and 3 months recovery time but it is what it is. I thought loosing the weight and getting in better shape would prolong the inevitable but truth is being a mechanic for 20 years has taken it's toll. But like I said, my spirit is still good. Got to learn to trust that we are never given more than we can handle. On a happy note, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all.

Stay strong! Physically & emotionally. These are issues God throws us so we can fully appreciate the good times. Hope your father saw his great (?) grand daughter/son.
Happy Thanksgiving. John

Hey, That shop is too clean, get to work! lol:)
I posted this before I read the entire post. I hope all is well with the family. It's easy to take things for granted until something like that comes up. I found that the shop helps me deal with issues better than a shrink and steel is a good trusty listener. Happy Thanksgiving!

Got a little done today. Got the motor mounts finished and tack welded to frame. Started on the transmission mount. Need to make tabs to bolt transmission mount to. Thought of welding the transmission cross member to frame for strength but the trade off would be making it harder to remove trans. Also got one of lift bars built, just waiting on rod end to get here. Steel shop was closed on Friday so I couldn't get some more material to make other lift bar. A little progress is better than none

Untitled3.jpg Untitled4.jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

It looks good. Just a thought on the transmission crossmember, it's probably easier to remove the engine and the transmission together as opposed to the trans by itself if it came to that, especially in these cars with all the working room. In that case it wouldn't matter if it was welded.

Got a little done today. Got the motor mounts finished and tack welded to frame. Started on the transmission mount. Need to make tabs to bolt transmission mount to. Thought of welding the transmission cross member to frame for strength but the trade off would be making it harder to remove trans. Also got one of lift bars built, just waiting on rod end to get here. Steel shop was closed on Friday so I couldn't get some more material to make other lift bar. A little progress is better than none

View attachment 10659 View attachment 10660 View attachment 10658 View attachment 10661
I seen one that was welded to the frame, but the center section was bolted in so it could be dropped out. I like the idea of bolting the entire cross member in for servicing or redesign down the road...Looks good, Progress is progress even in smaller doses!

It looks good. Just a thought on the transmission crossmember, it's probably easier to remove the engine and the transmission together as opposed to the trans by itself if it came to that, especially in these cars with all the working room. In that case it wouldn't matter if it was welded.

I agree, back when I raced open wheel dirt cars we pulled motor and tranny together most times. I guess the leading thought for me is like fletcherson said, it would be easier for a redesign down the road. Guess either way you got to cut and grind to move it but this way I wouldn't have to mess with the cross member. Simply unbolt and weld on new tabs. Maybe I am over thinking it but that is half the fun! lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back