Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

A week or so ago, I cut out the access hole for my master cylinder and brake pedal arm. I saved the piece of the floor I cut out and adhered it with 3M 5200 Fast Cure to a piece of 16GA. I added a small knob to pick it up and remind me which end is the front.:rolleyes:. It fits just right. Nothing fancy. In my last T Bucket, the hole was smaller than I liked. So, I made this one a little larger at 4.25" x 8". The access cover is 6" x 8.5".

full

full
Nice work, Fred!

Jim

Well, no new updates. I'm casually saving for a daily driver and shuffling money to the guy building my engine. I live a 10 minute bus ride from work and have actually gotten used to it. Getting to my grocery shopping isn't an issue either. The temptation to divert all my savings to the T Bucket is strong. But I think I'm going to satisfy that urge with a small part, next week. Something to keep the flame bright.;) So, Tuesday I'll call Diane at CCR and order my fiberglass grill shell and I'll order the S/S screen for the grill.

I tossed between the chopped '32 shell and the conventional T shell. I finally decided on the T shell. Here's a link to the S/S mesh I'll be using.

Coarse Mesh Stainless, #4 x .047 Wire (4 openings per inch) - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

Speaking of work, I got assigned to a different department and my hours are really "Fred friendly". Monday - Friday, 11am to 7:30pm. So, even though the company has been slicing hours, my new position guarantees a 40hr week. Weekends off and I get to sleep late. Since I do my best car work, late at night, the hours are great. :D

Last edited:
My grill shell and S/S wire mesh arrived yesterday. The grill shell came primered or that's what it looks like. Last night, I trimmed the mounting tabs to fit my frame and drilled the holes for where she'll mount. Then, I cut and bent the mesh to fit. Today, I'll glue in the insert and let that dry over night. Depending on the weather tomorrow, I'll prep and paint the grill shell.

full

I trust you will leave the SS unpainted? Sounds like a 'killer' look! :thumbsup:

PS - Where did you get the idea(s) for how to fasten the grille to the shell? o_O

I trust you will leave the SS unpainted? Sounds like a 'killer' look! :thumbsup:

PS - Where did you get the idea(s) for how to fasten the grille to the shell? o_O

Paint over S/S? No way, man. I pressed/formed the edges of the mesh into the grill opening recesses. Then, I'm using a thick bead of 3M Fast Cure 5200 to hold it. Gawd I love that stuff.

Last night, I taped off the screen on both sides. This morning, I applied a coat of primer to the inside and let it dry. Flipped it over for a coat of primer and 3 color coats. I had 2 small runs, but was able to wet sand them smooth. I meant to take pics outside, for better light, but the rain clouds were coming.

full

full

I know I'm being dumb, but can I ask why you didn't paint the rad shell before you put the S Steel in?

I know I'm being dumb, but can I ask why you didn't paint the rad shell before you put the S Steel in?

Because I didn't want to get scratches or glue on what would have been a fresh paint job. Painting it first was a thought, but I knew I'd be handling the shell a lot and then there's applying the glue I used to hold the screen in. Taping off the screen took all of 15 minutes.

There are no dumb questions.

Just sat the shell on to get a look. I'm pleased with it.

full

full

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back