Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Support Rods

LensBucket

The T-Bucket I just purchased came with a 14" and a 20" high windshields. I have been looking on this forum to see how exactly one would put the supports on the windshield frame. Both are just one solid pieceof glass woth round tubular frames. What type of fasteners are available for the support to attach to the windshield? Body is from Total Performance and is about 6 years old. Will this body hold up the resistance of wind at 70 - 80 mph with either windshield?

There are a few ways to mount the support rods, you need to find out if your windshield frame is solid or hollow. If it's hollow, the sleeve will come out and you can thread it. Our rods go to the frame on brackets, others go to the base of the headlight mount pad.
The straight up windshields hold up better with support rods, regardless of the height..but as they get taller they catch more wind

Satterfield Kit.jpg

You don't need supports with the shorter windshield IMO. On both my straight and layed back 14" units the window bolts in between the posts with 2 bolts one each side. The window frame is a channel with a hole drilled through it. You could drill and tap your own hole. You would need to be super careful not to hit the glass though.. My car is a TP car with TP frames.

P6190147.jpg

When we built my Son's car we used a TP body and glassed in two pieces of oak that run from the area where the windshield mounts down to the floor. We ran bolts and nuts through the posts and it hasn't moved at all. Not sure why Norm Grabowski used support rods, but they looked cool on his car.

Don

donstinteriorfinished003.jpg

Will this body hold up the resistance of wind at 70 - 80 mph with either windshield?

Finding out the answer to that question could be rather painful. I think this is one place to err on the side of caution.

Mine is laid back 20 degrees and I've had it over 100 MPH with no problems.

Jim

theres not much of mine so I freeze at 6am on a run and get windburn on way home :(:laugh:

Attachments

• 935457_10201196414292164_833047740_n.jpg
    935457_10201196414292164_833047740_n.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 30

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back