Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Which engine would you pick and why?

Well, I love them all, the only reason why I built a BBF is just to be different.
Well, back in storage junk room I have a old Caddy V12, bought it off this old fella that had lost about everything, a really down on his luck case. Get it off of him, fixed him up with some retirement folks....
Anyway, its all there, I pickled it 15 years ago. It will be up on my motor stand after I retire....nice bucket material.

Excellent choices there. The Jeep engine is plentiful, powerful, and cheap. I love the Poncho ohc idea, too, or maybe an Aussie Ford six with the cross flow head.
There's been a few Pontiac OHC-6s and some speed equipment popping up on ebay lately...it's taken a good deal of will power to pass them up...LOL

I love all these ideas of using old-school powertrains. Anyone for a three-on-the-tree?

No branch yankers for me. Between serious joint issues and and simply being too lazy it's automatics for me....and preferrably overdrive units. If those were not the case, Buick OHV and Packard 327 straight 8s would have made the list.

I don't think I've ever heard of any of the engines mentioned so far. are they all made overseas or something? :roflmao:

Russ

409692517.jpg

I did have a Straight 8 I was hording, I tore it down toward the first of the year....it was a mess inside. Before I got it, someone had just straight water in it, screwed everything up. I got it for free, wasn't out anything, looked great from the outside, a little greasy. Both the head and block were scrap.
Theres very few good old motor out there, that doesn't cost a small fortune.

I did have a Straight 8 I was hording, I tore it down toward the first of the year....it was a mess inside. Before I got it, someone had just straight water in it, screwed everything up. I got it for free, wasn't out anything, looked great from the outside, a little greasy. Both the head and block were scrap.
Theres very few good old motor out there, that doesn't cost a small fortune.
I have a good running 89 350 to use in my T, but I really want to find a 283. Can't even find one of those, and just a few years ago they were a dime a dozen. (Maybe those few years are actually more years ago than I care to admit)

:eek:
Can't even find one of those, and just a few years ago they were a dime a dozen. (Maybe those few years are actually more years ago than I care to admit)

I know what you mean. The last 283's were put in production cars 47 years ago!:eek: Just doesn't seem that long to me at least.

Several years ago when my grandfather passed away, we were cleaning out his shop. We kept the 4 barrel carbs he had collected and tossed the 2 barrels. When I built my first set of 3x2's, I thought the 2G's would be a dime a dozen at the salvage yard. In reality, there were almost no good ones to be found.

I imagine the 283's are a victim of high scrap prices and little interest. Most folks don't appreciate the little engines and would rather build a 350. I have a 283 short block in my shop, but it needs a sleeve in one cylinder. I was going to put it in my T, but didn't want to spend the money at the time. I'm saving for future use.

mike

That's a pretty interesting design. I guess if the small shaft has "lobes" on it where the rockers attach, then that shaft could be turned to vary the compression ratio of the engine. Cool!

Russ

I would probably go with the verticle valve cover thing. Nailhead? Yeah, nailhead. Some time back, like 15 years ago or so, I was at a swap meet and this:

.....was there for sale. Thought it really, really cool looking. Guy was wanting somewhere around $10,000 for it, which was ridiculous. But it had that look that I like!

That barn-find T is just wicked cool. I'll bet there's some interesting history somewhere on that one also. personally I would have used an 8 stack, but the blower ain't bad either. ;)

Russ

:eek:

I know what you mean. The last 283's were put in production cars 47 years ago!:eek: Just doesn't seem that long to me at least.

Several years ago when my grandfather passed away, we were cleaning out his shop. We kept the 4 barrel carbs he had collected and tossed the 2 barrels. When I built my first set of 3x2's, I thought the 2G's would be a dime a dozen at the salvage yard. In reality, there were almost no good ones to be found.

I imagine the 283's are a victim of high scrap prices and little interest. Most folks don't appreciate the little engines and would rather build a 350. I have a 283 short block in my shop, but it needs a sleeve in one cylinder. I was going to put it in my T, but didn't want to spend the money at the time. I'm saving for future use.

mike
I've built many a wicked little race motor using the 283's, the swapping parts between the 265's and the 327's, etc...., all kinda tasty little screamers to be had....makes me sad that those good little motors weren't appreciated. Wish I'd kept 3 or 4 of them around....
Definitely one of the best running little motors of all time....
I've blown up alot of bellhousings with them because that clutch couldn't take the rpms....that was before the scattershields folks....

I would probably go with the verticle valve cover thing. Nailhead? Yeah, nailhead. Some time back, like 15 years ago or so, I was at a swap meet and this:

.....was there for sale. Thought it really, really cool looking. Guy was wanting somewhere around $10,000 for it, which was ridiculous. But it had that look that I like!
Was that with the trailer? Hahaha....:coffee: Looks like a oldie, looks like a old pontiac or olds rear/ maybe a 9", nail head?w/ 4-71 up front.....no brakes up front.....no tail-lights

I would probably go with the verticle valve cover thing. Nailhead? Yeah, nailhead.

If I had to go with a V8, my choice would be the Buick/Rover aluminum variation of the vertical valve cover configuration. Long ago and far away, I had one in a 63 Skylark convertible...Loved it.

I admit for budget purposes you just can't beat the small block chevy. However, I've often wondered about the future with some of the newer engines...incredible power without all the cubes....still, I'm an old school guy who admits a little chagrin with all that!!!

I admit for budget purposes you just can't beat the small block chevy. However, I've often wondered about the future with some of the newer engines...incredible power without all the cubes....still, I'm an old school guy who admits a little chagrin with all that!!!
I'm definitely part of the old school crowd that still think "there is no replacement......for DISplacement!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back