Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Upgrade! Bigger! Stronger! Faster!

tfeverfred

I mentioned a while back that my ole' 305 SBC was having issues. Okay, here's the skinny. I don't have pics, but I found out what the noise was. Bad crank mains. One clyinder was dead. A friend who builds motors, listened to it and broke me the news. It was an '84 SBC high mileage and just gave out. Shit happens.

Now the GOOD news. He had a few motors he had already built and I'm going with a 350SBC. Nice cam, fresh heads and ready to run. He gave a great price and I dropped it off today. Should have my T Bucket back Tuesday. So... BIGGER! STRONGER...FASTER... we have the technology! I'll probably upgrade the rearend this fall.

Fred,

Congrats on the engine exchange! I suspect you'll be replacing tires soon after as well.

PaulR

Oh.... YES! No, actually I had gotten new rear tires just before the motor went crazy. Probably too many test drives.

Well...... isn't a burnout part of the test drive? Gotta make sure the new tires leave a good pattern. Keeps the ricers on thier toes.

Picked up my T a couple hours ago and after a test drive... all systems awesome! I had a look at my old 305sbc and was surprised at what my mechanic found. Besides the bad mains, the heads were for a 350. The timing chain was on the way out and the oil pump was the same. The spark plugs looked like shit.

So, he had an '86 350 that he had built for someone who never paid him. All it needed was an intake, cam and lifters. So, I had him pick out a holley Street Dominator intake, mild street cam and lifters and all is well.

He also rebuilt my carb. I've got great throttle response and she purrs like a kitten. I went with a 160 thermostat and I was driving in the Houston heat at 180.

Man.... it feels sooo good to have my T back! I was going crazy!

Love it! Pics Fred... PICS!!!!

No camera yet. It sucks not having one. I'm going to bite the bullet soon.

That is down right awwsome Fred !!!!!!!!

That is down right awwsome Fred !!!!!!!!

I'm pretty stoked. My motor guy said my engine was in such bad shape, that I was probably only getting around 100HP. I drive it now and 70mph comes WAY quicker than before. Leaving at a light calls for a little side stepping to not squeal the tires. Combined with my newly rebuilt transmission, this is a winning setup. Tomorrow, I'm going to get on the freeway and let breath for a while.

Hey Fred, you should start saving for new rear tires NOW!:thumbsup:

Fred, what kind of camera are you looking for? Something decent or point and shoot or ????

Fred, what kind of camera are you looking for? Something decent or point and shoot or ????

After this engine, I'm not looking hard at all. When I get something, it'll be something that just takes a photo. Nothing fancy.

Not making any promises, but I've got an old Sony digital camera that takes pictures directly to small CDs. It's not as good as the new 12+ MP cameras they have today, but still takes good enough pics for the web. If I can find the charger I will mail it to you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back