Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wheel size

I always run 15 x 4 on the front. Then 15 x 8 to 15 x 14 on the rear. It really just depends on what you want and and how you want to drive the car. The big tires on the rear, don't do good at all in the rain.

No standard, only your personal taste. Mine are 15x4 and 15x10.

15x6, and a guesstimated 4.5" backspace on the front are definite...

Wire wheels.jpg

15x7 with 2" backspace on the rear are probable...
Rear wheels.JPG
I'd hoped for 15x8s on the rear, but I've not found any that are DOT approved in silver (not chrome) and my 4x4.25 bolt pattern

It's a 4 bolt 4.25 pattern....from an 88' Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. But it's the same Ford 8.8" axle as used in the 79-04' Mustang. I went with this axle because it is wider than the Explorer units. I need the extra width because the body I have is 6" wider than most, and with the bobtail style I'm going for the body will be set back far enough that the widest part of the body will be between the wheels.

the tank is called the U2 from Tanks Inc. Its kinda pricey but I am happy with the quality and customer service from the company.

It's a 4 bolt 4.25 pattern..if that woukd help .from an 88' Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. But it's the same Ford 8.8" axle as used in the 79-04' Mustang. I went with this axle because it is wider than the Explorer units. I need the extra width because the body I have is 6" wider than most, and with the bobtail style I'm going for the body will be set back far enough that the widest part of the body will be between the wheels.

You could easily change those axles for very little money to get 5 bolt if that would help your wheel selection. You just need 2 Ranger or Aerostar driverside axles and brakes.

You could easily change those axles for very little money to get 5 bolt if that would help your wheel selection. You just need 2 Ranger or Aerostar driverside axles and brakes.

Yes, that would be an option, but I do not think that would allow me to keep the disk brakes on the rear. I believe that the Ragers and Aerostars were drum only. I'm more and more OK with settling for those 15x7 Bassett DOT wheels. They are dirt cheap, and I can use the same tires I was planning on if I got 15x8s. Also, a friend has given me the idea of putting the Bonneville style spun aluminum wheel discs on them if I decide I do not like the looks of those wheels.

I got 15x8,5 gragar s/s for the rear and searching for 4-6x15 for the front. Something classy, wires or such.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back