Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starting on the rebuild.

Setting things in place

Tonight, I decided to set most of the front end up to REALLY see how things would fall in place. It was a drop in. My old frame is damaged, but not where I could use it to mock things up. I think this is going to look really good.

axlemockedinplace001.jpg

My only complaint is that I had wanted to place the tie rod BEHIND the axle. Unfortunately, it would hit the spring shackles during even a mild turn. Maybe I just need to put more thought into it, or perhaps someone makes longer lower steering arms.:eek: I don't mind the tie rod in front, that's the way it was before, but it would sure be cool to have the axle as the center piece of the front end. I'll think some more on it and will welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

axlemockedinplace002.jpg

Never the less, it still looks cool to me and I'm glad I decided to go with the "I" beam. Oh, I was going to paint the tie rod black, but Speedway had done it for me. I really need to call them tomorrow and thank their tech department for telling me what would work.

Looking really good Fred.It wont be long now.

Put a slight bend in them. I heated up the arms on my stock spindles and tweaked them to clear. Or run a spacer between the rod end and the arm.

Todd said:
Put a slight bend in them. I heated up the arms on my stock spindles and tweaked them to clear. Or run a spacer between the rod end and the arm.

Hmmm... I'll take a closer look at that possibility tomorrow. Thanks, Todd.

tfeverfred said:
Those are very close to what I was looking at getting. Again, my main concern would be the back spacing. If you can get that measurement and it's what I need, I'm sure we can work something out as far as price.

Thanks again for the offer.

I will try to get you some info ASAP.

Rick said:
Looking really good Fred.It wont be long now.

Thanks, Rick. I'm chuggin' along and loving it.:lol:

old round fart said:
Hey Fred, Did you see the dropped arms at Speedway?

Street Rod Steering Pitman Arms

Measure how much drop you need an see if they will work. I like the looks of the behind the axle tie rod too. Makes the axle the focal point on the front end. Holes would look nice too!!!

I've really got to start checking this site before I come home.:) I'll check tomorrow to see if a dropped set would give me the clearance I need. The thing is, it's not the drop I need. The arms need to be about 1" longer. It doesn't really bother me that much because it's a cosmetic issue. I can live with the tierod in front, but I'll always wonder "what if?".

what they are telling you fred is that with the dropped arms the tie rod should go under the hair pin bracket. this will let you run the tierod behind the axle. if it looks like the drop isn't enough, check with chassis engineering, they offer two different dropped spindle arms.

Ron

tfeverfred said:
Those are very close to what I was looking at getting. Again, my main concern would be the back spacing. If you can get that measurement and it's what I need, I'm sure we can work something out as far as price.

Thanks again for the offer.

Fred -

It looks like the back spacing is over the 2" you specified. Sorry, I was really hoping I could help you out, but not sure my current wheels will work for you.

engine24355 said:
Fred -

It looks like the back spacing is over the 2" you specified. Sorry, I was really hoping I could help you out, but not sure my current wheels will work for you.

No problem it was worth a shot. Thanks for the effort.

Superbowl morning fun

I got up early this morning and finished prepping the axle and assorted hardware for paint. A friend of a friend agreed to spray them for me today. Well, this being my first time prepping for paint, I didn't do a good job and after the laughs, I got a lesson in it.:eek:

So, the pieces got painted ( I tried my hand at that too) and the red is a sweet match to the powdercoating I had on the old axle. I didn't have my camera with me, but after work tomorrow, I'll get some pics.

The axle will be red, like before and the steering arms, brake brackets and spring will be in black. The new frame arrives this week and I'll try to prep it:eek: and get it painted, so I can start putting MISS FORTUNE together this coming weekend.

Man, it sure feels good to be moving along at a good pace.

^5 Fred glad your back at it !!

Fred, I crashed my T into a drunk b!tch that tried to make a U turn right in front of me.. BAM! looked like your ride.. hehe I know, not funny, I was up and running 2 days later, no chrome, and only primer on my newly welded in front crossmember, kinda Teed my off to say the least... Hope you get up and running by Summer.. I was lucky as I had all the parts ready to assemble, axle and all..

Re: Setting things in place

Fred you said... My only complaint is that I had wanted to place the tie rod BEHIND the axle. I see what you have now in t his pic, You should be able to bolt the steering arms to the opposit spindles on the top, throw that honky top steering arm away, and fab a new one that you can weld to the bolt on arm, let it go down so it will be more in line with your steering pitman arm mount. and out of the way of the tierod. That is also one of the reasons I make my spring mount weld to the bottom of the front crossmember, not much sticking up that way, also make your front spring sit almost flat, that will lower your frame (if you can clear the ground with your oil pan and such)... and give you the clearance you need for your tie rod.. Try it and see if you have the room to make it work, I know you can do it... just may take a little time...

"Back in Black" - ACDC

That's what was playing on the radio at work when the deliver guy dropped off my new frame just now!:rofl: :rofl:

newframe.jpg

I'll take it the paint guy this evening and get another lesson in paint prep. Actually, I'll just stand back and learn some more.:rofl:

Funny, but it was like Deja Vu seeing the frame sitting in back of that truck. Here we go again, back in the saddle.:rofl: It's gonna be a VERY cool weekend.

Rick said:
How mant stickers this time?LOL

:rofl: I was lucky. Just one packet with a packing list. Of course, it was held on with Gorilla glue.:rofl:

Man did you luck out like i said i had 3 of them boogers and had to sand blast them.If i was you id try and get them off now before king kong sets up

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back